Best time for a Touch n Go at ATL?

I just heard Atlanta Approach turn him over to Center on my handheld. (This is what shelter-in-place will do to a man). :)

so he did it then...great!
looking forward to a report....

I was thinking back to my tower tour there, and that in all the times I've flown airliner in out and through atl it seems there wouldn't be a need to wait till 2AM or whatever..... seems like that as long as you don't get hung by some bad weather up north backing things up (happened in the middle of my tower tower), then typically the airliners all seem to come in at once. Sit at the gates for a while. Then all leave for the next batch. Good slow time between each cycle. I know it's not that linear, but kinda..... no?

I never will understand the fascination with landing big Bravo airports, ever. They're big, wide, and easily landed. I just don't see the challenge. I suppose if one is hidebound in love with leaving with lots f jet traffic, but then why go in an 2 in the morning?
Obvious I suppose, but I think it's a bragging rights thing. I find it kinda cool to say I landed a 172 at DCA, even if it was no big challenge or big deal. (it was long before 911). One big airport challenge that sticks in my mind had more to do with your mixing it up with traffic point.... flying into ORL once and approach control was blathering on with so much traffic in the area it was hard to get clear air to call.

If I am not wrong I think brad is doing the same at MSP today @sinister

Looking forward to the pirep @Ryanb

What an absolute blast!

I departed FGU shortly after 5p and called up Chattanooga and picked up flight following from FGU to ATL at 5500. They passed me along to Center and then to ATL Approach around Calhoun. Checked in with them at 5500 and told them that I was looking to join the sequence for a full stop at Hartsfield. When I was about 10 miles north of Kennesaw, they gave me the Bravo clearance, descended me to 4500, gave a 180 heading and said to plan on runway 8L. Kept plugging along, and once I was about over Dobbins ARB they asked if I had ATL insight, I told them, ‘field in sight’, and they said to proceed direct to the numbers for 8L and altitude was my discretion. About 10 miles north of ATL, they handed me off to Tower on 19.1, where I checked in. I was cleared to land when I was about 8 miles out, so that gives you a sense of how slow things were. Arrival traffic was minimal, but departure traffic was fairly steady. Tower had me turn off and join Bravo to taxi back to 8R for departure. Held short of 8R and he gave me a clearance out... ‘N11G you’re cleared out of the Bravo Airspace via the ATL9 departure and then expect vectors to FGU shortly after, maintain 3500, expect 4500 within 10 minutes, squawk 5xxx.’ Read it back, and he said I would be behind the 2nd CRJ-200.

The takeoff was uneventful, just runway heading to about 1000agl and then they turned me to 010 before climbing me to 4500 and giving me direct destination.

All in all, this was an absolute blast and by far a true bucket list item checked off the list. If anyone has wanted to do this, now is the time to do it.

6E1253F7-8B54-484C-B857-5E6AC78D8B57.jpeg 5C2CC595-EC9F-4028-A71A-0F958809B102.jpeg B236373B-7801-41E7-8A6C-BD5F9412D9C6.jpeg 34F7EAC8-B501-462B-AC32-B470E6B14D32.jpeg 33356F0B-8E63-4F9F-902D-099F9325A863.jpeg AF04BE0E-2EB8-464E-AA08-55CCFF541EB9.jpg BEABFA20-4B8C-4F1D-B153-7055FDEA9558.jpeg 9C50AB61-F1F2-4193-B838-039B84F393A2.jpeg
F2D1BC65-3D0A-4EBD-AFB4-D59FF880B85F.jpeg

@Ryanb did you call first or just go for it? I'd like to go to ORD if I get a day off.

Cleared to land 8 miles out. Amazing.

I saw a couple of guys on the Georgia Pilots Facebook page posting that they did the the same thing. The controllers must be saying “WTF”. :)

121.00. That explains why I only heard the controller, but not your response. I was hoping to sneak in a quick hello.
I was on 121.0 on the way down, but they put me on 126.97 on departure until they handed me off to Center on 133.1.

What an absolute blast!

I departed FGU shortly after 5p and called up Chattanooga and picked up flight following from FGU to ATL at 5500. They passed me along to Center and then to ATL Approach around Calhoun. Checked in with them at 5500 and told them that I was looking to join the sequence for a full stop at Hartsfield. When I was about 10 miles north of Kennesaw, they gave me the Bravo clearance, descended me to 4500, gave a 180 heading and said to plan on runway 8L. Kept plugging along, and once I was about over Dobbins ARB they asked if I had ATL insight, I told them, ‘field in sight’, and they said to proceed direct to the numbers for 8L and altitude was my discretion. About 10 miles north of ATL, they handed me off to Tower on 19.1, where I checked in. I was cleared to land when I was about 8 miles out, so that gives you a sense of how slow things were. Arrival traffic was minimal, but departure traffic was fairly steady. Tower had me turn off and join Bravo to taxi back to 8R for departure. Held short of 8R and he gave me a clearance out... ‘N11G you’re cleared out of the Bravo Airspace via the ATL9 departure and then expect vectors to FGU shortly after, maintain 3500, expect 4500 within 10 minutes, squawk 5xxx.’ Read it back, and he said I would be behind the 2nd CRJ-200.

The takeoff was uneventful, just runway heading to about 1000agl and then they turned me to 010 before climbing me to 4500 and giving me direct destination.

All in all, this was an absolute blast and by far a true bucket list item checked off the list. If anyone has wanted to do this, now is the time to do it.

