KX155 Repair

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Can anyone recommend a shop that is a guru when it comes to fixing the KX155? I have a weird problem with mine, and want to send it to an expert for evaluation and repair.

Thanks!

I cant really speak from experience but I have heard good things about Ramona Avionics

For gurudom, probably Bevan-Rabell in Wichita.

For "first crack" at the problem in SoCal, too bad the guy at Cable packed up, he was decent with those. Your challenge will be finding someone to take time away from their ADS-B emergency work. I'd try Affordable at CNO or Vista at WHP or ask who they send out to.

When the plane and radio are really cold, it breaks squelch. Once the radio warms up after about a half-hour of flying the problem goes away.

I had one in the Tiger that the on-off knob was the problem breaking squelch. We chased a few items before finding it

Can anyone recommend a shop that is a guru when it comes to fixing the KX155? I have a weird problem with mine, and want to send it to an expert for evaluation and repair.

Jim Karpowitz is a fantastic component-level repair guy who got our KX-155 working like new and saved us thousands of dollars by bringing our KFC150 trim servo back from the dead.

You could call Skycom Avionics, where he works - Or, head over to BeechTalk, he's a frequent participant over there.

www.kx-155.com This is an old-school guy who specializes in the old King equipment. He fixed my radio for a flat fee and the communication with him was excellent.

if anybody has a dead 155, I'd like to buy it to do a postmortem and figure out how to fix these suckers for a dime on the dollar. They CANNOT be all that difficult. A radio is a radio.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Jim

if anybody has a dead 155, I'd like to buy it to do a postmortem and figure out how to fix these suckers for a dime on the dollar. They CANNOT be all that difficult. A radio is a radio.

Heck, I have one that's probably still working, removed during upgrade, with GS. PM me an offer.

The thing that is difficult on them is the displays, which have been out of production for a while - The part to replace them is $4K, not even close to worth it. Anything else, I'm sure you could fix quite handily.

The thing that is difficult on them is the displays, which have been out of production for a while - The part to replace them is $4K, not even close to worth it. Anything else, I'm sure you could fix quite handily.
I'll bet Jim could come up with a cheap fix. In a different thread I already told him how. :)

I'll bet Jim could come up with a cheap fix. In a different thread I already told him how. :)
I'll bet you are right, asicer. My hit is individual 7-segment LEDs that you could replace one at a time if they ever failed. If I ever get the time I'll bet I can do it for well under $200, but getting the time right now is a premium. But thanks a million for the help. You are correct, given the correct information, a competent 7th grader could do it.

Another problem is that I need a busted one and every contact I've had says the same thing ... "Yea, I've got one, give me a bid." I don't work that way. Tell me how much you want for it and if it fits into the budget I'll buy it.

Jim

"Yea, I've got one, give me a bid." I don't work that way. Tell me how much you want for it and if it fits into the budget I'll buy it.

I'd be willing to bet that the guy at www.kx-155.com has some carcasses that he would let go cheap. Maybe it's worth a call...

I just posted my KX155 14V with Glide Slope and with a NEW DISPLAY for sale in the classified section.

Another problem is that I need a busted one and every contact I've had says the same thing ... "Yea, I've got one, give me a bid." I don't work that way. Tell me how much you want for it and if it fits into the budget I'll buy it.

Didn't King use the same display tech on other devices in the silver crown line? I bet you could acquire KNS-80s and the like (96/97 COMs? 62/64 DMEs? 87 ADFs?) for pennies a pound. Not sure if that would suffice to test your repair theory or not, but maybe an alternate/cheap path to this experiment?

/not a seventh grade EE, no idea if the idea is a stupid one or not :D

Ed knows this radio well...my Kx-155 is enroute back to me as I type...very responsive and impressed with his service.

Jim

If you're still interested in the project, I'm going to the Mesa Starman Auction this weekend. Tell me a budget number and I can try to get you a KX155 to play with. $100 may grab one, but I usually see them go for multiple hundreds.

We are pulling our KX155 and it’s indicator due to getting a new panel upgrade. Also have a 170B + indicator coming out. Will be putting that stuff up for sale afterwards. The plane is in the shop for a bunch of upgrade now. Your welcome to pm me about

No they are not. States that in their site.
So if they are not an avionics shop, are they allowed to open the avionics and perform work on it? Do they put a log entry? Is that FAA approved? Sorry I don’t have more knowledge on this

Last edited:
is it FAA or FCC that regulates radio's. If the licensed FCC repairman uses the manufacturer's maintenance manual does he not sign it off as meeting the manufacturer's specs that are FAA approved?

