IR Written Before Training

pit2atx

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pit2atx
With the ever so restrictive lockdown measures being put in place, I'm considering making use of the time by knocking out the IR written (or at least studying for it). For my PPL, I completed the entire written portion before stepping into a plane and that worked quite well. Of course I learned quite a bit more in the air and through instruction. I used Sportys and self research for any open areas.

Can the same be said for the instrument rating? If so, any recommendations on a specific program? e.g, Sporty's, King etc..

sure, bang it out. I took my written before jumping into IR training, no biggie.

Go for it. A case could be made for concurrent (flight and ground together) training being ideally a bit better, but probably much more applicable at the PPL stage, which, obviously you got through fine. So much of IR is a 'head game" anyway, nothing wrong with getting the book knowledge first.
Personal preference, I'd go with Sporty's, supplemented with the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook, and maybe more importantly, Instrument Procedures Handbook. Also, further in-depth study into weather knowledge, using any materials out there (FAA, Jepp, whatever).

Go for it. Not doing it concurrently with training it might be a little harder but when will you have more time? I used sporty's for IFR and got 88%. Then I used King for the commercial and got 88%. I think either works well.

Wouldn’t do it any other way. The more you know going in will allow the instructor to concentrate on more advanced details and you will better be able to judge the instructor’s knowledge and be able to talk the same language.

Go for it. Not doing it concurrently with training it might be a little harder but when will you have more time? I used sporty's for IFR and got 88%. Then I used King for the commercial and got 88%. I think either works well.

Exactly what I was thinking. Studying takes a ton of time and life gets in the way. I'd rather make this down time as productive as possible. Thanks for the insight folks

Add a a bit of flying simulated approaches on your favorite simulator like X-plane, etc. To make the application of the information a bit more tangible.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Absolutely. Your training will be more fun with the written out of the way.

I did my written before the first Flight. Was worth it imo. now how ya going to study for said written :popcorn:

With the ever so restrictive lockdown measures being put in place, I'm considering making use of the time by knocking out the IR written (or at least studying for it). For my PPL, I completed the entire written portion before stepping into a plane and that worked quite well. Of course I learned quite a bit more in the air and through instruction. I used Sportys and self research for any open areas.

Can the same be said for the instrument rating? If so, any recommendations on a specific program? e.g, Sporty's, King etc..

I did it. I can’t think of any reason not to.

I had my written done before I started as well. One less thing to worry about. Just make sure you get the check ride in within 24 months.

Spot on - I just bought King's last night. Between stuck in the house, and no flying what with low clouds and rain for last 2 weeks and foretasted as well for what seems like the next YEAR - need to do something!

My IFR newbie, first impression. I just assumed everything was direct - point to point. Didn't occur to me that you still had VOR to VOR routes, DME distances, etc. I also assumed you had to have WAAS GPS or you didn't fly IFR. Lot to learn!

This is how I am approaching it as well (sort of) - I did about 4 hours worth of lessons last year but it didn't really stick, but now I'm going through ground school in more detail and it's helping to put everything together. Hopefully I can get the written out of the way and restart lessons in a few weeks, COVID permitting.

Watching the first few King videos with Martha. Kind of like having a Grandmother talk to you - somehow you have to listen more intensely least you be disrespectful.

Just an FYI... not sure if this would affect you depending on your timing - PSI Testing Centers (the ones owned by PSI, those operated by 3rd party ones may still be open) are closed for a few weeks. Closed through April 13th at this time.

Given the amount of time to get through and understand the material - not a problem!

Just an FYI... not sure if this would affect you depending on your timing - PSI Testing Centers (the ones owned by PSI, those operated by 3rd party ones may still be open) are closed for a few weeks. Closed through April 13th at this time.
Thanks for the heads up. Although I "think" I'm smart :confused:, I definitely feel like I'll need more time than that to get through all the material. From what I've read, it's quite a bit more book work than PPL

Thanks for the heads up. Although I "think" I'm smart :confused:, I definitely feel like I'll need more time than that to get through all the material. From what I've read, it's quite a bit more book work than PPL
Think that depends on your starting point. PP has a lot of flying theory and basic weather. If you are starting from zero on those, it's hard. Instrument has a lot more detail and I found it much harder (for the written). I took a cram course before starting training, passed with a mediocre grade and forgot everything I learned, except reading Low IFR charts. I relearned everything during the actual IFR training, and found the oral to be pretty easy as it was much more application focused. I would do the same if I had it to do over, get the written out of the way and then learn during flight training.

Sure, get your written out of the way. My recommendation would be to download and read the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Instrument Procedures Handbook (FAA pubs and they're free). Then get the AIM out and reread the sections that cover IFR flight now that they should mean more to you having read the first two. In addition there are two AC's which are the Aviation Weather and the Weather Reporting. This covers a good amount of the test material.

Then you can drill and kill with your favorite source (I like Irwin Gleim but there are plenty out there).

Back