View attachment 84281 View attachment 84282 View attachment 84283 View attachment 84284 View attachment 84285 View attachment 84286 View attachment 84287 View attachment 84289
View attachment 84290

:rockon:

Is SEX (South Express Way Airport a bit south) still open? Flew into there a few times in an Apache back in college. Nice folks and not much traffic.

Is SEX (South Express Way Airport a bit south) still open? Flew into there a few times in an Apache back in college. Nice folks and not much traffic.
Must’ve been before my time, because I’m not aware of any airport around with that name - but seriously they couldn’t come up with a better identifier??

Sounds like the gig is up. ATL said no go twice. Turned out to be a good thing as my left main flatted landing at RYY. I got some vibration at LGC, then flat at RYY.

Wayne

Must’ve been before my time, because I’m not aware of any airport around with that name - but seriously they couldn’t come up with a better identifier??

Me like the identifier ...

Sounds like the gig is up. ATL said no go twice. Turned out to be a good thing as my left main flatted landing at RYY. I got some vibration at LGC, then flat at RYY.

Wayne
They must’ve had enough of our shenanigans! :D

Way to go @Ryanb. ATL is much busier than our Bravo (MSP) and much bigger so that must have been awesome. And thank goodness they (ATL) don't have that ridiculous AF/D entry stating all landings must go to a ramp. Hopefully Minnie is unique in that regard. Loved the pictures.

Weird, His flight doesn’t show when I pull it up on flight aware.
Actually it does. If it was not a IFR flight they often don't show up unless you enable "Position Only Flights" under your account. If you don't have an account you can create the basic one (free) and enable this option. Then it usually shows ADBS-out equipped VFR flights in progress as well unless they are too low. I am guessing since he did a full stop and taxi back the time on the ground wasn't quite long enough for the Flightaware algorithm to break it into 2 flights. But its pretty dang obvious from this track:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N2111G

I am guessing since he did a full stop and taxi back the time on the ground wasn't quite long enough for the Flightaware algorithm to break it into 2 flights.
Yeah, I was on the ground for 9 minutes and my ADS-B didn’t get turned off, so it just kept it as a single round trip flight.

When the airport is dead, they’ll probably allow it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right from KATL's the AF/D remarks section:

"ALL RYS, TOUCH AND GO OPERATIONS, LOW APPROACHES, AND PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES NOT PERMITTED."

Its hard to imagine with how strict things are these days that a Tower controller, and more likely his/her Tower Supervisor would deviate from what is published.

What is so cool at ATL is that they do not prohibit full stop and taxi back!

Here is from our (MSP) remarks:

"TRNG FLTS PROHIBITED. GA FLTS MUST TRMT AT THE FBO OR US CUSTOMS UNLESS APVD BY AMGR."

...I asked for a full-stop and taxi back and was denied. However, unlike KATL the Tower supervisor said a Low Approach was allowed! So Minnie does not prohibit low approachs. Each Bravo airport (or its parent Commission) must decide this? Or maybe the airport manager just write it up they way they like. If nothing else the Bravo's are not all the same for a VFR landing request.

They must’ve had enough of our shenanigans! :D
There were several airliners showing on ADS-B the first time, so some traffic. On the way back I saw 3 or 4 going to ATL from when I was just north of LGC to talking with RYY's tower, so they had plenty of space for more traffic then. So, yeah I think they're tired of the little planes coming in for fun.

Ended up being ok as my left main was basically flat at that point, I just didn't know it.

Wayne

I asked for a full-stop and taxi back and was denied. However, unlike KATL the Tower supervisor said a Low Approach was allowed! So Minnie does not prohibit low approachs. Each Bravo airport (or its parent Commission) must decide this? Or maybe the airport manager just write it up they way they like. If nothing else the Bravo's are not all the same for a VFR landing request.
Yeah, at least for me, they issued a departure clearance “cleared out of the Bravo airspace via...”

So while it seems like a low pass and touch and go are simple, in the busy environment of the Bravo, they have to coordinate everything and time each operation, so it kind of makes sense why things are, the way they are.

There were several airliners showing on ADS-B the first time, so some traffic. On the way back I saw 3 or 4 going to ATL from when I was just north of LGC to talking with RYY's tower, so they had plenty of space for more traffic then. So, yeah I think they're tired of the little planes coming in for fun.

Ended up being ok as my left main was basically flat at that point, I just didn't know it.

Wayne
Bummer... maybe you can try it again another day!

I started learning to fly there in '79. Been closed for several years. The Clayton County courthouse and jail are on the property now.

That wasn't the identifier. It was 9A7. I started learning to fly there in '79. See post above for its fate. :)

BrianNC thanks! I had forgotten about the airport until a few days ago when looking in my jewelry the lapel pin they gave me appeared. Always wondered what happened to it.

Awesome! And thanks for the pictures!
held short of 8R and he gave me a clearance out... ‘N11G you’re cleared out of the Bravo Airspace via the ATL9 departure

Were you VFR or IFR on the departure? Sounds like the flight was under VFR, but you mentioned a SID (ATL9)?

Regards,
Martin

Awesome! And thanks for the pictures!

Were you VFR or IFR on the departure? Sounds like the flight was under VFR, but you mentioned a SID (ATL9)?

Regards,
Martin
I was VFR, but CD assigned the ATL9 departure out of the Bravo.

Back