KSBP hangar destroyed by jet blast

clarkmueller

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Clark
I ran across this crazy video on Reddit which purports to show a regional jet doing a full power runup that flipped a derelict Cessna and deconstructed what looks like a small T-hangar. Does anyone have more information on where this was and what happened? I can't tell by looking at the map exactly where it was. It doesn't look like the runway 29 runup area. Maybe ACI Jet Mx ramp with the tail facing SE?

On further investigation, looks like the runway 11 runup area, with the video shot from the adjacent parking lot. What a terrible spot for a full power jet runup!

So does Skywest pay the bill for the damages or?

And I thought it was bad when a clod in a Cessna blasted my hangar...

Hangar really came from together there.

We used to have a moron who came out from time to time and did full power, extended runups in his tiedown spot. I suggested that what he was doing was not good for the engine and that notwithstanding that, he was blowing crap into everybody parked behind him.

We used to have a moron who came out from time to time and did full power, extended runups in his tiedown spot. I suggested that what he was doing was not good for the engine and that notwithstanding that, he was blowing crap into everybody parked behind him.

Sounds like SOP for UND.

Last spring a guy flying a Cherokee 6 for some 135 outfit did his runup right in the middle of the crowded Signature ramp in BED. We were parked right next to him and I gave him the universal WTF arm motion and he had no clue.

SmartSelectImage_2020-03-30-20-58-12.png

Universal wtf arm motion

Did he say thank You?

Flew in after hours at spa one night to jet facing directly away from the main entrance.
Surprised no broke glass next day.
Was impressed with the handling skills, by the way he or she was situated. The wing had to clear the fence.. or is reverse an option they give when purchasing?? Hah

I saw some photos online of the structure of the hangar. All of the lower frame was rusted out, so there wasn't much holding it down anymore.

Yeah poor Skywest mechanic probably had a heck of a conversation with the airport ops people and his manager when he parked...

Many years past, there was a Citation I in the transient parking area at MYF that did a similar engine run-up. He blew the two airplanes in the tiedowns behind it sideways and the only reason they didn't flip was because they were properly tied down. Then they taxied off toward the runway. I don't even know why you would do an engine run-up on a Citation in the first place except for MX troubleshooting as probably those who were running the jet up at SBP were.

Last edited:
Sometimes it doesn't work out for the guy doing the run up:
F-WWCJ.jpg

Helps if you follow the checklist and push all the circuit breakers in BEFORE you do a full power run-up (on all four engines simultaneously).
Eh, It helps when you are doing a full power runup to chock the wheels and apply ALL the brakes. The circuit breaker story is a MYTH.

And when the aircraft starts moving, it behooves you to RETARD the throttles (even if the airplane doesn't call you a RETARD).

Eh, It helps when you are doing a full power runup to chock the wheels and apply ALL the brakes. The circuit breaker story is a MYTH.

And when the aircraft starts moving, it behooves you to RETARD the throttles (even if the airplane doesn't call you a RETARD).

Well it has been a few years so I probably mixed the situation up with another incident. It probably came about just like the urban legend of the snap-rolled Hawker. Yes, it would be wise to keep one's hands on the thrust levers when performing a run-up and setting the parking brake too. However, I have seen a jet jump chocks, more than once. Still cannot figure out why they would run all four engines up at the same time unless that too is another myth.

Last edited:
There was a fake story associated with the pictures of the Toulousse indicdent which claims that some fly by wire was activated by the late closure of a circuit breaker. It's absolute fiction.

Back