Tailwheel Endorsement...I'm your Huckleberry

Radar Contact

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
Primarily based on hearing on this board how much getting your tailwheel improves your stick and rudder skills, I decided to finally knock that off the aviation bucket list.

This is lesson 1 of a 20 year pilot that owns and primarily flies a twin. While I've had several rides in taildraggers, they've all been with very accomplished pilots. These are my first takeoff and landings and they aren't pretty. :)

In the next lesson I mounted an external camera for wheel landings. I haven't edited it yet but I'm sure that will be a fun one.

Maybe when I get the sign-off @Mtns2Skies will let me give his 180 a spin?

Any critiques from you tailwheel guys are much appreciated.

I like your instructor, He says a lot of the same things I say.
2nd landing looked a bit right of center line, you did a nice job bringing it back to the center line.
loved the slip "more right rudder"
I thought your the bouncing landing was caused more by touching a bit to early, you may have rounded out too high and then didn't flare when it did start dropping.
it won't bounce if your tailwheel is on the ground.
loved the "get the Stick back" instructions, I tend to say that a lot.
interesting you tend to go right of center line, most people tend to go left.
other things you would hear me say..
"work on staying on the center line and you won't have to worry about going off the runway"
"Small smooth corrections early, if is getting better it is fine"
"keep you feet off the brakes, until the rollout is stable"

I agree with your instructor I think you did excellent and you will likely progress quickly through the tailwheel training.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

"work on staying on the center line and you won't have to worry about going off the runway"
well just make sure your instructor doesn't get his boot caught under the right rudder pedal when doing T&G's then..... I nearly hit the runway light heading into the grass on the left side of the runway.
Fortunately, I let off the pressure, and he was as comfortable with that little 140 cessna as a normal person is walking. Recovered out of the grass, back on the runway, and continued like nothing happened. An old WW2 mustang pilot was my understanding, named Hawkeye. I wish I knew his real name. (Flying out of Tampa Bay Exec, X41 back in the mid 1990's if anyone here knows...)

Back in my Pitts days I had a pair of racing shoes I wore when flying that airplane. It was the only footwear I could fit in the wells. You need the feel too. Boots would be no bueno.

Fun to watch... keep them coming... you'll get a lot out of flying tailwheel airplanes, possibly to the point that you'll call everything else out there a "noseplower."

well just make sure your instructor doesn't get his boot caught under the right rudder pedal when doing T&G's then..... I nearly hit the runway light heading into the grass on the left side of the runway.
Fortunately, I let off the pressure, and he was as comfortable with that little 140 cessna as a normal person is walking. Recovered out of the grass, back on the runway, and continued like nothing happened. An old WW2 mustang pilot was my understanding, named Hawkeye. I wish I knew his real name. (Flying out of Tampa Bay Exec, X41 back in the mid 1990's if anyone here knows...)

Well of course S**t happens. But it wasn't you that took it off the runway. I have had a few excursions off the runway, most recently due to a broken tailwheel spring that I now I believe was the wrong tailwheel spring for the airplane.

Brian

Looks pretty good overall, and it looks like you're having fun too.
One little thing, at 19:30 and that landing. During the bouncing, watch your right hand, it's kind of along for the ride and not controlling the pitch, which is increasing the PIO.
Be aware of that and not let your hand just flop around loosely. You don't need a death grip either, just be aware of what your hand is doing to the pitch. Stop your hand from following the bounce to stop the PIO. Does that make any sense?

What's fun about tailwheels is that you can decide to TO in a 3-point attitude, or start to roll and bring the tail up right away, or anything in-between. Same with landings, 3-point it or wheel it on or in-between, depending on the conditions.

Now that you have such a heavy plane mastered, come out and fly a 65 hp Champ with a 1220 gross on a breezy day with heel brakes.

Maybe when I get the sign-off @Mtns2Skies will let me give his 180 a spin?

Any critiques from you tailwheel guys are much appreciated.

No. :). I'm glad you've decided to come over to the light side! It's an awesome challenge that never stops being a challenge. I started flying taildraggers because I could jump into any flightschool plane on a whim and grease the landing whether it was piper, cessna, diamond or grumman. But I've had my 180 for 2 years and put 200hrs/yr on it and she still kicks my ass.

It's a license to learn... Enjoy it!

