How y'all keeping in shape?

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Maintaining good physical fitness is beneficial to maintaining a strong immune system. And this is the time to maintain it. My normal routine, prior to having all the gyms shut down, was to get up zero dark thirty, do a half an hour of resistance training with weights, an hour of cardio on the elliptical machine, and sometimes 50 laps in the pool. And, I might still bike 20 miles.

That is roughly 1,000 to 1,500 calories in the morning that I am not burning off due to no gym. That is a huge hit. So, I: 1. Try to eat less. 2. Walk to the coffee place in the morning (2 miles.) 3. Continue riding, but I can't do that every day because it's raining here.

For those of you that normally exercise (and I realize not everyone does), how are you keeping fit during this cower in place order?

Check the YouTube for Yoga With Adriene. There are bonus points for you if you actually do the stretches instead of simply staring.

I’m a swimmer and my pool is closed. Fortunately, we have a pretty good treadmill at home so my wife can get her miles in. Unfortunately, I had to give up on running when my knees and hips told me I was too old. I can still get a fast walking pace going for a long time, though.

Other than that, the outdoors are not off limits, yet, so we’ve been trying to walk when wx has been ok.

I expect to have to work hard to lose a lot of weight when this is over.

Last edited:
It’s been hard. Using the play ground at the nearby elementary school to do pull-ups, dips and body weight stuff. Other than that, just trying to get out and walk a bit. Sucks not having a gym...

Our state's lockdown order specifically says that going outside is permitted "for exercise". :)

My biggest obstacle to keeping in shape now is Mud Season. We just had a cold weekend, and I took advantage of it Sunday by climbing the local "ski hill" (still called that, though it hasn't been used for downhill skiing in over 20 years). It's a 900 ft elevation gain, so not a huge workout, but it's something. Now with temps above freezing, it's going to have to be fast walking around town. This is VT so it's hilly, but not possible to get a real workout that way without running.

Cycling not recommended yet due to copious amounts of salt on the (still wet) roads.

Ignoring the treadmill, exercise bike, tramp, and inversion table down the basement. Takes a lot of work! :)

Jim

I downloaded the 7 fitness app from Perigee (free version) as a guy at the gym highly recommended it. I'm doing 3-4 of the 7 minute programs each evening after work, and am augmenting that with some dumbbell work, long walks, and bicycling. As you have, I've also reduced calorie intake until I can get back to the gym. Hopefully this keeps me moving and in reasonable shape in the mean time.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/seven-7-minute-workout/id650276551

I'm eating less, running or biking outside when weather permits and following a home workout routine on youtube by athleanX.

Check the YouTube for Yoga With Adriene. There are bonus points for you if you actually do the stretches instead of simply staring.

Yeah, I don't think I can pull that one off in company.

Our state's lockdown order specifically says that going outside is permitted "for exercise". :)

Don't you find the wording "going outside is permitted for exercise" to be slightly troubling?

Don't you find the wording "going outside is permitted for exercise" to be slightly troubling?
If it was worded exactly that way, yeah I would. The exact wording is:
Vermonters are directed to stay at home or in their place of residence, leaving only for essential reasons such as: personal safety; groceries or medicine; curbside pick-up of goods, meals or beverages; medical care; exercise; care of others; and work, as set forth further below.
Lots of exceptions listed there, but not permitted to leave home except for them is what it means to be "locked down". Yeah, I'm more than slightly troubled that it has come to a lockdown... but there are other threads to discuss that.

Prison workouts, i.e., burpees, push ups and then use an in home workout machine and walk outside when able. None of this gives me as good of a workout as I usually get in the gym but it's something...

Well I did some pushups and situps yesterday, as well as a bo staff workout in the office.

Maintaining good physical fitness is beneficial to maintaining a strong immune system. And this is the time to maintain it. My normal routine, prior to having all the gyms shut down, was to get up zero dark thirty, do a half an hour of resistance training with weights, an hour of cardio on the elliptical machine, and sometimes 50 laps in the pool. And, I might still bike 20 miles.

That is roughly 1,000 to 1,500 calories in the morning that I am not burning off due to no gym. That is a huge hit. So, I: 1. Try to eat less. 2. Walk to the coffee place in the morning (2 miles.) 3. Continue riding, but I can't do that every day because it's raining here.

For those of you that normally exercise (and I realize not everyone does), how are you keeping fit during this cower in place order?

Watch and read the news, POA and some other forums. Jump up and down, rant and rave and throw stuff. Figure that’s good for few hundred calories. Then when I’ve worked up a good sweat I look at all the Memes and ROTFLMFAO. That’s probably good for a hundred more.

Unfortunately, I had to give up on running when my knees and hips told me I was too old.

I have an elliptical exerciser. I have a little discomfort in my hips when I walk on the treadmill, but the elliptical reduces the torture on my hips.

When I first got it I could only do 30 seconds at a time at minimum resistance setting. (remembering I live at 6500 feet) Now I usually do two 15 minute sessions a day, and it has really helped reduce the pain in my hips. Plus I have knocked off 35 pounds.

I have always gone with the thought that you keep your legs healthy, you keep your heart healthy.

