Cloud Questions

2nd505th

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
2nd505th
Hi - Instrument newbie here again. I have a question on how you determine the type of clouds you will encounter. Personally I do not want to go into cumulus. Stratiform would seem to be ok. So if I look at conus and I expect to encounter sct015, ovc020 and top220 would I assume there are cumulus starting at 2000 up to 22000 because of the height, but even if tops are 060 that could still be cumulus rising? What if I saw ovc020 and lyrd180? Layered with what kinds of clouds? What is my cue that no cumulus exist?

I admit not having studied enough, but could not find a quick answer on this one or completely missing something I should know or is right in front of me.

Cloud type is not as much of a threat as convection and icing.

The stability of the air determines the cloud type, which you can infer from skew-T charts. In practice, if you have significant cumulus clouds, then it will also show up in the convective or icing forecasts as well.

I would say if the temps at your desired flight Levels are below freezing the clouds are likely Strattiform. Either way, stay out of them if at all possible if the temps look like that.
Interested in other answers as well.

Cloud type bothers me less than tops, icing potential, precip intensity, and/or threat for convective development. I've flown many an IFR flight in cumulus with tops at 7000-9000 and little to no precip, which is pretty benign with little convective development. And I've been in stratus with fairly heavy rain. Clouds with tops at 22,000 would get my close attention and a healthy dose of wariness regardless of type.

I think figuring out cloud types is more about the system that you are in or near to figure out or predict your cloud types. Big high pressure dominating the area in the summer or a front cold front is about to pass off a big low. Understanding and learning more about those patterns plus now that you are working on it-pay attention to frontal patterns as the develop and pass. You can start to learn more of what to expect.

I'm another one who is looking at freezing level and convection before anything. I also want to know whether the clouds are wet or not. Showery precipitation, even fairly strong rain, often is fairly smooth to fly through (but you better have a good AP or be rock solid with your IMC skills, because it can be very disorienting), if it is not convective. Also, if you are going through dry clouds, ice isn't going to form on the airframe even in the icing zone - that is the reason they changed the definition of known ice.

Can you explain that last sentence? What are dry clouds? Aren't all clouds visible moisture?

What's the definition of known icing now? I'm not aware it changed.

Not all clouds produce ice that sticks to airplanes. Many are just made up of ice crystals.

Not all clouds produce ice that sticks to airplanes. Many are just made up of ice crystals.
True, but ice crystal are really only an issue in the Flight levels and upper troposphere, not generally were we fly our pedestrian GA planes. What we worry about is clearing, that accumulates quickly from SLD precipitation. I've encountered some light rime a couple of times and both instances I was climbing or descending through the freezing level during a temp inversion. Both resolved quickly in the warmer air above and neither involved precip.

True, but ice crystal are really only an issue in the Flight levels and upper troposphere, not generally were we fly our pedestrian GA planes. What we worry about is clearing, that accumulates quickly from SLD precipitation. I've encountered some light rime a couple of times and both instances I was climbing or descending through the freezing level during a temp inversion. Both resolved quickly in the warmer air above and neither involved precip.

Not really. There are plenty of times where clouds at higher temperatures at or just below freezing are not wet and will not cause any accumulation - rime or clear. That is why the definition of flight into known icing was changed to not strictly be flight into visible moisture at or below 0.

I'm still confused by what you mean by a dry cloud? So you mean what that's not actively precipitating? Or just one that's not producing ice?

What do you mean by a wet cloud? What do you mean by a dry cloud? How can you tell the difference?

I wouldn’t avoid cumulus entirely unless I had a newbie in the plane or airsickness was a factor. A bumpy ride is a possibility. It’s often worst right below. First rule is, slow down.

Now, towering cumulus with a heavy rain shower underneath, might get a second look. Lightning is a hell no.

Stratiform clouds can still make rime ice or hide thunderstorms. There is more to the decision than just cloud type. I’ll fly marine layer without hesitation as long as the freezing level is above the tops. But I’ve been surprised before with 20 knot gusty winds in low stratiform clouds (that’s not marine layer).

Back