Single cylinder high EGT, very high CHT, rough engine - Clogged injector?

mvgossman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mvgossman
I hope an engine guru here can help me with a question regarding a problem I had with my IO-360-A3B6D . It has 1100 hours SMOH.

I was flying my Mooney at 4000 feet, 24 inches manifold pressure, 2400 RPM, 100 degrees rich of peak. A few minutes later I experienced engine roughness developing over about 20 seconds, enough to cause me to change course to the nearest airport. I looked at my JPI engine monitor and found the number 4 cylinder to be at 450 degrees. I went to full rich mixture immediately, and the engine promptly got smooth again over 20 seconds and the CHT went down to its normal level. I landed without incident.

I called my own mechanic and he suggested I just head home on full rich, felt strongly that it was a partially clogged fuel injector nozzle. I decided to leave the plane overnight and drove home because I'm a chicken and darkness was coming in an hour
I contacted a local mechanic at a nearby airport, his initial opinion was a sticking exhaust valve but after talking about things further he also concluded a partially plugged fuel injector being to blame. I asked him to go check the engine including borescopes and injector and plug examination. This revealed normal cylinders, normal pistons, normal fuel injectors which he cleaned anyway, and the top plug for that cylinder had an insulator crack. He replaced the plug and pronounced the plane airworthy, with the leading theory being a partially plugged fuel injector.

I flew it home well rich of peak until I was over my home airport, circled the airport trying all combinations of MP, RPM, ROP, LOP, airborne mag checks and everything is totally normal.
I downloaded my JPI data, pertinent portion below.

The basic question I have is, what are the consequences of a partially plugged fuel injector nozzle? Two mechanics were quick to blame a partially clogged fuel injector even after hearing of the CHT of 450 when I noted roughness.

Refer to my engine data with the labelled magenta points, referring to cylinder #3 in brown trace.

1. Normal lean to 100 ROP.
2. Drop in EGT. I’m wondering if that this was moment of the initial partial obstruction of the cylinder 3 injector nozzle that took the mixture even more lean of peak.
3. Rise in EGT as possibly the mixture went to a leaner EGT…
4. ... which coincides exactly where the CHT began rising, maxed out at 484 deg F.
5. About 20 seconds after I noted the rough engine and heading to the nearest airport, I noted the elevated CHT (I think it was 450 on the display) at this point and went full rich with prompt decrease in CHT. I didn’t notice the EGT at the time, but it went down too on the graph.
6. Even at full rich the EGT began to rise here.
7. Perhaps at this point a partially obstructed injector nozzle resolved itself. Everything normal after that.

So here are my thoughts. It seems like these are the leading events possible with a clogged injector.

1. A complete blockage of an injector would cause loss of power, roughness, and low EGT and CHT I would think, so this can be ruled out.
2. A partial blockage resulting in a mixture lean of peak would result in power loss, roughness, lower EGT, and lower CHT. I think this can be ruled out.
3. A partial blockage could result in a leaner mixture resulting in peak EGT, and this may not be good in the long run for the health of that cylinder because CHT would run hotter on that cylinder, but I do not think that it would result in this rapid of a CHT rise nor that peak CHT of 484 degrees F, would you agree?
4. I think that what really happened is that something triggered a detonation or pre-ignition event.

So that’s where I need help. Which came first, the chicken or the egg, and what egg? The detonation may have been triggered by a cracked insulator on that top plug, perhaps provoked by a partially blocked injector resulting in a peak EGT mixture or even lean of peak? Or is the cracked insulator a red herring, i.e. can in fact a peak EGT mixture, presumably caused by injector nozzle blockage, start detonation all by itself and the cracked insulator was caused by the detonation itself?

And regarding preignition, my understanding is that this is a very rapid, catastrophic event, so can we rule that out or could it have been “mild pre-ignition”?

A pilot friend with tons of commercial flying operations behind piston engines says he thinks it’s a sticking exhaust valve. The theory is that the stuck open exhaust valve would result in high EGT and that could cause a falsely high reading from the CHT probe. I could be wrong, but I would think that EGT would go up higher than that or at least fluctuate more wildly, and I doubt that the CHT probe would heat up. Plus, I have no morning sickness symptoms.

I really need your help on what to do next. I spoke with someone at AOPA and he (an A&P) felt that plugged injector and then detonation was the most likely, and that I should get the timing checked. If the timing checks out OK I see no alternative but to fly and monitor.

Mitch

P. S. The format of the AOPA Pilot Information Center that replaces the red board, what do you think of it?

Attachments

• Labelled Tracing CHT.jpg
    Labelled Tracing CHT.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Tracing FF.jpg
    Tracing FF.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 26
Easiest first. If the intake has rubber hoses and clamps, make sure they’re tight. Lean can come from an air leak.

