Cessna 172 VS Socata TB10 + Other questions

AndrewB

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FinalApproach
Hello everyone!
My name is Andrew, I’m 16, and I’ve been waiting and saving up for flight school for about 1 1/2 years now. I was going to start this month, but the coronavirus has stopped any hope of starting flight school for now.

Anyway, I have some questions about different options I have at different flight schools in my area.

First question:
141 or 61 training? I know this is a question that can be looked at differently by everyone, and can be specific to your situation. So I’ll explain why and what I plan to do, perhaps making it easier for some of you to say which one would be best for me?

I currently want to fly for fun, and get my PPL and instrument rating before graduating high school. But I’m very much considering going professional sometime in the future. My schedule and budget allows for only 2 lessons per week.

Second question:

What would be the most recommended aircraft to train in?

The Cessna 172 or the Socata TB-9 (TB-10)?

Both are around the same price, and have similar flight characteristics. Anyone have experience in both? Which one handles better, which one would be best to learn to fly in? And disadvantages to either aircraft?

Lastly, what kind of airport would be best to train at:

A towered airport with multiple runways

A nontowered airport with one runway and a taxiway

A nontowered airport with one runway and NO taxiway (So you have to back taxi up the runway)

Thank you all for your time, and stay healthy!

Thanks,
Andrew

No comments on the plane.

Back taxi is a PITA and will slow you down as in run up rental costs taxiing.

Ideally go solo at a uncontrolled airport that isn't that busy then finish up all the rest at an airport with a tower to get good at the radios, arrival, complex taxi instructions.

Lots of pilots that do all their training (except the minimum required controlled airport req's) are often quite intimated by controlled airports.

I vote Part 61, more flexible.

I did part 61 at a local FBO. Definitely more flexible and you’re not mixed in with a bunch of airline training types (who just want to get their hours and get out). I haven’t experienced 141, but I think you get more variety of experience in 61.

Regarding the plane, how many 172s does the school have and how many TB-10s? You might find the availability of 172s (both there and elsewhere) to be better.

That being said, after you get your PPL, you should also get checked out in some other aircraft types. At first, it can be a bit intimidating to switch planes, but once you get used to it, flying new types becomes easier.

I’d also recommend getting experience in a “complex” aircraft at some point.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!! I really appreciate it! I’ll let you all know what I end up doing when I start flight school.
Hoping to start in May unless the coronavirus delays it further.

Thanks,
Andrew

Part 61, at your leisure.

Towered, as long as you’re not waiting behind a long line of departures every time you want to go up.

I'll comment on the planes. I started my flight training, like most people in a 172. While still a student I purchased a TB20, I really "thought" I wanted to get a TB10, but they were hard to find and you got a lot more for your $'s in the TB20. Anyway, I found the TB20 to be easier to land than the 172, didn't tend to float like the 172 did. Handling wise you'll find the TB's to be "heavier" on the controls, they're push rod instead of cables, so they feel heavier, but are very responsive. I've never flown a TB10, so I can't say what the performance is like, but I'd guess that they'd be very good trainers and an excellent instrument platform. One other thing I found is ground handling is MUCH better in my TB, especially in the wind!

Good luck! Whichever you train in enjoy your time, either will get your goals.

You seem to be very self motivated, part 61 could work well for you, fly the cheaper airplane.

TB20................Thank you "trailing link gear."
socata4.jpg

Whatever is closest to you, has a CFI available on your schedule, and costs less. If you are self-motivated, disciplined and have good study habits, Part 61 will most likely cost a lot less. Don’t worry about what planes they use. As long as they’re airworthy, go for the lowest price. Paint and upholstery don’t make the plane fly any differently. All a student pilot needs are a single com, single nav radio and CDI. A handheld GPS or tablet are of arguable benefit to a pre-private student.

Keep it simple, close to home and spend as much time as you can on training. Unless your parents are footing the bill, get a job now and start saving as much as possible. Either get enough saved or ensure sufficient income so you can get at least two lessons every week.

Whatever you do, school comes first.

I wouldn't fly anything in and out if towered airports without either a second radio or a monitor function.

Also, I totally disagree with those who say don't use a GPS. Use one. Get to know how to use one. That way, you don't end up having an even steeper learning curve later.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!! I really appreciate it! I’ll let you all know what I end up doing when I start flight school.
Hoping to start in May unless the coronavirus delays it further.

