Rough River Kentucky Fly-in 2020 - April 23-26

I just received an e-mail that my camping reservation has been cancelled again. Last year it was due to the high water, so I outsmarted them and reserved a spot that water couldn't affect. The campground officially opens 4/9 and they have closed the campground till 5/10. The official statement is Closed for public concern.

Seems very knee jerk since that is a month away, but who knows. This is the Federal Gvmt, not state. Might want to check out the State and any closing og the lodge or the cabins.

I'll email them now. but if they were "closed", what's stopping us from flying in and taking over the place for a few days??? eh? eh?

I'll email them now. but if they were "closed", what's stopping us from flying in and taking over the place for a few days??? eh? eh?

Depends, the owner of the airport is Kentucky Department of Parks. If they want to I'm sure they could have the airport NOTEMed closed.

Other logistical things like no bathrooms, showers, shelter, restaurant, etc...

Assert your dominance as a pilot and show up anyway! :D

This is on the KY state park FB page..
As a precautionary measure, all Kentucky State Parks are curtailing services and events during the coronavirus outbreak. All restaurants are closed for dining services but most will provide food on a carry-out basis. Lodge rooms and cottages are open for rental. Museums will be closed but the park grounds will remain open. Campgrounds, golf courses, marinas and hiking trails remain open. State park events scheduled through April 30 are cancelled or postponed.

Please call the park if you have questions. #kystateparks #TeamKentucky

So, sounds like rooms will still be available. Will have to wait and see if they reopen the restaurant but it's over a month away yet.

their response:

Thank you for your question, eman. Here is where we at Rough River are now.

1. The Park remains open.
2. We are still renting cottages every day.
3. We are renting Lodge Rooms on Friday and Saturday only, as we are still in “Winter Operations Mode” thru April 13.
4. We will make a decision on what to do after April 13 within the next two weeks.
5. Our Restaurant is currently open Friday Lunch thru Sunday Lunch (Winter Operating Hours); however, as of Monday we are doing take-out only. This is planned for the next two weeks. The overall situation will dictate what Parks Central Office has us do after that.
6. As you would imagine, things are rather fluid. There is still time between now and your event to announce any changes.

Basically, we are on a “wait & see” status. Please keep checking in with us for any updates. You can also check our Face Book page.

We appreciate you and your friends. Hope to be able to host you full force.

see, we're appreciated!

The obvious thing is to load up our chem trail tanks, fly down two days ahead, fog the the whole park ala ***** Galore’s Flying Circus on a low level formation pass and return on schedule to a Corona Virus Free enclave in the Heart of Kentucky.

All as a Public Service.

Cheers

I was totally looking forward to April. Start off flying to Sun n Fun. Next was our RRK fly in. At the end of the month was the Twin Cessna Flyers convention in Texas. Sun n Fun was “delayed”, and today the convention was cancelled. So, I hope our event can happen.

I wrote this this morning and I'm posting this here first because you guys get it...

The WuFlu song

I turned on the TV

to see we are quarantined

We wash our hands, and cough in our sleeve

The hysteria is rising

As fast as the death count

And wild predictions

Continue to flow

Where, where, are you tonight

Who is infected,

who is all right?

You’re the scourge the world over

Infecting most ev’yone

Soon we’ll be all sick

Then thwt we are gone

So....how’s it looking for everyone given the events of the last few weeks?

still hasn't changed for me. if the park is open, I'm going. and assuming they don't close the sky. and assuming it isn't hailing when I'm trying to get out there. and assuming it isn't BYOTP.

if a bunch of people bail then I'll bring my clubs and make it a golf trip.

If the park stays open and I’m not sick, I’m still in. Probably won’t do takeout from the restaurant, will bring a couple of coolers and cool in the cabin.

So....how’s it looking for everyone given the events of the last few weeks?
If my plane is flyable and the runway is open, I’m in! Has to be better than last years 30+ kt crosswind when I arrived.

@eman1200 MAY be there if he doesn’t spot a cloud anywhere between the Atlantic Ocean and KY.

PS. I’d like to re-institute last years policy of twins on the hard surface. Just in case it gets full.

I will be there provided the lodge doesnt close on us...
  • Bringing Golf Clubs
  • Bringing portable Grill
  • Cooler with stuff.

I’m still in if things are open! Worried more about the small airports around here being shut down, or more specifically, the FBOs.

Ok great! We are supposed to be at Disney that week until the 24th., but it’s looking like that may not happen. That means I can come a day earlier and punish my liver, just didn’t want to do it by myself.

I’ll bring my clubs (and plenty of extra balls for the wayward shots).
Atlanta area pilots who need a ride let me know. I expect we’ll have seats and room for clubs.

I’ll bring my clubs (and plenty of extra balls for the wayward shots).
Atlanta area pilots who need a ride let me know. I expect we’ll have seats and room for clubs.

I was planning on borrowing a plane, but let’s see what happens over the next month.

Does a plane have to be 6 feet wide to carry passengers? Otherwise it will violate the "social distancing" rule.

Since Ohio is semi closed, I’ll be there via air or car if I’m not captured evading the “keep the Geezers inside” rule by going outside.

Cheers

let the ONE MONTH countdown BEGIN!

if you're sick in any way, stay home! otherwise, see u in a month!

Oh no. I just got a text message from the woman who rents out the cabins telling me to call her. That's not going to be good.

The restaurant is closed. The little meeting room she said will most likely not be available but there's a slim chance they might be able to look the other way she said but we can't prevent you from putting up your own giant party tent.

she said since we are only considered a lodging group the cabins are currently still open.

She said they are not on lockdown out there yet but she thinks it's coming.

She said they've already cancelled pretty much every other group out there that was coming out there for a meeting including weddings and a couple of other things.

as of right now our reservations all still stand she said if anybody can't make it to please have them call in and cancel their booking.

I may have to go missed on this one. As of tonight at midnight we have a do not leave the house unless it's for a essential business order.

if that's still in place there's no way I would be able to get anybody to watch my kids or justify this. So I am assuming at this point that I'm probably going to be out.

She didn't seem really positive but as of this moment we're still booked.

I have basically made the same decision Bryan. I am not even looking for other places to put the Motorhome. We did the one hour each way drive last year because of the level of water in the lake, and it was a bit of a pain, maybe later in the spring would work out if we see this thing flattening out and winding down.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

This virus and the ensuing issues caused has developed so fast in the last few days. It looks like Kentucky is about to “close all non life sustaining businesses to in person traffic.” Who knows what happens next.

What if that one air show up North ends up canceling it’s July event, and we all escape the virus, but still have the weekend off with no place to fly....

This virus and the ensuing issues caused has developed so fast in the last few days. It looks like Kentucky is about to “close all non life sustaining businesses to in person traffic.” Who knows what happens next.

What if that one air show up North ends up canceling it’s July event, and we all escape the virus, but still have the weekend off with no place to fly....

I'll still putting on bryventure.
No plans to cancel.

So does this change anything for folks....
Probably should be getting a head count on who is in or out....

I have to fold. :(
There's no way we will be able to make this happen at this point.

Eman if I owe you for any cancellation fees or anything, let me know.

Sux!

Back