Sun’n Fun 2020 Officially Cancelled

Sadly, not exactly a surprise.

Guess it means I'll save some days off from work though (I spend the whole week there).

Makes me sad - but knowing full well they did what they had to do.
See you all in Lakeland a year from now!

- Martin

Very sad but safest approach. I suspect turn-out would be low. Yearly event for me for >10 yrs.
So called “social distancing” mostly manages the rate at which citizens will be exposed. Eventually a majority of the population will be exposed. Differing outcomes from the disease are far from predictable/explained. Nasty little virus. China has “a lot of splaining” to do. Strange times indeed.

yep, sad. I was especially looking forward to it as I finally started my rusty pilot comeback...but I appreciate that they are choosing a responsible path.

For many years I had a habit of buying a hat pin. My collection faltered though after a few years of not making it till the tail end of the show when they were sold out....so then I stopped bothering in several following years
Anyway, I'm betting they had already ordered all the t-shirts and junk like that for this year. Maybe I'll check in to see if they have an online store and help them out.

Sucks. I hope the same doesn't happen to Oshkosh.
I expect it will. Even if shelter orders are lifted by then, its doubtful they'll have enough turnout to make it profitable. There's going to be a large number of folks that aren't going to do any kind of public events until a vaccine exists.

There's going to be a large number of folks that aren't going to do any kind of public events until a vaccine exists.

And the truly effective vaccine is not a given. Since COVID is closely related to colds and the seasonal flu, it may mutate so rapidly (as the flu does, for example) that the vaccine won't be very effective for this season's version. Let's see, the vaccine not as effective, and yet the COVID is more deadly... Not a good scenario....

-Skip

well, I do think that overall there will be a large shift in our collective way.... it won't be total, but I suspect that old traditions like handshaking will diminish. Hand washing practices will get a little bit better overall.... I think there will be slight social shifts that change the dynamic a bit.

I think about what the exact data needs to be and then how gradually or quickly resumption of activity will be green lighted. Does the number of new cases and deaths gotta be zero? Or 1000 & 50? Or some other number greater than zero?

If zero is the goal, long way to go. OSH no-go.

If some number greater than zero, which officials will make the call and how much activity can resume? And since there is no vaccine, how much rebound will there be?

I think OSH is still a long shot at whatever number of new cases and new deaths is deemed acceptable, because of the lack of vaccine and potential for rebound. Plus, I can’t see a scenario where we quickly ramp up activity and go back near normal in a month or two. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

My gut read....IF they got serious with these stay at home orders and defined "necessary" as the things truly necessary for something like 1 month....like seriously, nobody leaves home unless they are enroute to the hospital....then in, it seems to me, 14 days+ 14 more or so they have a pretty strong handle on the vectors. As it is, life is going on pretty much business as usual. They've addressed the huge issues such as concerts, sporting events, an such.... and a lot of folks are being responsible having their employees work form home....but overall it look like way too much business as usual...or at least close to usual. It's shaping up to be a long drawn out thing I think.

My gut read....IF they got serious with these stay at home orders and defined "necessary" as the things truly necessary for something like 1 month....like seriously, nobody leaves home unless they are enroute to the hospital....
So everyone needs 1 month of food on hand? And then what happens when your brat kids are fighting and whip a chair through the front window? Do you just have an open window for a month? What happens when the only toilet in the house breaks? No toilet for the rest of the month?

My boss woke up to broken furnace and a cold house earlier this week. So no heat for him the rest of the month then?

an exaggeration....or simplification

My point is that we still have people going to work, doing things they could be doing by computer at home. We have factories running which fill no immediate short term need or service...we can go to walmart to buy pretty much anything we want on a whim....we have block parties happening....even if they are relatively small groups, there's still potential that one of them picked up something in the drive through a couple days ago and they are spreading it. We have people checking multiple stores because they couldn't find the particular cut of meat they want for their recipe at the first 2 stores. The truly unnecessary just goes on and on....all falling into the definition of "necessary"

I get what you're saying. And no question there are companies still operating that really shouldn't be. But locking up everyone except hospitals for a month is not possible. Hospitals need to be resupplied. Those supplies need to come from somewhere. Those supplies need to get there on a truck. Those trucks need to be maintained. Those maintenance shops need truck parts and those parts need to come from somewhere. That adds up to be a ton of infrastructure just to keep the hospitals open. We haven't even touched on keeping supermarkets open nor the home centers.

So in order to do what we're trying to do you have to have a whole bunch of infrastructure still operating. And with that much infrastructure still going, having stragglers that also stay open is just inevitable. You either roll out the military and set up checkpoints every couple miles and be willing to imprison violators or you get what we have now.

I'm not going to speculate which way is better but I don't really see a viable solution other than those two.

This would have been the week... :(
Instead, all I have is memories from last year.
Crossing my fingers for 2021!

Excellent video... thank you.
I went last year... landed at an alternate due to the WX, and, within 10 minutes of entering the gate, my wife phoned with the news that my oldest has heart issues and to get home ASAP... so, took off at 5:30 AM next day and made it home (CT) in 7 hours... so, I was really looking forward to a make up trip this year... oh well. But my son is "ok"... better safe than sorry...

OMG -- Oshkosh 2020 is canceled again? Damn.

Let's get some retro youtube hero threads going. That's what we need. And we'll put them in the Sun'n'Fun cancellation thread to make it even better!

Gotta run and go clickin'

OMG -- Oshkosh 2020 is canceled again? Damn.

Let's get some retro youtube hero threads going. That's what we need. And we'll put them in the Sun'n'Fun cancellation thread to make it even better!

Gotta run and go clickin'

You seem nice

This would have been the week... :(
Instead, all I have is memories from last year.
Crossing my fingers for 2021!

I thought... Martin is a mature, reserved guy who gets excited about Dutch pastries.... I'll watch this with the family to get them excited about all the stuff to see up there. They were pretty excited about the night airshow..... then we went into beer bongs and bikinis lol. Didn't see that coming.

I thought... Martin is a mature, reserved guy who gets excited about Dutch pastries.... I'll watch this with the family to get them excited about all the stuff to see up there. They were pretty excited about the night airshow..... then we went into beer bongs and bikinis lol. Didn't see that coming.
Martin is a guy with many interests... have you seen my RAGBRAI vs. OSHKOSH video?
At any rate, I hope I didn't get you into trouble.

- Martin

Back