The worst thing about a disruption to my fitness routine (which includes strength training at a local gym) is getting back into the routine. It's too easy to get lazy and fall into bad habits. Plus, I know I'm going to get sore once I start back on the weights, even if I take it easy. I'm still cycling outside on my Cyclete "stand-up" bike, so I'm thankful to still have that going.

12 ounce curls. The more I watch the news, the more in shape I get!

I have an elliptical exerciser. I have a little discomfort in my hips when I walk on the treadmill, but the elliptical reduces the torture on my hips.

When I first got it I could only do 30 seconds at a time at minimum resistance setting. (remembering I live at 6500 feet) Now I usually do two 15 minute sessions a day, and it has really helped reduce the pain in my hips. Plus I have knocked off 35 pounds.

I have always gone with the thought that you keep your legs healthy, you keep your heart healthy.
That 35 lb deal is where I need to be.

It's funny how our bodies adapt to whatever exercise we get. When I was a serious runner, 35-40 miles/week, I had that gaunt look and very low body fat. I look at photos from back then I barely recognize myself. Eventually time, age, and other life events slowed my down from running. Weight came back on, and the more I weighed the heavier the toll on my knees and hips when I ran. I stopped running completely and changed to power-walking, or whatever you want to call it, on the treadmill. For something different, I started swimming with my wife. She's been a swimmer for a long time and kept trying to get me into it. Once I did, I wished I had started sooner and saved some of that wear and tear on my knees and hips.

When I started seriously swimming laps a couple things happened: I lost weight for a little while, and then gained more. I like to think that it's muscle weight, though, since I've added almost 4 inches to my upper body size across my chest and shoulders. I'll take that, but I still need to get rid of that middle-age paunch.

About a year ago my wife got me started in her yoga workout that she does several times a week at the Y. I finally agreed to give it a try, and am glad I did. It isn't really a workout as much as a no impact stretching routine that CAN be a workout. Some things, like planks, can be tough. Many other things use your own body weight to stretch and rotate different parts, and it's been really good for my lower back. When she's stuck at home, my wife follows the YouTube channel I referred to way at the top of this thread.

Walked the dog until my hip started giving me problems.

I am exercising poor to fair judgement every day... And the idiocy in DC is keeping my heart rate up, so that's my cardio.

fly to the scene of the incident, or be recovered at the scene of the tragedy

Normal routine for me, just no swimming since the gym is closed.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday run 5-8 miles
Tuesday/Thursday bike 20 miles
Saturday run 13-20 miles
Sunday bike 50ish miles

I walked briskly for 30 min yesterday around the municipal airport. It's a pretty good place for it, because there's lots of paved apron and hangars. There wasn't much to watch, because nobody was flying and few people were around, aside from a guy gassing up his light sport using a bunch of jerry cans in the back of his car.

But oddly, a pickup with two guys pulled up and asked if I needed a ride -- just like it was two weeks ago, for them, I guess.

I went on a "bank run" to Academy Sports as I saw the zombie apocalypse approaching TX two weeks ago. Purchased .7 AMUs in free weights, rack, bench, bar, dumbells and misc equipment to replace 80% of my weight training requirements at the gym. The reaction at the store was classic, especially when I pulled up in a 4-door sedan to pick up all that dead weight, pun intended! That drive home was hilarious. Wife wasn't amused when I pulled up with the car sagging like an IED-laden Jalopy out of Fallujah. But now that she has the gym at home I'm getting mo' -ss than a toilet seat, so twofer. It's always an eye-twinkle moment when your wife begrudgingly admits you did something right she previously had criticized. :D

I will probably keep my gym membership when things re-open, but it's been real nice to make my garage into a personal mini-jailhouse gym. 3am itch to feed the machine? No problem! Plus I can use the term living the dream non-ironically so there's that :D

Last edited:
We've gone on some walks, but it's been raining here too. Fortunately it's raining less, so that helps.

I got out and did a short 3.4 mile run this morning. Hoping to get in a bike ride this afternoon, but my wife has plans on doing some cleaning at the old house (sale closes on Friday).

I expect to be working from home for at least another two weeks. My plan is to run in the morning and bike in the afternoon. Get my endurance back up so I can get back to swimming and triathlons again and get ready for the Peachtree (10K) in July.

Still running and riding outside as much as possible. Otherwise, I ride my bike on the trainer using Zwift.

I'm using the bulldozer, working on the tractors (and truck, and everything else)... just doing physical activities in general.

I’m working out my throttle hand, if u know what I’m sayin.....

I am keeping up with going to the gym on schedule. The quarantine is not going to make me get out of shape.

Okay, the gym is in my hangar 40 feet from the house. Airpark living for the win!

Monday, Wednesday, Friday - weight training plus some bodyweight exercises. Workouts switch between traditional exercises targeting bodyparts, and whole-body workouts targeting function. It’s a bit of a complex rotation but it works for me and reduces boredom and burnout. The weights these days are moderate to light - if I can’t hit 10 reps, it’s too heavy.

Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday - a few rounds on the heavy bag.

Just about every day - swim. Our pool is small so the laps are very short. I just swim for as long as I can, catch my breath and do it again. Plus most days start with a set of pushups and pullups.

I also walk when my bone-on-bone knee and painful ankle aren’t acting up too badly.

Back