Thanks,
Andrew
With all the free time, are you studying for the written?

With all the free time, are you studying for the written?
Yes I am. I’m taking the Sporty’s Learn to fly course, and have taken some practice tests... I’m currently in high school so I’m not completely free, but I am still studying.

Thanks,
Andrew

Second question:

Thanks,
Andrew

I flew both during my own training.

I'm a proponent of cross-training under part 61. During your training transferring learnings from one type of plane to another separates the "flying by habit" to fly by knowledge. The 172 is amazing for first flights, then transitioning to TB-10 after 20 hours for x-country and final training will self-demonstrate actual gaps in learning. It's takes a few more hours of training, but commonly makes students better trained pilots. The Socata is a far superior plane for ergonomics over the Cessna being a much newer design.

Switching from high wing to low wing, even for just a few hours, is constructive to break patterned behavior over transferable skill.

Just my opinion from what instructors told me as a student and found true with own experience.

Good luck!

First question:
141 or 61 training? I know this is a question that can be looked at differently by everyone, and can be specific to your situation. So I’ll explain why and what I plan to do, perhaps making it easier for some of you to say which one would be best for me?

I currently want to fly for fun, and get my PPL and instrument rating before graduating high school. But I’m very much considering going professional sometime in the future. My schedule and budget allows for only 2 lessons per week.

Best answer:

Whichever one you find the best instructor at. Your primary training will be the basis for a lifetime of safety.

Secondary answer:

Part 141 really comes into heavy play if you need to finance flying with a college degree program. It also *can* be helpful to understand structured training to a syllabus but a good 61 instructor should be doing that also. It’s forced in 141. Either done wrong can be disorganized, and either done well can be fun and rewarding.

Pick by instructor, price, and perceived quality but many people even switch if they’re not linked to a loan or funding source that ties them to one location. Interview a few. Ask how things work.

That said. Try NOT to pre-pay in this industry. It’s a good way to lose money. You can dig around the Internet for plenty of horror stories.

Second question:

Both are around the same price, and have similar flight characteristics. Anyone have experience in both? Which one handles better, which one would be best to learn to fly in? And disadvantages to either aircraft?

In the long term you’ll see more Cessnas in life and if you teach eventually it’ll be in a Cessna or a Piper most of the time. But also long term they’re all light aircraft and you can learn in anything.

If something is available and fits the budget or has a nice deal, fly it.

But remember aviation is also full of maintenance and maintenance delays. If the rarer airplane goes down for extended maintenance or gets sold, you won’t find it as easy to hop to another and continue without skipping a beat. Being in the popular crowd has some benefit.

My leaning is toward the Cessna. But if you have access to an old salt who’ll really teach well who has a nicely maintained *whatever*... we’ll just know the limitations of a rare type going in.

Lastly, what kind of airport would be best to train at:

A towered airport with multiple runways

A nontowered airport with one runway and a taxiway

A nontowered airport with one runway and NO taxiway (So you have to back taxi up the runway)

Both will be required. One will waste some time with traffic, the other will waste some time taxiing. :)

Depending on the type of operations and style of the instructor, you’ll likely be doing full stop taxi backs for some of your training and some touch and goes.

All depends on skill set, time needed for explanations, and what you’re working on.

If they need the peace and quiet of a small uncontrolled airport or a busy traffic pattern for today’s lesson, they’ll just have you fly to the other one.

You’re in an airplane, remember? Flying across town is quick. :)

One will make you good at some things, the other will make you good at other things. When you want to be a bit concerned is if you haven’t flown much at either type. :)

Hello everyone!
My name is Andrew, I’m 16, and I’ve been waiting and saving up for flight school for about 1 1/2 years now. I was going to start this month, but the coronavirus has stopped any hope of starting flight school for now.

Andrew, get in there now.

I found this while searching for Socata TB20... hoping to encourage you to get into the left seat - I started my PPL training on 8/28/2020, got Covid 12/17/2020 and was out of the cockpit for weeks. Still, I passed my written in 2/9/2021 and checkride on 4/13/21. As of 11/19/21 I'm at 117 hours with 28 x-cty hours and 280 landings. Why? - because I love flying and was motivated to get it done!

Back