Back in my Pitts days I had a pair of racing shoes I wore when flying that airplane. It was the only footwear I could fit in the wells. You need the feel too. Boots would be no bueno.

I fly in my Chacos all summer and rubber boots in the winter. Feel is important.

Now that you have such a heavy plane mastered, come out and fly a 65 hp Champ with a 1220 gross on a breezy day with heel brakes.

X2

Those are cowboy boots on my feet...
mfiA25Gjh1r8GWdPSSGMXVs-ufzdtINvZjepQtldREMrht52heQ1XynirfAYaEYRfU9ZuWDXPYggDYdY9DYcKs67ykFO1mTDiOMh5Rl2XIzBF1dXTrT0eBfZnNoW-y5sNgUENsyLh3s4h826zJzpacELN3YXTVdO006iBZIXgG21Z7vPWVHtyPUzE6wUI3x_O5l14ZadMf6Sp2_Z2x18chsFcA6BgGqC3uDMcMCWpygBfMeWQcDt1LO5yTsSrvXUQ2xV6YS2VpyXhcByo-N4mvwPmrBmxX0yPC2RGw9y8NwkNrwhuSsOCnBeT_7UKhpm7s5r0mp8uDASK00GVBvvf7gjcWh8Yhe-iqmluFrC5IOQswcowYXSXeGTH2mT1s4GZGq-0MPX_EbDCzxzsIN4nnevLFj7-r5UY8OtEffiaf30Bbn4VpcbSC7YckwP_LGAiHA3wmgWf-xAHDLl-3CnG5OJXFrMsQKnVxN3ZZjWeftFVe0dRCZ7PA4gwXzH7zRK_zZK90ucYaeIgGc1k6l12B3MQfSu3OHDuldkpQgUe6VpzbVFH75m7Fp6bKpAt8uS9d8ubnbqsfCeNV2Wubc2VCSnQEgeFwSHC31R1EB_Ixr16WgpHe8t8jfS6EZ_J7KvjvtVXo2eudVUWlOybmuJi8XqeiTITTElgSyQSitHLVqlmaH_AwtL8cDs9RFZMN9FXO5X41DNLQLTsOheuPI-VdNPJxsrpmgz1mRAGphRrpzJkorjVNxJfg=w1403-h938-no

so finally had a chance to watch. Good times!
I've gotta say...you make it look easy Kevin!

Jared's comment about the shimmy on your first landing was very interesting to me. Between a horrible tailwheel shimmy and to a lesser degree never really getting used to pushing the nose down on the takeoff roll, I never did build enough confidence to finish my signoff. I wonder if that may have been part of what was going on. Maybe too much pressure on it.
I started out with about 7 hours in an old 7AC Champ. Comparing my memory to your video it was an extreme handful compared to that thing you're flying. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the tailwheel on it was never rigged exactly right cause it would shimmy like a bad shopping cart even at taxi. Once or twice after they had tried working it it would be smooth for a bit....but never seemed right and I could just never ignore it. Many years later only about 1.8 hours more in the 140 with Hawkeye I wrote about earlier but I still couldn't get it.
Anyway, your first few landings look great to me!!!...and those slips bring back some fun memories for me.

Oh what's with the attitude indicator in that thing. Don't think I've seen anything like that before. Fake, or some sort of caged aerobatic version?

what is it with those heel brakes? Very awkward... I guess it was just a simple and cheap way of doing it, but is there some benefit?

I like your instructor, He says a lot of the same things I say.
2nd landing looked a bit right of center line, you did a nice job bringing it back to the center line.
loved the slip "more right rudder"
I thought your the bouncing landing was caused more by touching a bit to early, you may have rounded out too high and then didn't flare when it did start dropping.
it won't bounce if your tailwheel is on the ground.
loved the "get the Stick back" instructions, I tend to say that a lot.
interesting you tend to go right of center line, most people tend to go left.
other things you would hear me say..
"Small smooth corrections early, if is getting better it is fine"
"keep you feet off the brakes, until the rollout is stable"

I agree with your instructor I think you did excellent and you will likely progress quickly through the tailwheel training.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
Thanks Brian! My instructor, same one who took my wife on her first aerobatic ride (Extra300), has the perfect temperament for instructing. I think part of my going right of center line this day was the wind was off the left. :) Thanks for the suggestions! After my second lesson now, much of what you are saying is making sense.

