ATC Zero ZNY

CRQFlier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CRQFlier
Curious for the folks out in the northeast, what this practically means for localized GA VFR (and IFR I suppose) traffic. Imagine it's the equivalent of LA Center shutting, but even cruising through LA you rarely talk with center unless you go outside SoCal approach/departure.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Curious for the folks out in the northeast, what this practically means for localized GA VFR (and IFR I suppose) traffic. Imagine it's the equivalent of LA Center shutting, but even cruising through LA you rarely talk with center unless you go outside SoCal approach/departure.

Ground stop nationwide likely coming soon. NY and reportedly DC on top of Indy centers shutting down.

Did FAA leadership think they weren’t going to see cases? This isn’t the way to do business...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cargo still has to move, don't think a ground stop is feasible. Doesn't seem like faa has been taking it seriously enough though. On the landline Facebook group it sounds like about 1/2 the controllers are about ready to walk out. A massive sick out would certainly make things more interesting.

Ground stop nationwide likely coming soon. NY and reportedly DC on top of Indy centers shutting down.

Did FAA leadership think they weren’t going to see cases? This isn’t the way to do business...

Yeah, they had the chance weeks ago to tell workers to isolate as much as possible; most towers and centers have a pretty dense workspace (at least the last time I visited a decade and a half ago) so if one gets sick, there goes the facility.

So everything turns class E. Does that ground people not at towered fields?

I would think it only prevents IFR and also any Classe B, C, D airspace entries unless any of them reverts to E (like my home field towered D that goes to E at night when tower is closed).

Looks like they’re back online - 883FEDB5-41A4-4054-98CB-BDB576752FB4.jpeg

This is basically what I was wondering.You can easily traverse southern California airspace, including B, C, D, without LA Center contact. Was just wondering if it's the same in NY or if the ARTCC being down somehow stops local traffic too.
I would think it only prevents IFR and also any Classe B, C, D airspace entries unless any of them reverts to E (like my home field towered D that goes to E at night when tower is closed).

I hope this is not the case, but I can see restriction to only "necessary" flights, airlines, MediVac, things like that, somewhat similar to the period immediately post-2011.

Nuke plants are talking about housing workers and isolating them for a few weeks at a time and exchanging. Wonder if ATC should do something similar?

Yeah, they had the chance weeks ago to tell workers to isolate as much as possible; most towers and centers have a pretty dense workspace (at least the last time I visited a decade and a half ago) so if one gets sick, there goes the facility.
I don't get it. Someone's sick. Everyone around him is either already exposed or not. So sanitize the place and send everyone back to work with surgical masks.

We went through this after the Chicago Center fire shut down ZAU for about 3 weeks, and it appears that ZID is handling things in a similar fashion. I would imagine all facilities and the ATCSCC are working on similar contingency plans right now.

Basically, all of the traffic that wasn't landing or departing within ZAU's airspace was routed around, and traffic in or out had to descend down to lower altitudes, where the TRACONs handled them. It was really weird being IFR at 6,000 feet in the Mooney and having airliners fly a couple thousand feet over me! Eventually, they were able to use equipment at neighboring facilities to work the edges at least.

Now, that may not work at a larger scale with multiple centers going down. Here in the midwest and northeast, there are TRACONs all over the place. I'm pretty sure I could get from, say, Madison, WI to New York without ever talking to a Center if I needed to - It'd be Madison, Rockford, Chicago (approach), South Bend, Fort Wayne, Toledo, Mansfield, Cleveland, Akron-Canton, Youngstown, Pittsburgh, Johnstown, Potomac, Harrisburg, Philly, maybe Allentown, New York.

But, starting at the same airport and going the other direction - No TRACON bordering Madison to the North or West, and there are wide swaths of the country where there are no TRACONs out west. In fact, just ZLA and ZLC would create a mid-continent gap... Anyone know if there's enough contiguous TRACONs to jump that?

Interesting times, for sure.

I think your reasoning is valid, Kent.... but just an update that both Mansfield and Akron-Canton approaches consolidated into CLE center a few months ago. The controllers moved to the Center building up North. Tower svcs only located @ MFD and CAK.

Jim

Was joking with an Australian controller yesterday...

“Any of your co-workers married to nurses?”

The thing will eventually completely “get” a facility if things get bad.

Then you have the option of asking for already sick volunteers who are recovering to work a “sick” facility I suppose.

Zombies vs Twinkies! LOL.

I think your reasoning is valid, Kent.... but just an update that both Mansfield and Akron-Canton approaches consolidated into CLE center a few months ago. The controllers moved to the Center building up North. Tower svcs only located @ MFD and CAK.

Interesting. CAK is still a C though - Is it just that the controllers are in the Center and you still call Approach?

Most (all?) of the non-Detroit TRACONs in Michigan were consolidated into "Great Lakes Approach" with all of the controllers working in Kalamazoo last summer. I wonder if all of the ATC consolidation over the last 20 years or so, which seems to be accelerating recently, is going to prove to be a bad idea in the face of this virus.

I've heard MSN is getting a new tower and the TRACON will move to Milwaukee... I'd be really surprised if they don't absorb GRB TRACON as well. I hope they call it Cheesehead Approach. :D I mean, Milwaukee already has the "GOPAC2" arrival. :) I've heard that some Chicago controllers call it the "goppick two" because they can't stand to say "Go Pack!" :rofl:

Correct, Kent.....the people (mostly the same folks, I think) are re-located to the Center, and the new call is to "CLE approach" for both airspaces.

Jim

Interesting. CAK is still a C though - Is it just that the controllers are in the Center and you still call Approach?
DAY tracon got merged into CMH a few years ago too. Dayton tower hands you off to Columbus departure.

Shows ya how much I've been (not) paying attention... I've been to DAY probably 3 times in the last year. :rofl:
To be fair they just say "Contact departure...." But a few Columbus departure controllers get snippy if you call them Dayton departure.

If you are approaching from the East; click your mic once.
If you are approaching from the West; click your mic twice.
If you are approaching from the North; click your mic three times.
If you are approaching from the South; click your mic four times.

(click click unintelligible)

...why don't you just tell me where you're coming from?

Back