My plane turns 50

My new plane is 61 . Love it as it is my first . A broom tail Cessna 172.

My J4A turned 79 last October the day I sold it. Funny feeling, pulling the mixture realizing at 81 I'll never be PIC again.

I flew up to a new airport in the northern part of the state to pick up a 185 firewall and delivered it to a local tool and die maker. All for a friend that restores Cessna taildraggers. I'm not sure of a much more fitting way to spend my plane's 50th birthday than using it to help keep other Skywagons flying.

Cool, another fountain pen guy! I have a couple of Parker 51s, several 21s, and a 45, plus a couple of old Esterbrooks I’ve refurbed. Also several nice modern pens: Mont Blancs, Auroras, a couple of Cross Townsends,...

Of course what you really need is a 51 Flighter from the same year as your plane.
Well, mine is an aerometric Parker 51 in about the same color and the same quarter.

Most of my stuff is either vintage (Lots of Shaeffer, Parker, and some other fun stuff like Conklins, Esterbrooks, etc.). I also have some more modern "demonstrators" from Pelikan and Visconti and the monster OMAS 360. The 51 is one of my favorite pens in the day as it was one of the few fountain pens that could fill out FEDEX waybills. I also hae a Esterbrook marked US GOVERNMENT that I keep red ink in.

I even bought an entire pile of junk pens for $50 from Frank Dubriel (author of the pen repair book) for practice.

Mine is 67 years old. The stories it could tell being on floats in Canada from 1955 to 1996!

My AC was reissued in the 60s, but I found the born on date in the data plate (Feb 13).

Our club used to have a 182 whose logbooks had a great "Happy Birthday" at the very beginning where the production test pilot signed it off after its first flight. :)

Mine just turned 60 on March 10th.....daaaamn she's old! She doesn't look a day over 20. I love asking non-aviation folks that ride with me, "what year do you think this plane is"? I normally hear 2005-2010ish. I just tell them the Piper plant that built Comanches shut down in 1972. Then I just let them think mine was the last built......hahahaha

My Cub turns 74 October 9th this year (roll out date). It’s first flight was the next day, October 10. I was born sixteen years, to the day, later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back