LSA sport pilot/private/seaplane privileges confusion

rookie1255

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rookie1255
If I'm a private pilot, I can fly an LSA, and I can do so without a medical. If I want to fly a seaplane though, I need to take a checkride to add a seaplane rating.

Sport pilots can fly LSA seaplanes with just an endorsement by an instructor, no real checkride.

Can I as a private pilot, get an endorsement and be able to fly LSA seaplanes without a checkride? Or does this just apply to folks with ONLY a sport license?

Last edited:
You can get an endorsement to exercise Sport Pilot privileges, but you’d need a rating if you wanted to exercise Private Pilot privileges.

You can fly a LSA seaplane with training and an endorsement by a sport/seaplane CFI.

I suppose if you have a seaplane rating, you can go straight to a LSA seaplane without training or endorsement.

You can fly a LSA seaplane with training and an endorsement by a sport/seaplane CFI.
Just to clarify...you can get the LSA seaplane endorsement from a CFI-Sport Pilot who has seaplane privileges, or from any CFI-Airplane Single Engine who has either a single engine seaplane rating or a seaplane endorsement at the LSA level.
I suppose if you have a seaplane rating, you can go straight to a LSA seaplane without training or endorsement.
True.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind seaplane flying isn’t something to be taken lightly, don’t view it as a rating and go type thing

Yup, I agree. You just said it more clearly.

Back