Easiest first. If the intake has rubber hoses and clamps, make sure they’re tight. Lean can come from an air leak.
Definitely can be a source of a lean mixture in one cylinder.

What do you think the CHT and EGT would do if the resulting mixture happen to be at peak EGT for that cylinder?

My suggestion is that the EGT would rise to the normal peak EGT you would see, the CHT would drift higher than the other cylinders but not extremely high as mine did. I suggest that only detonation or preignition could do that, and yes I imagine it could be precipitated by a peak EGT lean mixture from whatever cause. But that's like the gas and oxygen but no match, you need something else to trigger detonation. Timing wrong (too advanced), poor octane gasoline, cracked spark plug insulator, carbon deposit, etc. I just do not see how a plugged injector can all by itself do what my cylinder did.

Moral of the story is, if I understand this correctly, is when you have CHT climbing like this, go full rich and investigate for the cause with borescope, check plugs, check timing (coming soon for mine), etc.

I emailed Lycoming support, we'll see what they say.

Angle valve cylinders rarely stick Exhaust valves even more unlikely at cruise power. I'd give it to moderate detonation starting with the cracked ceramic. Going full rich puts out the ignition source. I had one crack a ceramic on a long gentle climb out. Got to play with it on the way back to the shop. The mixture would turn the detonation on and off and to a lesser extent a large decrease in power. Pulled the cylinder because the piston showed minor erosion. Put in a new exhaust valve just because. Of course it helped to own an engine shop..... Had I not caught it with the JPI alarm i well could have holed the piston and destroyed the engine. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines former owner.

Angle valve cylinders rarely stick Exhaust valves even more unlikely at cruise power. I'd give it to moderate detonation starting with the cracked ceramic. Going full rich puts out the ignition source. I had one crack a ceramic on a long gentle climb out. Got to play with it on the way back to the shop. The mixture would turn the detonation on and off and to a lesser extent a large decrease in power. Pulled the cylinder because the piston showed minor erosion. Put in a new exhaust valve just because. Of course it helped to own an engine shop..... Had I not caught it with the JPI alarm i well could have holed the piston and destroyed the engine. Charlie Melot Zephyr Engines former owner.

Sounds like a likely contender. There's no smoking gun that is for sure a smoking gun. My thought is that because the event started promptly after leaning to 100 ROP that the injector was partially occluded producing a lean enough mixture to promote detonation, potentially promoted by the cracked insulator. Or the insulator just cracked, starting the whole cascade. Or the insulator was cracked BECAUSE of the detonation perhaps triggered by a clogged injector. Complex, isn't it?

You are so right, who knows what would have happened if I hadn't seen the CHT 450. I am wondering how I missed the flashing 380 which is where I have the flashing alarm set, I wish it would sound an audible alarm too.

Or maybe I would have reflexively enriched the mixture when the roughness started and all would have been well anyhow. I think flying a single engine airplane is madness with a monitor. Come to think of it, single engine planes are madness to some people... But twice as much risk as an engine failure, which is no duck walk to manage in a twin.

I have had partially plugged injectors twice in my IO-520A and no damage on climb out. The first time pulled injectors and blew out. The second time I pumped the throttle violently several times and the problem went away as the particle worked its way through. Obviously fuel filtration not adequate. Automotive filtering superior and I inserted one from Summit Racing to find the cause as a test which worked. I had recently replaced the fuel tank bladder and there were residual fibers from the manufacturing process. FYI bladders are laid up on a cardboard mold which is then washed out with water.

I took the filter out to avoid the FAA bitching but safety says it should have stayed in.

High heat is usually a symptom of rich mixtures. clogged injectors cause lean mixtures.
remember Lycoming injectors are fixed orifice, they adjust the pressure to vary flow.

You need to get an EMS, Engine Monitoring System. They are very capable and inexpensive. It would only take wrecking one cylinder to pay for it. Mine is a JP Instruments EDM-730 and was only $1500.

I have had personal experience with this problem twice on two consecutive flights. Both times it was a partially plugged injector, and not the same cylinder. Going full rich is the correct measure. The second instance this was still not adequate to resolve the high temperatures for me but fortunately I was near the end of a 2 hour cross country and with reduced Power was able to do an extended glide to my home airport. Both times when we pulled the injector the contaminant was visible. Check your fuel screen. If you find debris particularly any fibrous material clean it and consider sending your spider to a certified shop for inspection. An A&P is not certified to open up a fuel injection spider (I am an A&P). In my case the problems were tracked to fibrous material that came from the home airports fuel pump filter. When I was researching what could have caused the problem one of Continental’s engineers predicted it would be fibrous material that would snake its way through the screens and he was right. We had to clean both tanks, flush the system and replace the screen and the spider. Without a JPI 930 we would most likely have had a major in flight mechanical issue.

