Should I Forge My Instructor's Signature?

skyskimmin76

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
skyskimmin76
A little background now that I have your attention. I got my PPL about 20 years ago, have accumulated a few thousand hours since then in both planes and helicopters. I've had some extra free time in this economic downturn so I decided to start taking pics of all my endorsements just so they are backed up on a drive. Well...come to find out my instructor never actually signed one of my solo endorsements. I'm not sure how this is passed through 7 or 8 examiners and years of me going through my logbook, but somehow I just noticed it. Unfortunately my instructor was fairly old when I trained with him, so getting the signature from him is most likely an impossibility now (RIP). Should I just pen it in...it's pretty easy...

A little background now that I have your attention. I got my PPL about 20 years ago, have accumulated a few thousand hours since then in both planes and helicopters. I've had some extra free time in this economic downturn so I decided to start taking pics of all my endorsements just so they are backed up on a drive. Well...come to find out my instructor never actually signed one of my solo endorsements. I'm not sure how this is passed through 7 or 8 examiners and years of me going through my logbook, but somehow I just noticed it. Unfortunately my instructor was fairly old when I trained with him, so getting the signature from him is most likely an impossibility now (RIP). Should I just pen it in...it's pretty easy...

No. It's a moot point and you've already been issued a certificate. If the FAA is going to go after anyone, it will be your (now decreased) instructor.

It's purely an OCD thing of it being complete

If it's helps at all, evidence of a missing endorsement results in issues for the examiner and instructor, both of which are long since passed the point of any action for them, and no action against you.

Falsification of documents can result in REVOCATION of your pilot certificate.

Any questions?

If the examiners let it go I wouldn’t worry about it.

What’s the difference of having a bogus signature vs none at all? You wouldn’t be accomplishing anything.

A bogus signature is forgery, none at all is an omission by your instructor, not you. If OCD is bugging you to fill it out, how will your OCD feel about having a permanent forgery in your logs that you will never be able to erase?

Both of my attorneys - Avenatti and Goodman - say it's OK to forge it.

A bogus signature is forgery, none at all is an omission by your instructor, not you. If OCD is bugging you to fill it out, how will your OCD feel about having a permanent forgery in your logs that you will never be able to erase?
You proved my point.

I don't see a point in making a digital backup if it's not going to be an accurate backup.

Um. No.

Why is this even a question?

As said, nobody (else) cares or will even notice at this point.
That said, if I recall, the paper student solo certificate back then had a place for instructor sign-offs, maybe your CFI signed that but forgot to do the logbook?

“20 years ago, have accumulated thousands of hours” and you’re worried about a solo endorsement? First post on POA...are you trolling?

Bring the logs to the RRFI, Bryan can sign it (and anything else you might need) then.

You have any idea of how many pilots could even produce their solo endorsements from back when they were a student pilot?

I mean there is no requirement for you to even keep records of such things at this point.

Everyone beat me to it, with better reasons than I could come up with, but the short, sweet answer is not only "No, but Hell, NO!"

I would put a really close approximation of Elvis Presley's signature on the endorsement, never tell anyone and go to your grave with a smile on your face...

Notice I mentioned "never tell anyone?"

Back