Toilet Paper

Did my weekly grocery run to Costco and hit the mother-lode:

mother_lode.jpg

Notice the absence of a fighting mob. Costco only allows X number of customers into the store and had cops at the door to deter TP looters. I was reminded of WHY we have a 'shortage' when two of my fellow shoppers discussed just how many bricks they are going to be able to fit on their cart :confused: Those are 30 packs, I mean just HOW many rolls of TP do you think you need missy ? What are you doing with this stuff ?
Picked up one bale and a bale of paper towels and moved on. Very little chicken otherwise the store was fully stocked on foot items.

Due to the new protocol where everyone is advised to wear a mask of some sort (not the N95) when outside, I went on Amazon Prime and ordered a 30-pack. $15 plus or minus.

Delivery is estimated at the end of April through mid-May. Yet this morning the status has been upgraded to "shipped".

Wednesday I went to my local Sam's club. The TP aisle was empty. A coworker said his wife had scored a package at Sam's the day before, but she went in early in the day where I stopped in late afternoon. So maybe they are stocking overnight and selling out early.

I was able to pop into my local grocery store this morning and find a 12-pack, so now we are set again for a while. But even at that store, I'll bet that by later this afternoon all that will be gone. People still need the stuff, but to get it you need to work at it.

I've heard stories about Sam's or Costco and the lines to get in, but I'm wondering the context - are those lines right at opening time? When I was at Sam's Wed, it was about 4pm or so and it felt to me like there were no more than a dozen customers inside the store. When I got to the parking lot I even wondered if it was open because there were so few cars in the lot.

Did my weekly grocery run to Costco and hit the mother-lode:

Notice the absence of a fighting mob. Costco only allows X number of customers into the store and had cops at the door to deter TP looters. I was reminded of WHY we have a 'shortage' when two of my fellow shoppers discussed just how many bricks they are going to be able to fit on their cart :confused: Those are 30 packs, I mean just HOW many rolls of TP do you think you need missy ? What are you doing with this stuff ?
Picked up one bale and a bale of paper towels and moved on. Very little chicken otherwise the store was fully stocked on foot items.
Yes, there were pictures early on - before states started issuing stay-at-home orders - of big-box store customers (might have been Costco) loading their carts with a half dozen or more bales of TP.

Due to the new protocol where everyone is advised to wear a mask of some sort (not the N95) when outside, I went on Amazon Prime and ordered a 30-pack. $15 plus or minus.

Delivery is estimated at the end of April through mid-May. Yet this morning the status has been upgraded to "shipped".
Link please?

And I've noticed the same on shipping.

Re: long lines to enter stores....

As a nation we should be sorta thankful of the timing of the year when this is peaking. And not the shopping madness that is mid-November to Christmas.

On the on-line toilet paper front. I ordered from Amazon and WalMart early on. Both said early April, Amazon's got moved up and arrived in a week. WalMart was supposed to be here yesterday(backup one-ply) and hasn't shipped yet and now says delayed. I suspect WalMart's on-line has to fight with their stores for product.

I'm seeing fairly regular availability for pre-orders from Amazon but they're changing how they present them slightly. Sometimes they even say unavailable but if you click on the item, it shows "Only Available From Third-Party Sellers" and then if you click that then it shows Amazon with an extended shipping date. Yesterday I saw early May and late April on 2 different brands. So, if you need a non-urgent restock it may make sense to check there as well.

We have an apartment over our garage, with a separate entrance. Some friends sold their house and need a place to stay, so we're letting them live there for a while. I texted here 'BYOTP' and she knew what I meant without any explanation (and has plenty).
We have enough for six weeks, unless one of us gets sick ...

I just ordered some memory off NewEgg. They offered a box of facemasks they purchased from one of their chinese suppliers with the deal.

I just ordered some memory off NewEgg. They offered a box of facemasks they purchased from one of their chinese suppliers with the deal.
I ordered some memory from Amazon, all they offered me is a ship date in April, maybe, probably with my spool of 3d printer filament also delayed.

I ordered some memory from Amazon, all they offered me is a ship date in April, maybe, probably with my spool of 3d printer filament also delayed.

There has been an announcement from Amazon they stopped fulfillment on computer parts that are not ordered by healthcare or public safety customers so they can re-deploy the staff to handle orders of household and healthcare related goods :

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp...?itemID=GF37V7QBB8WSVF43&tag=bisafetynet2-20&

NewEgg doesn't ship toiletpaper, so they have no reason to pull staff off the computer parts business. Hope the 'in-stock' message wasn't completely made up.