Fun to watch... keep them coming... you'll get a lot out of flying tailwheel airplanes, possibly to the point that you'll call everything else out there a "noseplower."
Thanks Ryan...glad you enjoyed it! I did get a few acro rides in a Pitts S2B about 20 years ago (what a blast)...never tried landing or taking off though. I usually wear hunting boots everywhere (comfortable on my ankles) except flying. I usually just wear house shoes in the 310 on long flights or the boots on short ones as feet finesse isn't a big deal. I was glad to have a pair of shoes on for this lesson! The rudder seemed ultra sensitive having flown the twin for so long. After I finish up the endorsement, bring on the Beech 18. :)
Looks pretty good overall, and it looks like you're having fun too.
One little thing, at 19:30 and that landing. During the bouncing, watch your right hand, it's kind of along for the ride and not controlling the pitch, which is increasing the PIO.
Be aware of that and not let your hand just flop around loosely. You don't need a death grip either, just be aware of what your hand is doing to the pitch. Stop your hand from following the bounce to stop the PIO. Does that make any sense?

What's fun about tailwheels is that you can decide to TO in a 3-point attitude, or start to roll and bring the tail up right away, or anything in-between. Same with landings, 3-point it or wheel it on or in-between, depending on the conditions.

It does make sense now. Thanks for the critique! I couldn't remember if I was suppose to get the stick back or unload it...as I was thinking what he had told me earlier, I think I just let it go along for the ride. :) I did notice on my second lesson that my grip was much lighter than this one. Maybe 3rd lesson will be the charm on it all coming together. I feel comfy with the takeoffs and 3 point landings (comfy not graceful)...the wheel landings on lesson 2 kicked my butt a bit. A Champ is on the list of must fly one of these days.
No. :). I'm glad you've decided to come over to the light side! It's an awesome challenge that never stops being a challenge. I started flying taildraggers because I could jump into any flightschool plane on a whim and grease the landing whether it was piper, cessna, diamond or grumman. But I've had my 180 for 2 years and put 200hrs/yr on it and she still kicks my ass.

It's a license to learn... Enjoy it!
I know what you mean about it always being a challenge. Even when I felt like I had the speed, round out, crosswind correction, etc all set, something always seems to introduce itself subtly different. If I can't take her for a spin, maybe you could take me for a spin one of these days. I promise not to touch anything. :)
so finally had a chance to watch. Good times!
I've gotta say...you make it look easy Kevin!

Jared's comment about the shimmy on your first landing was very interesting to me. Between a horrible tailwheel shimmy and to a lesser degree never really getting used to pushing the nose down on the takeoff roll, I never did build enough confidence to finish my signoff. I wonder if that may have been part of what was going on. Maybe too much pressure on it.
I started out with about 7 hours in an old 7AC Champ. Comparing my memory to your video it was an extreme handful compared to that thing you're flying. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the tailwheel on it was never rigged exactly right cause it would shimmy like a bad shopping cart even at taxi. Once or twice after they had tried working it it would be smooth for a bit....but never seemed right and I could just never ignore it. Many years later only about 1.8 hours more in the 140 with Hawkeye I wrote about earlier but I still couldn't get it.
Anyway, your first few landings look great to me!!!...and those slips bring back some fun memories for me.

Oh what's with the attitude indicator in that thing. Don't think I've seen anything like that before. Fake, or some sort of caged aerobatic version?

what is it with those heel brakes? Very awkward... I guess it was just a simple and cheap way of doing it, but is there some benefit?
Thanks Brad...it's starting to come around for me a bit. I've got two lessons down and the next one scheduled. Jared was spot on as when that happened again after this just a light unloading stopped it pretty quickly. Maybe it was that for you or as you mention, maybe it just wasn't rigged well? I must admit, it's been a loooonnnggg time since I slipped a plane and I was a bit surprised how well this plane could be slipped. Maybe I'll try it in the 310 sometime. :) To be honest, I never really looked at the AI as I was always looking outside. I thought it was some sort of turn and bank as opposed to AI but have no idea. I'll have to actually look at it next time.

Subbed to your channel after seeing this. Great stuff!

Truth is, the airplanes that have heal brakes really only need them to hold the airplane during runups and MAYBE to turn tighter while taxiing. If you need them any other time, you are either doing it wrong, or shouldn’t be flying.

