spinning a mooney in IMC is fun!

Ohhh damn--you had me based on the thread title. I was worried about a Mooney spin much less one in IMC. Hopefully the gyro failure was on the ground or VMC.

I think that thing has a higher roll rate than an f-16!

Impressive roll rate! Even better than an Extra!

I flew a 210 once that had an AI like that. It worked fine as long as the engine was running, but shut the engine down and it was spinning like a, well, spinning AI.

Then one time it made a loud crash noise and never spun, or worked, again...

Eh, I know I eventually have to go that direction or something similar but for now I like a coupl’a hundid vs a coupl’a thousand....
I thought you had an Aspen E5 or something similar in your plane?

I thought you had an Aspen E5 or something similar in your plane?

I do, and would prefer a second aspen over the G5, but I have to keep future auto pilot upgrades in consideration. As long as the old brittain AP keeps working, it makes sense for me to just overhaul the current AI than splurge stupid money on the new stuff. Even if I went G5 I can’t fully lose the vacuum system because the autopilot relies on it as well.

I do, and would prefer a second aspen over the G5, but I have to keep future auto pilot upgrades in consideration. As long as the old brittain AP keeps working, it makes sense for me to just overhaul the current AI than splurge stupid money on the new stuff. Even if I went G5 I can’t fully lose the vacuum system because the autopilot relies on it as well.
I gotcha. That makes sense

What number was it on when it stopped? Did you win?

Think of the reaction you could get if you could turn that on and off in actual IMC conditions.
How long before a passenger:
1. pukes
2. craps their pants
3. jumps out
4. all of the above.

Betting pool, anyone?

Think of the reaction you could get if you could turn that on and off in actual IMC conditions.
How long before a passenger:
1. pukes
2. craps their pants
3. jumps out
4. all of the above.

Betting pool, anyone?
It’s more fun to cycle the windshield heat and make the whiskey compass spin in circles...scared the crap out of my captain years ago! :D

Back