Pireps for Paint shops?

Adam Weiss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kcmopilot
Looking at Crider in Mena, Arkansas and Aircraft Refinishing Co in Paola, KS.
Any Pireps on either?

thanks!

After getting 3 quotes, I settled on Crider Aircraft Painting, Inc in Mena, AR.
I hope this PIREP will be helpful for anyone looking to paint their plane.

The original paint scheme was yellow and white, with blue trim work.
After a bird strike, the previous owner had the fuselage painted grey, red, and blue.
The wings were still the original yellow/white/blue.

Plane Mix.jpg

I found an RV-9A sketch online, then had my daughter design a paint scheme in PhotoShop.
I wanted a 12-inch N-number for international travel.
planefinal2.jpg

I sent this and a couple pictures to Rodger Crider at Crider Aircraft Paint, and he promptly gave me a quote.
It explained the exact process he would use for painting.
Of the 3 quotes I got, his was lowest.
I was nervous about that, being as you usually get what you pay for, but gave it a shot.

The process was super easy.
I dropped my plane off, and while I was there, his son taped off the curve design in a rough-fit, just so we could discuss.
Then I chose a few colors from his swatches, paid a down payment and left.

Rodger sent me pictures of the progress at each step of the way.
20200423_142434.jpg

He fixed a couple leaky rivets in my fuel tank, free of charge.

IMG_3690.jpg
IMG_3691.JPG

And the final product!

FInal 1.jpg final 2.jpg

I'm really happy with the quality of the paint job.
The price was very fair.
I'd certainly give Crider my recommendation.

I still have to pay him for the 2nd half!
For some reason the bank tried to "protect" me on the 2nd wire transfer, even though the first one worked fine.
I need to call the bank on Monday, as the branch couldn't take care of it today.
Anyway, Rodger was gracious about that too.

I'm thrilled with the new paint, and even picked up a couple knots.
The old paint was really orange-peeled, and this is smooth as glass.

BTW, you can’t compare quotes from others planes. Price will be affected by colors you choose, if metallic or not, complexity of the pattern or if it’s 2-tone, plane type, etc.

Last edited:
BTW, you can’t compare quotes from others. Price will be affected by colors you choose, if metallic or not, complexity of the pattern or if it’s 2-tone, plane type, etc.
Well, I think you can compare different quotes.
That’s kind of the point.
I gave all 3 shops the same drawing.
Told them all it was an RV-9A.
Told all three I wanted a base plus 2 colors.
Ended up going metallic on the 2 colors.
It was as close of an apples-to-apples as I could get.

Question?? How long from the verbal trade to the finished product???? I've talked with a few shop and they are 6 to 9 months out. Thanks... great looking RV...

Question?? How long from the verbal trade to the finished product???? I've talked with a few shop and they are 6 to 9 months out. Thanks... great looking RV...
It was 2 weeks from the time he gave me the quote until he was able to fit me in. Then it was 4 weeks to paint.

You can see from the first post in this thread I was asking for PIREPs on March 23.
Hadn’t decided yet. And May 7 was done.

Well, I think you can compare different quotes.
That’s kind of the point.
I gave all 3 shops the same drawing.
Told them all it was an RV-9A.
Told all three I wanted a base plus 2 colors.
Ended up going metallic on the 2 colors.
It was as close of an apples-to-apples as I could get.
I was referring to someone reading a quote on the internet, that’s what I meant by “others”. In other words, if you posted a price somebody else shouldn’t assume that’s how much theirs will cost.
Also when comparing don’t forget some states have +10% sales tax, some have none (Florida for example).

It was 2 weeks from the time he gave me the quote until he was able to fit me in. Then it was 4 weeks to paint.

You can see from the first post in this thread I was asking for PIREPs on March 23.
Hadn’t decided yet. And May 7 was done.
4 weeks is as fast as you can expect, my guy said 5, it took 8 but I had a fuel leak after stripping that had to be fixed.

Back