Once I got used to them they were no big deal. Besides, you are much less likely to get too aggressive with the brakes with heel brakes.

At the risk of impuning your instructors’ street cred, a couple of points: There is simply no reason (in a Citabria or Decathlon) to either hold the stick back when taxiing or force the tail up prematurely during the takeoff. During the taxi all you’re doing is prematurely wearing out the tailwheel. With two people in the airplane, there is probably 250lbs of weight on that corner of the fuselage, hell, I defy you to try to even lift the tail, (try to do that sometime) so what’s the point of back stick? How can you tell when the tailwheel is wornout? It shimmys! I tell my students to be gentle to the tailwheel, it takes a great deal of abuse. I’ve seen broken u-bolts holding the leaf-springs on more than one occasion.To be fair, there may be some airplanes that are very light in the tail (or heavy on the nose) in which stick back can’t hurt, but in such airplanes the real issue is to be light on the brakes. As tailwheel airplanes go, the type you’re learning in is the EASIEST, which is to say, in some tailwheel airplanes, agressively raising the tail early in the roll will result in an uncontrollable veer to the runway lights; perhaps you’ve heard the term “exit, stage left.” Can you do that? Sure. But it makes little difference unless in a strong crosswind, other than improving your instructors’ view. I taught in Citabrias for over 1000hrs.

If nothing else, holding the stick back keeps the elevator out of the weeds. G
Just that wee little bit of extra ground clearance.

A lot of the "rules" for tailwheels depend on the particular airplane, or even more often, the airplane your instructors instructor learned in.

Tail up? My ride flies off from a three point with no muss, no fuss in about 3 seconds (and I can see just fine with the tail down). Other airplanes, you need to get the tail up to reduce induced drag and give yourself an even chance of getting up to speed before you run out of runway. Some airplanes with big heavy props get interesting if you shove the stick forward. A 65 horse T cart is like, "What. You talkin to me?"

Some have grabby brakes and not much weight on the tail. WOO HOO! I have to work hard to lift the tail with the brakes in my ride, plus steering with brakes is a piece of cake. (The old man ended up with the Cessna 120 on it's nose with mom in the right seat - blamed it on the Grabyears. Installed a nice set of Clevelands right quick.) Now, jamming the brakes on as hard as you can significantly reduces your finesse and the roll out looks like you are drunk. But, hey, when you are trying to do a stop and go in less than 1000 feet...

Three point vs. Wheel? Bob Dole's underwear. Eh?

At the risk of impuning your instructors’ street cred, a couple of points: There is simply no reason (in a Citabria or Decathlon) to either hold the stick back when taxiing or force the tail up prematurely during the takeoff. During the taxi all you’re doing is prematurely wearing out the tailwheel. With two people in the airplane, there is probably 250lbs of weight on that corner of the fuselage, hell, I defy you to try to even lift the tail, (try to do that sometime) so what’s the point of back stick? How can you tell when the tailwheel is wornout? It shimmys! I tell my students to be gentle to the tailwheel, it takes a great deal of abuse. I’ve seen broken u-bolts holding the leaf-springs on more than one occasion.To be fair, there may be some airplanes that are very light in the tail (or heavy on the nose) in which stick back can’t hurt, but in such airplanes the real issue is to be light on the brakes. As tailwheel airplanes go, the type you’re learning in is the EASIEST, which is to say, in some tailwheel airplanes, agressively raising the tail early in the roll will result in an uncontrollable veer to the runway lights; perhaps you’ve heard the term “exit, stage left.” Can you do that? Sure. But it makes little difference unless in a strong crosswind, other than improving your instructors’ view. I taught in Citabrias for over 1000hrs.

Okay, I'll bite... the Citabria and Decathlon were the main airplanes I taught tailwheel flying in. But it's been awhile. Nowadays the only tailwheel airplane I fly somewhat regularly is a J-3.

The trick with all of these discussions is that any advice we tend to give as instructors can never been absolutely true all of the time. There are always exceptions.

In general, I recommend the old "climb into the wind, dive away from the wind" advice which appears everywhere, including FAA publications. But I make it a point to say "relative wind." If you're creeping along with a 15 knot tailwind gusting to 20, sure, hold the tail down with forward stick. Like you mentioned, with two aboard, the tail is pretty well stuck on the ground and it would take a hefty pull for a person standing by the tail to get the empennage off the ground. But as soon as there's relative wind, it's an airfoil and subject to doing what airfoils do.