I am not familiar with Lycoming but I KNOW $30 Summit racing filter will catch debris that stock filtering misses; I got the 30 micron version. This is a well made unit of anodized aluminum and uses AN fittings. Clearly the manufacturer's filtration is lacking in both our cases. I probably should put it back in line. Better a live prisoner that a dead but legal obsessive. At one time, a long time ago, the FAA would probably given me a field approval. Since I am not a A&P I have little to lose by saving my life.

You need to get an EMS, Engine Monitoring System. They are very capable and inexpensive. It would only take wrecking one cylinder to pay for it. Mine is a JP Instruments EDM-730 and was only $1500.

Perhaps you need to read the OP more carefully.

I looked at my JPI engine monitor and found the number 4 cylinder to be at 450 degrees.

Once again if you are getting debris into your injectors it probably means stock fuel filtering is lacking. Briar Rabbit seems to suggest that fibrous material is coming from the "spider" and it may be but I KNOW my fibrous material was coming from from the new fuel bladder since I caught it in the 30 micron filter I inserted in the fuel feed hose.

I am not familiar with Lycoming but I KNOW $30 Summit racing filter will catch debris that stock filtering misses; I got the 30 micron version. This is a well made unit of anodized aluminum and uses AN fittings. Clearly the manufacturer's filtration is lacking in both our cases. I probably should put it back in line. Better a live prisoner that a dead but legal obsessive. At one time, a long time ago, the FAA would probably given me a field approval. Since I am not a A&P I have little to lose by saving my life.

Just be aware that a better (i.e. more restrictive) fuel filter can also clog up and cause loss of power. It probably won't but it's not the straight forward "no-brainer" solution to this problem.

Once again if you are getting debris into your injectors it probably means stock fuel filtering is lacking. Briar Rabbit seems to suggest that fibrous material is coming from the "spider" and it may be but I KNOW my fibrous material was coming from from the new fuel bladder since I caught it in the 30 micron filter I inserted in the fuel feed hose.
Nope, I am not suggesting that it is originating in the spider. The intent is that when you have contamination in an injector some material passed through the fuel screen and then into the spider on the way to the injector. If you find contamination remaining in the fuel screen it is probably still in the spider too. To totally remove it from the system you will likely need to clean out or replace the spider.

stuck open exhaust valve would result in high EGT and that could cause a falsely high reading from the CHT
IIRC a stuck open exhaust valve would lower, not raise CHT. The higher EGT is likely because the EGT probe would be exposed to exhaust gasses for extended intervals. Low CHT because low compression and power on that cylinder... again...IIRC... Also did you recently fuel up? If so, also opens some possibilities...

I agree that it can be from the spider but I KNOW that some particles can pass through stock Cessna fuel filtering because I saw them in the screen of my 30 micron filter. I specifically said in my post (eighth word of second line) that it might be from the spider. I would like to know of the spider was the guilty party.

Mitch,

I agree with #1-4 above, although from the screen shots you took from the savvy site it's hard to tell because I can't see the scale on the detailed one.

You could go flying, make sure you're under 65% power, stabilize the temperatures at a hundred degrees rich of peak and then move to full peak and note how fast your temperatures rise and the relative change in egts. Then compare the rate of that temperature rise to what you see on this graph in that one cylinder. That should tell you if that rate of EGT climb and also the rate of CHT climb could have been caused by going exactly to peak. goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, don't let your CHT's go over 380!

But the question still remains at what percentage power were you at 24 and 24? And also if you went to peak power at that setting would you be in a zone with your octane fuel that could cause detonation or pre-ignition? Also many times you can tell from the cylinder face photograph if that did happen because there are characteristic marks which you can Google for.

I had a similar situation except after a brief period of sputtering (almost like I leaned way too far or forgot to switch tanks) I saw a drop in fuel flow. So, I enrichened, which got it running smoothly again. Then started seeing high EGT’s and CHT’s on multiple cylinders when trying to go back to same LOP fuel flow I was at. I ended up having to fly ROP just to keep temps down while I turned around to get home.

I have my shop checking all injectors, fuel screen and mag timing tomorrow. Any other ideas?

Its running smooth but JPI is showing high temps when I try to lean. (I forgot to download data before heading home)

Engine is io520BB with gami injectors in Bonanza, any help is appreciated.

I am so glad I do not have a JPI. I wonder how many mid-airs are going to result by pilots staring inside the cockpit instead of outside. In any case I have an IO-520A and fly high enough that I can't get over 60% power. I lean to point of rougness and then enrich to just smoothness and my CHTs are where they always have been. However, I climb about 200 degrees ROP. You can cool CHTs by running LOP or ROP. One thing is that above 10,000' my CHTs run higher but still under redline. Maybe you are flying higher than before.

So glad to not have an engine monitor? Umm..ok.

Mine turned out to be an induction leak. I would have never known.

Back