Pa28 spar as a renter?

Funny you mention that, there was someone giving position reports at the top and bottom of their spiral dives.. "white and blue Cessna, 3 miles offshore the race track, practicing spiral dives" .. I can't say I'd ever heard that before!

Over 20 years ago in a PA28.

663ACDDA-D232-4119-86B5-5CC50AD4544A.jpeg

fd0ce0022c0794b0c6a4df523bdb6950.jpg

That’s just 2 days ago.... wings are still there attached where it’s supposed to be

We got a PA-28R-180 in for an annual inspection, a few days ago. I was picked to inspect the engine and firewall forward, a couple other guys were on the airframe. When I got to the motor mount, it was broken in two just below the upper right mount and then checked the other side and it was broken in two below the upper left mount, so I could pick up on the engine and see the mount separate. The left brake had rust visible inside the tube. When we got the engine off, the cross tube under the accessory case was cracked 3/4 way around. The spar attach areas looked good, but this plane was real, real close to having the engine depart its mount. It had been inspected by the same mechanic for the past 4 or 5 years. That was a close call.

We got a PA-28R-180 in for an annual inspection, a few days ago. I was picked to inspect the engine and firewall forward, a couple other guys were on the airframe. When I got to the motor mount, it was broken in two just below the upper right mount and then checked the other side and it was broken in two below the upper left mount, so I could pick up on the engine and see the mount separate. The left brake had rust visible inside the tube. When we got the engine off, the cross tube under the accessory case was cracked 3/4 way around. The spar attach areas looked good, but this plane was real, real close to having the engine depart its mount. It had been inspected by the same mechanic for the past 4 or 5 years. That was a close call.

You got that right. And that's everywhere in this blasted hobby. Pencil-whipping abounds. My squadron mate was flying around his M20F with two broken mounts for 2 years, until a fresh set of eyes caught it on the last annual, and only because he moved it to sell it because he wasn't flying enough and now that he's a big bad airline pilot the non-rev is what gets the girlfriend moist. Oops. Better lucky than good I guess.

Off to MN the engine mount went. I think that thing has been sitting for 18 months now. Real cherry alright. To your point, that doesn't happen the day after the last annual got signed. People see what they want to see. Then he tries to sell it to me with a Lyco camshaft sitting for that long and admits to me to only being ground run for the time it's been on cinder blocks waiting on the engine mount. I gave him the llama look
giphy.gif

He knows better than to sell this guy that snake oil while I'm on airplane #3. I tell ya, to quote Rodney "I don't get no Respect!"
:D

Back