I tend to think of things from a Human Factors standpoint so I think about the possibility of students modeling my behavior across the board without consideration for changing factors. Let's say you have a lightweight pilot, maybe 120 lbs., flying solo which of course is in the front seat in a Citabria or Decathlon. The tail of the same airplane will come off the ground easily. Because we as instructors tend to fly the same airplane a lot it is very easy for us to build small modifications into our behaviors based on the changing conditions, i.e. "don't wear the tailwheel out with aft stick while taxiing at normal speeds in calm winds with two persons aboard." But those are two many modifying factors for most people new to tailwheel flying to consider. I.e. it's probably better to let them give the tailwheel a little extra wear and tear rather than the possibility of the wrong input at the wrong time.

Greg brings up a good point, taxiing on a rough surface, for example, with a bit of wind -- you're going to want that stick back to keep the prop clear as you roll over the uneven surface.

Further, especially when instructing in tailwheel airplanes, I believe it's an instructor responsibility to remember that while a Cessna 172 and Piper Archer are only nominally different and can basically be flown with the same techniques, the same is not true of two different tailwheel airplanes. The ground handling characteristics of two "benign" tailwheel airplanes can be dramatically different. Taxi around in a Cub with any kind of wind while failing to consider the position of the stick, and there can be consequences for the unwary.

I agree regarding premature lifting of the tail on the takeoff roll. I call the range of airspeed from brake release to "tail up" speed to be "no man's land." The tail should either be planted on the ground or flying. Wait for the correct airspeed (no need to use the ASI -- it can be eyeballed/felt) and then decisively -- but smoothly -- bring the tail off the ground. Leaving the stick loosey-goosey in the middle of the square is the least desirable option yet it can and does work fine for many airplanes, i.e. "fly it off just like that..." but again, considering it's a training operation, the stick ought to be brought forward at the proper time on the takeoff roll to teach good habits. Later on in the tailwheel flying journey the pilot can decide how he or she wants to fly the particular tailwheel airplane they're enamored with.

Also read your POH carefully. Lots of people fly Cessna taildraggers against the takeoff recommendations of the manufacturer - and generally I can prove to them that the book technique actually does work better. That's at least true for the 120/140/170 series.

Okay, I'll bite... the Citabria and Decathlon were the main airplanes I taught tailwheel flying in. But it's been awhile. Nowadays the only tailwheel airplane I fly somewhat regularly is a J-3.

The trick with all of these discussions is that any advice we tend to give as instructors can never been absolutely true all of the time. There are always exceptions.

In general, I recommend the old "climb into the wind, dive away from the wind" advice which appears everywhere, including FAA publications. But I make it a point to say "relative wind." If you're creeping along with a 15 knot tailwind gusting to 20, sure, hold the tail down with forward stick. Like you mentioned, with two aboard, the tail is pretty well stuck on the ground and it would take a hefty pull for a person standing by the tail to get the empennage off the ground. But as soon as there's relative wind, it's an airfoil and subject to doing what airfoils do.

I tend to think of things from a Human Factors standpoint so I think about the possibility of students modeling my behavior across the board without consideration for changing factors. Let's say you have a lightweight pilot, maybe 120 lbs., flying solo which of course is in the front seat in a Citabria or Decathlon. The tail of the same airplane will come off the ground easily. Because we as instructors tend to fly the same airplane a lot it is very easy for us to build small modifications into our behaviors based on the changing conditions, i.e. "don't wear the tailwheel out with aft stick while taxiing at normal speeds in calm winds with two persons aboard." But those are two many modifying factors for most people new to tailwheel flying to consider. I.e. it's probably better to let them give the tailwheel a little extra wear and tear rather than the possibility of the wrong input at the wrong time.

Greg brings up a good point, taxiing on a rough surface, for example, with a bit of wind -- you're going to want that stick back to keep the prop clear as you roll over the uneven surface.

Further, especially when instructing in tailwheel airplanes, I believe it's an instructor responsibility to remember that while a Cessna 172 and Piper Archer are only nominally different and can basically be flown with the same techniques, the same is not true of two different tailwheel airplanes. The ground handling characteristics of two "benign" tailwheel airplanes can be dramatically different. Taxi around in a Cub with any kind of wind while failing to consider the position of the stick, and there can be consequences for the unwary.

