Any Pilot Furloughs??

lsaway

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
lsaway
Have any of the Airlines started furloughing pilots yet?

Yes. Mostly regionals for those in training (Mesa), and Commutair which was the first one on the part 121 pax side to furlough. The other two were technically liquidations, so not furloughs but actual permanent layoffs (TSA and Compass). No pilot shortage bruh. As to the rest, just read my signature line, I'm done doing people's homework on this topic.

Recommend the pro pilot board if you want more granularity on the effect of the bailout package and furlough talks between now and 30 September 2020.

Commutair compass tsa Mesa Skywest contour have all sent pilots to the unemployment line either furloughed closed or sent anyone in training home. Everyone has COLAs out RFLs VPTO etc.

They might slow or stop furloughs with the bailouts but I would not want to be in the bottom 30% on any seniority list. This industry is 50% timing 25% luck your chosen carrier stays alive and 25% networking and keeping your nose clean. I’m new to working in the business but not new to being around it. I’ve seen the 8 year regional FOs the CAs on reserve permanently through base closures downsizing etc. Always annoyed me when recent new hires think 1K tpic and they get their pick of Major...

American is offering "Early Out" for pilots in their last year of eligibility.

American is offering "Early Out" for pilots in their last year of eligibility.

Not just the last year - anyone 62 and older was eligible. It was a good deal - and over 600 guys jumped on it.

Thank you for all the information. I am no stranger to the fickleness of the airline industry. I went through this in 2002. My seniority number was high enough to avoid the 9/11 furloughs. Company asked if any retained pilots wanted to take leave and save a lower pilot from furlough. I responded with yes, I will take voluntary leave. Company responded with a denial of my request.

I've got a cousin who is a pilot for AA. He messaged me yesterday that they've had flights with as few as 4 passengers. He had one where the flight crew and non-revs were the vast majority, there were only 2 paid passengers on the plane. It's getting ugly. I'm hoping that our planned trip to PVR on May 2 still happens. Too many unknowns at this point.

I've got a cousin who is a pilot for AA. He messaged me yesterday that they've had flights with as few as 4 passengers. He had one where the flight crew and non-revs were the vast majority, there were only 2 paid passengers on the plane. It's getting ugly. I'm hoping that our planned trip to PVR on May 2 still happens. Too many unknowns at this point.
Sounds like social distancing has finally become possible on airline flights.

Guy at the Marina is a private jet pilot. Last week he said he got a 30% pay cut. Today he said he got furloughed. Sucks. Fortunately for him he has a military pension that kicks in. He has 2 kids too. Sucks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Friend at CBP told me that they’ve got guys who left to go to the airlines, now they’re scrambling to get hired back on at CBP. Crazy mess.

Not furlough but both neighbors fly private jets. One 135, the other 91. Neither has anything in the future on their schedules.

Been that way since last week after some folks got where they wanted to be to bunker down. The 135 said the airplane got parked and he airlined home. Which isn’t uncommon just meant there was no need for it anywhere and no crew airlining in to fly it after him.

JetEdge furloughed 50% of their pilots, Worldwide Jet laid off everyone, Dumont Jets laid off a bunch. I have a few airline friends who are very nervous right now. I'm a 91 pilot who's employer is in a line of work that would take a very serious and extended recession to start affecting. All that being said I am not buying anything non-essential for a while.

Friend at CBP told me that they’ve got guys who left to go to the airlines, now they’re scrambling to get hired back on at CBP. Crazy mess.
Yep. We had a guy in my new hire class that just did a leave of absence from Delta to go back to CBP. Another navy guy just did the same. With the stimulus package, I’ll have a job until October 1st at least.

Seems it’s making a good showing of who was a bottom feeder.

In a few months once this is all over I’d keep track of who was super fast to cut folks, not a good sign of somewhere you want to work

Seems it’s making a good showing of who was a bottom feeder.

In a few months once this is all over I’d keep track of who was super fast to cut folks, not a good sign of somewhere you want to work

I hear ya. Though to be fair, it doesn't account for the 'different spanks for different ranks' factor. E.g. not everyone is gonna get the same bailout money. We don't even know if all those eligible for gov cheese will even take it vice choosing to furlough now and not take the strings that come with the loans.

The no-furlough clause sunsetting in 1 Oct 2020 may protract the ability to make a full accounting of this, since the demand projections could swing wildly between taking the money now and the economy dictating what the demand curve will look like in October. By December 2020 I'd say you could probably call it with good accuracy.

Back