How can I get a local phone number on my foreign cell phone

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My phone was stolen when I was in Santiago Chile. I went to a cellular store there and bought a Nokia Note 2.2 with a Chilean phone number (+59 . . . )

When I got home, I bought a new phone and had my old number restored.

Now I have a this Nokia phone with a relatively useless phone number, and the prepaid sim is out of minutes and data anyway.

How can I get a local USA (+1) number without signing a contract. I also plan to use this phone for future international travel (if THAT ever happens again). How will that work? Can I get a prepaid card and local number in other countries?

Visible.com if the phone is compatible. I’m paying $25 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data. Zero complaints from me.

I only thought you needed to sign a contract if you bought or received a phone from the provider at a discount. That's their way of making sure you pay off the phone. Not the case in your situation.

Visible.com if the phone is compatible. I’m paying $25 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data. Zero complaints from me.
Like he said. If the phone is compatible, it is as easy as a SIM change. My kids have done that multiple times in their travels and work abroad. AFAIK you can get a prepaid plan from
any of the providers. I am partial to T-Mobile myself. They offer a nice discount to Military and Veterans.

The only thing you have to worry about is the compatibility of phone(GSM) to the network you are trying to use. Otherwise, just pop in a new SIM card(with your choice of the network) and you are done. It can be either prepaid or post paid. As far as I know, contracts are pretty much the thing of the past in the US. T-Mo and ATT and their respective MVNOs are your best bets at compatibility(GSM).

EDIT: If you only want to use it for international travel, then you can just buy a local SIM wherever you go. Make sure you charge that phone every now and then because the battery will go dead if you let it fully discharge.

Back