I agree regarding premature lifting of the tail on the takeoff roll. I call the range of airspeed from brake release to "tail up" speed to be "no man's land." The tail should either be planted on the ground or flying. Wait for the correct airspeed (no need to use the ASI -- it can be eyeballed/felt) and then decisively -- but smoothly -- bring the tail off the ground. Leaving the stick loosey-goosey in the middle of the square is the least desirable option yet it can and does work fine for many airplanes, i.e. "fly it off just like that..." but again, considering it's a training operation, the stick ought to be brought forward at the proper time on the takeoff roll to teach good habits. Later on in the tailwheel flying journey the pilot can decide how he or she wants to fly the particular tailwheel airplane they're enamored with.

A well reasoned rebuttal, Ryan. I, too teach the “climb into a headwind, dive away from a tailwind” method, but mention that it might be a while before a new tailwheel pilot would fly in winds that require the technique. I think I’ve flown a J-3, a C90 powered model only once, nearly 40 years ago, but given the ubiquity of Cubs as trainers it makes sense that FAA documents would encourage the method. Nowadays, only taildraggers I fly regularly are my Luscombe and Stearman and, as you say, are as different from a Citabria (and one another) as Gary Cooper was to Liberace. I only teach on occasion, and then just tailwheel, but when I do, I’ll take my student for a ride in my airplanes. It’s fun for them and for me.

Looks better than my first few.. but i was a low time guy who had 4 years of rust to knock off... now im hooked 150 hrs later... Weekends are now meant for grass strips. You did great!

That was a blast. I’ve not finished my endorsement but loved my time in the Citabria.

Got a serious chuckle when he reintroduced you to slips to a landing. My tailwheel guy tried the same trick and yelled “whooo hooo! That’s it!” from the back seat when I just racked the thing over until I ran out of rudder and fell out of the sky.

My primary instructor was big on slips and stick and rudder in general and wouldn’t let me do them half assed. LOL!

Anyway the tailwheel guy laughed all the way down and liked where I removed it and then I bounced the landing trying to do my first wheel landing out of it. LOL.

Managed to fix it unaided with a touch of power at the top of the bounce but thought for a brief moment that I might need a change of underwear. Ha.

And it wasn’t a big bounce, I just got instantly cocky after that slip. Hahaha.

This stupid neuro thing goes enough away, I’m definitely booking more time in the tailwheel, besides my trusty ol’ beautiful 182.

A well reasoned rebuttal, Ryan. I, too teach the “climb into a headwind, dive away from a tailwind” method, but mention that it might be a while before a new tailwheel pilot would fly in winds that require the technique. I think I’ve flown a J-3, a C90 powered model only once, nearly 40 years ago, but given the ubiquity of Cubs as trainers it makes sense that FAA documents would encourage the method. Nowadays, only taildraggers I fly regularly are my Luscombe and Stearman and, as you say, are as different from a Citabria (and one another) as Gary Cooper was to Liberace. I only teach on occasion, and then just tailwheel, but when I do, I’ll take my student for a ride in my airplanes. It’s fun for them and for me.

Thanks for the reply. Mine was not so much of a rebuttal as an additional comment. It's true, a lot of aft stick in a loaded up Citabria or Decathlon won't do much for you during surface movements. But it's a variable and it's hard for new-to-tailwheel-flying folks to account for all of those every time. Hopefully I was providing a little bit of commentary which added to the conversation.

Despite consistently eluding my grasp, the Stearman has always been on my list of airplanes to fly. There's one around my neck of the woods available for checkout, but no solo (unsurprisingly). I've been wanting to do it for awhile, but so far, it hasn't worked out.

Thanks @Ryan F. , @j1b3h0 , @Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe , @Greg Bockelman , @denverpilot , @Huckster79 , @SC777 and others for the insights, compliments and constructive criticism. All very valuable when learning a new skill in aviation. In reference to stick forward on departure, back during taxi and other things brought up, my instructor did stress that each tailwheel has very different characteristics from each other and truly needs a solid checkout (even more so than many tricycles) in each prior to going off solo/PIC. I believe some of the SOP he was teaching me was not necessarily meant exclusive to the Decathlon but more generalities of a foundation in tailwheel flying. That said, I'm a 20 year rookie in this world and having a blast with it. :)

Unrelated to tailwheels "cleared for takeoff full length" - what's the "full length".

