The IMPOSSIBLE Turn 500FT - Engine FAILURE on Takeoff! (it's not impossible)

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
what does POA think of this video?

ahh i missed that discussion .. anyway. interesting exercise, hope a low time someone doesnt try this and create a crater in the ground

i went to the other thread and read those. good stuff there @write-stuff . I brief myself what i was taught, fan stop working below 700, i am landing up front, may be 30 degrees left or right depending on obstacles. i have tried the turn back at altitude and realized i am not skilled enough to pull that off, so for now, i am sticking with what i know i can and hopefully not hit something with the nose.

i went to the other thread and read those. good stuff there @write-stuff . I brief myself what i was taught, fan stop working below 700, i am landing up front, may be 30 degrees left or right depending on obstacles. i have tried the turn back at altitude and realized i am not skilled enough to pull that off, so for now, i am sticking with what i know i can and hopefully not hit something with the nose.

Wise decision.

I’ve practiced these at altitude to figure out roughly how much altitude I lose. Depends on the plane, too.

What most people don’t consider is were you doing Vy for that climb out? Vx? Or cruise climb like most people because they don’t pay attention. Cruise climb will put you further out from the runway and all the numbers go right out the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue of the impossible is not that it's impossible. Heck, if you're at 1000', almost anyone can get back to the runway.

The issue is that at some altitude, it becomes impossible and most people do not know that altitude for the airplane they fly. Even then, it requires close attention during banks and with bank angles not to stall.

Can we start calling it the "really dangerous unless you know the numbers" turn?

The issue of the impossible is not that it's impossible. Heck, if you're at 1000', almost anyone can get back to the runway.

The issue is that at some altitude, it becomes impossible and most people do not know that altitude for the airplane they fly. Even then, it requires close attention during banks and with bank angles not to stall.

Can we start calling it the "really dangerous unless you know the numbers" turn?

Agreed. 500’ might work in a 172. In our Cherokee Six, don’t even think about it until 1,200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those who haven't should read @write-stuff's links. There is no altitude for the plane we fly in. The minimum altitude that will work in a given situation is dependent on many factors including the current configuration of the plane, the current wind, the geometry of the runway environment, the type of climb-out, the pilot's knowledge/skill, the pilot's actual execution that day, and probably some other factors I'm not even thinking of. The point of the video was that the turn is not necessarily impossible below 1000', despite various myths. On the other hand, that doesn't mean a pilot should execute the turn in an emergency when below 1000'. If you put a lot of effort into determining what altitude will work for a given situation, and brief it prior to departure, you may be able to execute it safely should the engine failure occur.

Even 1000' isn't a safe turnback altitude in many circumstances. With something less than a steep climb and a 3500 foot runway or less and 1000' may well put you so far out that you can't make it back.

What most people don’t consider is were you doing Vy for that climb out? Vx? Or cruise climb like most people because they don’t pay attention. Cruise climb will put you further out from the runway and all the numbers go right out the window.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

PM me your size and US snail mail address and I'll send you a t-shirt.

upload_2020-4-6_10-29-23.png

Last edited:
Back