He either has to operate under a repair certificate, or he’s an airframe mechanic with an “A” certificate number. It must be documented in the airframe logbook regardless. Most of those guys just print off a sticker with with the corrective action and certificate number. You just stick it in the book.

He either has to operate under a repair certificate, or he’s an airframe mechanic with an “A” certificate number. It must be documented in the airframe logbook regardless. Most of those guys just print off a sticker with with the corrective action and certificate number. You just stick it in the book.
But it doesn’t seem like this guy or website Is FAA related

If the guy works on aircraft radios he’s either a property rated mechanic, or he’s working under a repair certificate of some sort. Anything else is illegal for you to operate with unless maybe you have an experimental aircraft. The guy might be the best radio man on earth but if he’s not certified you’re not supposed to use them. Also, If work is done it’s required to be documented in the aircraft logbook prior to operating the aircraft. Obviously you have to hold appropriate credentials to sign off such a corrective action.
I’m not trying to tell anyone what to do, just trying to give you an accurate answer.

If the guy works on aircraft radios he’s either a property rated mechanic, or he’s working under a repair certificate of some sort. Anything else is illegal for you to operate with unless maybe you have an experimental aircraft. The guy might be the best radio man on earth but if he’s not certified you’re not supposed to use them. Also, If work is done it’s required to be documented in the aircraft logbook prior to operating the aircraft. Obviously you have to hold appropriate credentials to sign off such a corrective action.
I’m not trying to tell anyone what to do, just trying to give you an accurate answer.
Transmitter are the only avionics that a require rating.

Transmitter are the only avionics that a require rating.
Can a person without any rating take apart garmin GPS (and fix it?) or Gauges? So to work on a radio ( it transmites) then you need a rating? But doesn’t seem like the kx-155 have any rating.

When in doubt just call and ask them. Seems that would be easier than going through this thread. Haha They have their FCC certs soo...SmartSelect_20200403-073124_Chrome.jpg

Can a person without any rating take apart garmin GPS (and fix it?) or Gauges? So to work on a radio ( it transmites) then you need a rating? But doesn’t seem like the kx-155 have any rating.
Aren't many folks that don't have both certificates, but there are radios that are not transmitter.

An A&P can't sign-off any avionics repair.
An A&P/IA can't sign-off any avionics repair.
An A&P/IA with FCC GROL + Radar can't sign-off any avionics repair.
An A&P/IA with FCC GROL can't submit an 337 on an avionics repair.

Only an "approved facility" with the approved capability can.

Nothing is to stop anyone to repair any avionics but if you put it in your plane, best have a "shop" re-certify it, especially if it has a transmitter.
Although I did ask my FAA Inspector about the last part as nothing in FAR's says no: An A&P/IA with FCC GROL can't submit an 337 on an avionics repair. Of which, I was/had, IA expired, i.e.

I guess it's an "overlap" concern with the FAA/FCC & the equipment in use (calibrated?, competence, etc.).

Owner produced parts is another topic.

Last edited:
I certainly cannot argue about the legality of using a shop that is not a certified avionics repair facility. However I will reiterate my endorsement of Ed at KX-155.com, and I would certainly use his services again if needed, accepting whatever repercussions might result. In addition to the excellent communication and the outstanding performance of my radio after he worked on it, he provided me with two videos of his final testing and acceptance process. In these videos he recorded the various tests using his HP Signal Generator. While this may be of no value to many, it was much appreciated information to me; something I have never received from other avionics shops that I have dealt with. Finding someone with extensive experience with older avionics is challenging and I feel fortunate to have learned of Ed's services. Safety of my aircraft and systems is paramount to me and occasionally I need to step outside the box to achieve this.

KX155-Quality Test.jpg

Last edited:
I certainly cannot argue about the legality of using a shop that is not a certified avionics repair facility. However I will reiterate my endorsement of Ed at KX155.com, and I would certainly use his services again if needed, accepting whatever repercussions might result. In addition to the excellent communication and the outstanding performance of my radio after he worked on it, he provided me with two videos of his final testing and acceptance process. In these videos he recorded the various tests using his HP Signal Generator. While this may be of no value to many, it was much appreciated information to me; something I have never received from other avionics shops that I have dealt with. Finding someone with extensive experience with older avionics is challenging and I feel fortunate to have learned of Ed's services. Safety of my aircraft and systems is paramount to me and occasionally I need to step outside the box to achieve this.

View attachment 85628

Ditto what you say about Ed at KX-155.com (mind the hyphen). He made my radio look and work like brand new. Awesome communication and education to boot.

Last edited:
Back