Last edited:
Wednesday I went to my local Sam's club. The TP aisle was empty. A coworker said his wife had scored a package at Sam's the day before, but she went in early in the day where I stopped in late afternoon. So maybe they are stocking overnight and selling out early.

I was able to pop into my local grocery store this morning and find a 12-pack, so now we are set again for a while. But even at that store, I'll bet that by later this afternoon all that will be gone. People still need the stuff, but to get it you need to work at it.

I've heard stories about Sam's or Costco and the lines to get in, but I'm wondering the context - are those lines right at opening time? When I was at Sam's Wed, it was about 4pm or so and it felt to me like there were no more than a dozen customers inside the store. When I got to the parking lot I even wondered if it was open because there were so few cars in the lot.

I went to Costco last Sunday morning, about 15 minutes after it opened. No TP, but I was they had paper towels, but also no chicken. This morning, I went to Target when it opened at 8 and was able to get a six roll pack of TP. That store is being remodeled, and there was a nice and very efficient lady directing shoppers. Later today, I stopped by a Publix, and they were putting some out as I was shopping, so it's starting to show up in stores. Rice is still hard to come by, and parts of the frozen food sections are still pretty depleted. On the bright side, I scored an 8 pound Boston butt, which I shared with my neighbor.

I still think people are buying more than they usually would.

I still think people are buying more than they usually would.

Sure they are, but they’re also making a bunch more meals at home. The volume of groceries needed to keep the typical family of four fed for 3 squares a day is much higher than when the school provides lunch 5 days a week, and mom/dad eat fast food at lunch a few times a week. Multiply that effect across a few hundred million people and the grocery stores have a hard time keeping up with demand. The shift away from commercial distribution for restaurants isn’t easy. Requires different quantities and different packaging which our own JamesDean has explained. Most of the shortage isn’t likely due to people hoarding, but I’m sure people still grab a little extra each trip because they’re worried it won’t be there next time.

I've seen wa-a-a-y too many people rolling out with multiple bulk packs to not call it hoarding. Just saying.

I've seen wa-a-a-y too many people rolling out with multiple bulk packs to not call it hoarding. Just saying.
I'm thinking that since stay-at-home orders cause people to eat more meals at home and that causes shortages at retail food stores, people are responding to those shortages by buying more than they usually would when they finally do find what they're looking for, which aggravates the shortages.

Our Damn cat did this 2 nights ago. Overall she is a good cat.

20200401_210853.jpg

Should have known it would happen, this one is from a year ago.

20190323_205046001.jpg

The wife and I went shopping at Walmart after the panic buying started. The frozen food section was empty. Except for the pre-formed hamburger patties with the Walmart Great Value on the bag. That section was still full.

0b35cafd-471e-4c8a-beb7-26ab18ead75c_3.881a76f2b9e268e840196c88abb81f80.jpeg

Even in the panic buy no one wants those things.... :lol::lol:

I’m using the same amount of TP as I usually do, I eat out just as much, rarely go to social gatherings and don’t wear masks unless it’s for work. So essentially this shelter in place is a reflection of my everyday life. :)

The wife and I went shopping at Walmart after the panic buying started. The frozen food section was empty. Except for the pre-formed hamburger patties with the Walmart Great Value on the bag. That section was still full.

0b35cafd-471e-4c8a-beb7-26ab18ead75c_3.881a76f2b9e268e840196c88abb81f80.jpeg

Even in the panic buy no one wants those things.... :lol::lol:

We get those for mass cookouts in summer. They’re mostly fat. Grill gets rid of most of it and they get significantly smaller. LOL.

We had a few still in the freezer so I ate one the other day for lunch. I’m not too proud to eat one. Haha.

A little salt and pepper to flavor the protein hockey puck with a tiny bit of shredded cheese on top and a Hawaiian slider bun which just happened to be what the store had when we went a while back.

But yeah. Tasteless protein slab. S’ok if you’re just staying home and avoiding being out. :)

We get those for mass cookouts in summer. They’re mostly fat. Grill gets rid of most of it and they get significantly smaller. LOL.

We had a few still in the freezer so I ate one the other day for lunch. I’m not too proud to eat one. Haha.

A little salt and pepper to flavor the protein hockey puck with a tiny bit of shredded cheese on top and a Hawaiian slider bun which just happened to be what the store had when we went a while back.

But yeah. Tasteless protein slab. S’ok if you’re just staying home and avoiding being out. :)
Has to be better than the "Camel" burgers that the Navy got us on deployments in the Mediterranean after the food from home ran out.

We get those for mass cookouts in summer. They’re mostly fat. Grill gets rid of most of it and they get significantly smaller. LOL....
Read the label. The way I learned math, 15% fat is not "mostly fat."

Back