Wanted: Aircraft Bonanza F33A

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Looking for mid 1980s to mid 1990s Bonanza F33A with total time 2000 hrs or less. Garmin Avionics package preferred. Any leads outside of controller or trade-a-plane or generally well known online locations?
Thanks!
Greg

We're replacing a 1987 F33A and want to stay on the same platform (or maybe similar ... considering (or at least "thinking about" tm credit to @Ted DuPuis) maybe an A36 ... will be a club plane.

Our club operational plans are to buy the lowest airframe time airplane with maybe a mid-time engine, fly to TBO or beyond, re-engine, fly to mid-time and evaluate to keep, upgrade or replace ...

Looking for mid 1980s to mid 1990s Bonanza F33A with total time 2000 hrs or less. Garmin Avionics package preferred. Any leads outside of controller or trade-a-plane or generally well known online locations?
Thanks!
Greg
I have a friend with a 1989. 2856TTAF, 1059SFRM, 556SPOH. Great paint and interior and really tight and well rigged airplane. Factory Air Conditioning, AM/FM Radio with Cassette Player, Davtron M800 Chronometer Installed in Pilot Yoke, GAMI Fuel Injectors, Large Baggage Door, Standby Gyros, Electric Trim, Dual Push to Talk Yoke Buttons, Garmin 375, King KFC 200 2 Axis Autopilot System, KA 285 Auto Pilot Mode Annunciator Panel, KG 258 Attitude Indicator, KCS 55-A Horizontal Situation Indicator, KDI 574 DME Indicator, KC 292, Autopilot Mode Controller, Garmin GPS Map 696 GPS, 3M WX 1000 Stormscope, KMA 24 Audio Panel (w/ Marker Lights), KX 155 Nav/Comm/Glide Slope, KR 87 ADF

Last edited:
"Cassette Player" o_Oo_O

I have a friend with a 1989. 2856TTAF, 1059SFRM, 556SPOH. Great paint and interior and really tight and well rigged airplane. Factory Air Conditioning, AM/FM Radio with Cassette Player, Davtron M800 Chronometer Installed in Pilot Yoke, GAMI Fuel Injectors, Large Baggage Door, Standby Gyros, Electric Trim, Dual Push to Talk Yoke Buttons, Garmin 375, King KFC 200 2 Axis Autopilot System, KA 285 Auto Pilot Mode Annunciator Panel, KG 258 Attitude Indicator, KCS 55-A Horizontal Situation Indicator, KDI 574 DME Indicator, KC 292, Autopilot Mode Controller, Garmin GPS Map 696 GPS, 3M WX 1000 Stormscope, KMA 24 Audio, Panel (w/ Marker Lights), KX 155 Nav/Comm/Glide Slope, KR 87 ADF

300 HP V35A normal cruise speeds....lol ;)

Attachments

• 098C8616-7121-419E-851A-7893FC7AC51B.jpg
    098C8616-7121-419E-851A-7893FC7AC51B.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 58
starting to lean towards newer A-36 as well. Having an informative banter among the club airplane purchase committee about pros and cons of A36 vs F33A. Chime in if you want to!

One opinion from someone who has run a pair of 33s and one 36 in a club setting.

"newer" A36s got really heavy, and although there are STCs to juice the max gross (up to 4024? these days), the handling suffers at the high weights, especially at high DA. I'd note the empty weights of the considered airplanes when comparison shopping -- since the gross weights are all over the map.

The sweetest A36 will be a late 60s/early 70s model that has been refurbished to your specs, IMO, and has an empty weight as close to 2,000# as you can get it. They're out there. They fly pretty well.... for a 36 :D

I think all 36s handle far worse than the 33 series, but the club needs will dictate whether they love the barn doors enough to take on the two extra seats of insurance and the nose-heavier flying.

Assuming this is going to BJC, are your club members disciplined enough to handle a turbo? I'd probably put a premium (along with the rest of the market) for one of the TN birds of either airframe -- as long as your pilots can keep the cylinders on the thing. :eek: If they're cut from the "average ham-fisted club member" cloth, then a light NA bird would be the better ticket and probably economically in reach of more members. I'd skip the factory turbo in a club setting.

$0.02

Thanks for the input.

We’re replacing a 1987 F33A, which our club’s 3rd (at least) F33. The replacement will join a 1996 Saratoga II HP and a 1983 Dakota.

Our club buys the lowest time airframe we can afford and flys to engine change and then roughly 50% TBO in that. Then we consider upgrading the airframe again. That choice is driven by what’s for sale out there.

The Dakota didn’t have a viable replacement when that point arrived so we re-engined, repainted and will keep it for the foreseeable future.

We had a turbo something in the past (before my time) and they killed it so club standard is no turbos. I would love to believe members could be trained to love a turbo but not gonna happen.

Yeah, we’re at BJC.

Last edited:
Our replacement F33A landed at BJC Thursday afternoon. N184BH is a 1989 F33A with 1000 fewer airframe hours than N13EJ, our 1987 F33A, and comes with a new factory reman IO-520 engine and avionics package beyond our normal upgrade specs. We have a few mods/changes we need and/or want to make before we release it to the club. Hopefully I can get out there and get a few photos next week.

The charred remains of his beechtalk ad can still be found. The listing price AND seller's rapid departure with tail twixt legs was a source of merriment for many. :D

Got a link? And what happened to his other posts in this thread?

Never mind, found it. Why did he delete everything?

Got a link? And what happened to his other posts in this thread?

Never mind, found it. Why did he delete everything?

Been looking at Beechtalk for awhile now trying to find it. Got a link?

Edit: never mind, found in the archives. 1960 M35. Beechtalk is usually less entertaining when I visit...

Last edited:
The avionics is significantly different enough from our club standard that our instructors have put together a ground school (online meeting now) for the members. I did manage to sit through one of those but have yet to get to the airport to actually see our new plane, to say nothing of getting to actually fly ... anything! This work from home for everyone has turned my normal 12/5 and weekend on call into nearly 24/7/365 support as those who don't normally work from home try to get their job done. Cannot WAIT for them to all go back to the office again!

Anyway, screen shots from our training course on our avionics. We've got 2 GTN750 and a G500, with engine instruments non-standard from our previous Bo's.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 7.09.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 7.10.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 7.14.32 PM.png

Garmin has the GTN Trainer for iOS (iPad) but not the G500 sim... only on Winders. So, firing up Virtual Box with Windoze 10 and trying to run the integrated GTN/G500 sims is taxing my macBook but it's sort of useable. Mouse movements are laggy and clicks may or may not happen. But, it's enough to see what it does and how they work together.

Back