Airport security badge

drjcustis

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Drjcustis
At our class C airport, we have to have a security badge to access our hangar. These badges must be renewed annually within one’s birth month and require recurrent training. With the current Covid-19 shutdowns, it would seem that an identification badge renewal would not be essential. Our airport disagrees. Of note, we are in one of the few states that is not under a shelter in place order. After several emails, I received this:

The TSA issued a security directive (SD 1542-04-08P) that allows all current badge holders to sustain their expired badges and privileges during the COVID-19 crisis to align with nation’s social distancing/shelter in place requirements. In doing so, all personnel will return for their recurrent training once the security directive is terminated. Here at *** our non-movement/movement training components are tied into our security training through annual AAAE IET video interface. Prior to exercising leverage within the security directive, I checked to see if the FAA had extended any such grace period to credential holders with their recurrent non-movement/movement training dates. They have not at the time, so we did not elect to exercise the security directive and merely continue operations under the rearranging our airport badging office. Our FAA inspecting informed me that they would only extend training to individuals within this timespan under extreme operational circumstances, in which we could not take actions to feasibly operate our airport badging office.

Anybody have any better insight into the security directives of the TSA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At our class C airport, we have to have a security badge to access our hangar. These badges must be renewed annually within one’s birth month and require recurrent training. With the current Covid-19 shutdowns, it would seem that an identification badge renewal would not be essential. Our airport disagrees. Of note, we are in one of the few states that is not under a shelter in place order. After several emails, I received this:

The TSA issued a security directive (SD 1542-04-08P) that allows all current badge holders to sustain their expired badges and privileges during the COVID-19 crisis to align with nation’s social distancing/shelter in place requirements. In doing so, all personnel will return for their recurrent training once the security directive is terminated. Here at *** our non-movement/movement training components are tied into our security training through annual AAAE IET video interface. Prior to exercising leverage within the security directive, I checked to see if the FAA had extended any such grace period to credential holders with their recurrent non-movement/movement training dates. They have not at the time, so we did not elect to exercise the security directive and merely continue operations under the rearranging our airport badging office. Our FAA inspecting informed me that they would only extend training to individuals within this timespan under extreme operational circumstances, in which we could not take actions to feasibly operate our airport badging office.

Anybody have any better insight into the security directives of the TSA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same issue this month. I have to go in, sit at a testing computer for two hours watching training videos and take a test that requires a 95 or 100% pass rate. I'm not happy about doing it....

It's not just the Feds. In our state, the governor ordered the state police to not enforce the car safety inspection requirements. He did not extend the valid dates of the inspections.

So the order applies to the state police. It doesn't apply to local police, local code enforcement people where codes require a current inspection sticker (or a car may be deemed "junk" even if in a driveway, or any possible insurance requirements. Our local county won't (yet) put anything In writing that say they are suspending enforcement.

So it appears that to avoid problems with the locals one must get their car inspected.

The bureaucracy is confused. They’re unlikely to become unconfused before this is all over with.

Let me guess... there’s a fee collected with this magic badge renewal too... :)

Just went through this at KELP, had to sit down for a couple hours watching videos and testing, on the same crap I took last year, and the years before that. Why can’t I just take the damned test? And yes, there is a fee to renew your badge.

Back