What to do before starting flight school?

AndrewB

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FinalApproach
Hello everyone,
Some of you may have seen my thread about which aircraft to choose. But I have more questions, regarding what to do before training. An obvious answer would be to study, (Which I am doing) but I’d like to create a checklist for things to do before starting my training in May (hopefully)

1. Should I just go ahead and take the FAA written exam as long as I’m ready?

2. I’ve heard that some people get their student pilot certificate before training?? Not sure how that’s possible as I thought you couldn’t get one until you’re ready to solo but I was wondering if I could get more info on that, to clarify things.

3. I filled out the FAA’s 8500 form today, but now I’m wondering if it’s such a great idea to go visit a doctor to get my medical at such a time like this with the coronavirus?

4. Any other things I should do?

I’m also working on memorizing features, procedures, checklists and the GPS system of the Cessna 172 and Socata TB-9 on X-Plane.

Thanks,
Andrew

Second the medical. I just got mine three days before my state issued a stay at home order, but plenty of others are still getting their medical done now.

If you are good to go on the written, you certainly can take it before starting the flight portion. You will need an endorsement, though, as I am sure you know.

You will need an instructor to sign off the online form you fill out through IACRA to get a student pilot certificate, so that isn't something you can do by yourself. But it is something you can do before you ever even get in the plane - definitely don't have to wait until you are ready to solo!

Until May, I would just immerse myself in as much aviation stuff as I could. Keep studying even after the written test. And get a good comfy pair of non-polarized sunglasses! You will be wearing them a lot!

Don’t go get a medical first,

Go do a mock medical (search this form) before you go in with a med express number. The medical is about making sure you’re healthy, sure, but they have some VERY odd non recognized medicine hangups too

I did not do the whole mock medical thing. I knew I was healthy, with good vision and good hearing, didn't have any symptoms of health issues, and didn't have any medical history (medication, prior hospital stays or diagnosises). So I just went in and got my medical. It was quick, easy and painless. So it can be done.

However, it would be smart to do a mock medical if you can so as not to be surprised by anything.

Medical and money should cover it.

This would be a good time to arrange for direct deposit of your paycheck to the flight school's bank account. They can give you a small allowance for food. It's easier this way.

1. Should I just go ahead and take the FAA written exam as long as I’m ready?
I believe many (if not all) of the testing centers are currently closed. So this may not be an option.
Plus I think you'll get more out of the studying for the test if you do it in parallel with your flight training, because you can relate to the material better.

Here's something to look at while you are stuck at home, and it's free: the FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook, FAA-H-8083-3B:
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...e_handbook/media/airplane_flying_handbook.pdf

- Martin

If you're not up for the complete mock medical, at least go to your PCP and get a complete physical, asking specifically about the things will be covered in the AMA physical.

Back