Learning wheelies in a '48 Cessna 120, I had a hard time not bouncing but I'll use the excuse that that model had a reputation for being springy... Once I got it it, I preferred wheelies in that airplane. (Current ride, three point more often than not.)
Doing a flight review in a Taylorcraft, the instructor told me to shove the wheel full forward when it touched down - my first reaction was YGTBFSM, but, it worked.
On the other hand, my brother was in a big flying club, after the second prop strike on the Citabria, they found out that one of the instructors was teaching the students to SHOVE the stick on touchdown.

What happens is the mains touch which stops the descent of the front of the aircraft, but the tail still continues downward (Newtons first law) and if you let it go down, angle of attack increases which picks you back up. That's why it likes to bounce. More sink, late on the stick - bounce. Or, trying to shove the mains down with early forward stick, bounce.

I'd say you did pretty darn good.

Making progress, Radar. Couple things I noticed: during each of your landings you looked down (to adjust the trim, I presume). I would strongly discourage you from that habit. Don’t ever take your eyes off the road during the landing, just FEEL for the trim if you must. A technique you might try is to approach the flare with a little nose-down trim, then after touching down gently, just release the back pressure. Read THE PORPOISE EPIPHANY. It explains the one gotcha of Citabria/Decatlon wheel landings.

I am still learning. The hardest thing for me was to relax. In order to fly a tailwheel, you need to relax. Of course, in order to be relaxed, you need to know how to fly a tailwheel...

Things that helped me, in no particular order:
1. My instructor drilled into me that a wheel landing is like the takeoff roll, but in reverse. You're just flying down the runway at a very low sink rate.
2. Don't anticipate the application of forward pressure.
3. The difference between a skip and a bounce is subtle at first.
4. Trying to "catch" a PIO feels hinky to me. Converting a bounced wheel landing to a three pointer feels hinkier. If you have enough runway, you can power up and try again. If you don't, you can go around. You really don't want to get down into the no mans land of where the wing is still flying but you lack tail authority.
5. I think the thing that helped me the most was carrying a touch of power to minimize sink and get a little more air over the tail. Mains down, power to idle, elevator to balance the brake torque, tail down in a controlled manner, stick back, more brakes...

Last edited:
Converting a bounced wheel landing to a three pointer feels hinkier.

As a super low timer tailwheel guy that sentence gave me the heebie jeebies. LOL.

Maybe some super duper well practiced pilot could do it in their sleep, but that one would be a big “nope” from me!

Wheelies are kinda silly excess energy landings in lots of planes but the best ones are those where you touch down so slick that you don't even need to bump the stick forward at all...the slight drag of the tires alone is enough to cause just enough pitching moment to stick it. If you touch down slick enough the tires spin up slow enough that they don't even chirp. Kinda like hitting the dead nuts sweet spot of the golf club, it keeps ya working to recreate those rare ones.

Last edited:
As a super low timer tailwheel guy that sentence gave me the heebie jeebies. LOL.

Maybe some super duper well practiced pilot could do it in their sleep, but that one would be a big “nope” from me!

It's standard stuff with minimal experience but it just goes to show how pointless it was to have attempted a wheelie in the first place. :)

It's standard stuff with minimal experience but it just goes to show how pointless it was to have attempted a wheelie in the first place. :)
I tend to agree: wheel landings just wear out tires and brakes. Stearman pilots will tell you the biggest difference between wheelies and 3-point landings is in the cost of repairs if it doesn’t work out well. But some airplanes are always wheel-landed, Twin Beech, DC-3 come to mind. But even then, I like a nice, tail low wheel landing. Very satisfying if you can do it.

Just watched your videos and they make me wanna go fly a tailwheel again. Got my endorsement during my IFR training, but haven’t flown one since

Great video! Really like the over the shoulder and wing tip cams. Good that you experienced that little excursion while in the null zone. Controls are a little less effective as you slow, and wheels not quite getting all of the friction from the ground yet. That is where it can bite.
Heard the instructor say "neutral position" I guess in reference to the stick? Were you putting forward pressure on the stick after the wheels touched? Fun to watch;-)

Back