No more IPCs for me...

Which manual are you referring to? The "Instruction Manual" I was linked to by the salesman originally is here: https://files.redbirdflight.net/hubfs/Redbird TDTD2 User Guide-v6.pdf Obviously those page 23/24 are not what you are referring to.

My unit did not come with a manual in hard copy. There seem to be two manuals accessible from the home page. One of them I can't get to load. The other one doesn't seem to be what you are looking at.

Edit: The pdf finally loaded in the TD2 and I searched around and eventually found the password. I had read the user guide online but not the other guide inside the TD2. My plan was just to turn it on, test out the equipment, and turn it off. I hadn't had time to dig into the additional literature. It's also kind of difficult to read the pdf on the TD2 because the acrylic panel kind of blocks your view of half the screen.

Last edited:
Which manual are you referring to? The "Instruction Manual" I was linked to by the salesman originally is here: https://files.redbirdflight.net/hubfs/Redbird TDTD2 User Guide-v6.pdf Obviously those page 23/24 are not what you are referring to.

My unit did not come with a manual in hard copy. There seem to be two manuals accessible from the home page. One of them I can't get to load. The other one doesn't seem to be what you are looking at.

Redbird Navigator User Guide. I will try to attach it here.

Nope... Too big. However, Google found the online version.

https://support.redbirdflight.com/navigator-user-guide

Thanks, I appreciate the link to the navigator user guide... much easier than reading it on the TD2. Also, now that I have the password I should be good to go. I still need to calibrate my equipment but I don't think that's a big deal. Also, I do not have a pilot key so I guess I cannot log in.

Thanks, I appreciate the link to the navigator user guide... much easier than reading it on the TD2. Also, now that I have the password I should be good to go. I still need to calibrate my equipment but I don't think that's a big deal. Also, I do not have a pilot key so I guess I cannot log in.

One of the links on the last link I gave you takes you to "Create and Edit User Account User Guide" so you can create your pilot key. Copy the key to a thumb drive and plug it into the CPU. Leave it in there and you can login using your PIN. The primary reason for this is to be able to "Debrief" your flights online. You can also export them to a CloudAhoy or ForeFlight account if you want.

Your stuff should already be calibrated, although for some reason they REALLY like to have the rudders hypersensitive. I turned them WAYYYYY down (to like 20) to make them more realistic.

Well the monitor is working great but I can't SHUT THE UNIT DOWN without a password???

I got a table from IKEA haha. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/gerton-oddvald-table-beech-black-s29870932/

The table does not actually attach to the legs, but gravity seems sufficient. You need special oil (sold separately) to treat the bamboo table which is a bit of a pain in the arse, but I definitely recommend saving hundreds on the table.
Thank you, but... oil? I looked it up and it looks like it's boiled linseed oil, of which I happen to have a small can looking for a purpose. This may work. Do the legs get in the way or the top tend to warp? If it's true butcher block, I'd guess not.

Thank you, but... oil? I looked it up and it looks like it's boiled linseed oil, of which I happen to have a small can looking for a purpose. This may work. Do the legs get in the way or the top tend to warp? If it's true butcher block, I'd guess not.
I haven't had a problem with the legs getting in the way even with the somewhat bulky RD-2 rudder pedals. I've bought a similar tabletop from IKEA a few years ago and haven't noticed any issues with warping or the like. I lined up the yoke with the center of the space between the legs, which makes the most sense. Note that the table is a bit bigger than is needed for the TD/TD2... so if space is limited you may want to try something else.

I am slowly working my way back up to the point where I can competently start exercising the privileges of my CFI-I. After five years of doing little more than the three hours required for primary students, I was a little rusty during my last IPC.

I plan on using my FR to keep me on track and up to speed on the latest developments. As a freelance, it can be difficult to keep abreast on the latest "trends". ;)
I no longer have any excuse to not stay instrument current. Not owning an airplane and having limited reasonable access to rentals, it has been difficult staying current.

In the last two days I have done eight approaches.

Unless you're flying regularly in an airplane, I'd still do an IPC from time to time. First, "flying" a BATD is different from flying an airplane. Second, currency is nice, but the goal is proficiency and that requires time flying a real airplane in IMC. Third, you've got no feedback for improving your techniques, and finally, for what a decked out TD2 costs new, you could have at least 20 IPCs accomplishing all of the above in a real airplane.

The last two houses we built, we put AV conduit up to 60” anywhere there was a cable/electrical outlet. Some of the rooms we put the wall plate in, others we have not and the conduit is capped behind the wall. We also ran romex, but did not terminate it.

Our thoughts were to facilitate future projects.

When our kids built their houses a few years ago they had tubing run in the walls wherever they thought they would be installing a flat screen TV. "Smurf tubes" is what they called them. Probably because they were blue. :p

BTW, as a friend's bumper sticker said years ago, "When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!" Like the OP, I'm instrument rated, but not current, and don't plan on getting current. Getting too old to maintain it. Currency and proficiency are two different things.

It's amazing what these training devices can do. Even more amazing what you can achieve when training in them with a good instructor guiding you through the training, defining the scenarios and helping you evaluate how you did.

I'm a firm believer in regular instruction for recurrent training. Flight Training Devices can be a great tool for that; I do not believe they can be a substitute.

- Martin

Yes. TD2. High Performance and Complex. I also got the "Steam Gauges" panel. (see below)

Absolutely fantastic. I have been on the fence with this for several months. Alex (the salesman) has been very patient answering my questions and playing the "What if?" games with price quotes. Prime example of their dedication to cutomer support: SWMBO decided I also needed their custom table that is designed to handle the weight of the sim but still keep everything in a compact package. It is not cheap but convienience and compatibility were important. Somehow the table got shipped with a piece missing. Since UPS did not deliver it until well after Redbird's support line was closed for the night, it was not until the next morning that I was able to contact them. Early the next morning I had an entirely new table at my front door with instructions to do whatever I wanted with the original. They shipped across the country Next Day Air a 65lb box and did not blink an eye. THAT was not cheap for them...

I also had a performance issue that I caused by connecting to the wrong video port on the computer (onboard vs add-on video card). I called in, answered by a human, and immediately transferred to Rick in tech support who got me up and running and took the opportunity to poke around in my settings to make certain everything was setup correctly.

I did look at another, I do not recall who, but as I recall they were more expensive.
I thought I would follow up six months later to see how you were liking your Redbird TD2 and ask a few more questions:
Are you using the simulator frequently?
Are you still happy with your purchase?
Would you do anything differently?
Yes. TD2. High Performance and Complex. I also got the "Steam Gauges" panel. (see below)

Absolutely fantastic. I have been on the fence with this for several months. Alex (the salesman) has been very patient answering my questions and playing the "What if?" games with price quotes. Prime example of their dedication to cutomer support: SWMBO decided I also needed their custom table that is designed to handle the weight of the sim but still keep everything in a compact package. It is not cheap but convienience and compatibility were important. Somehow the table got shipped with a piece missing. Since UPS did not deliver it until well after Redbird's support line was closed for the night, it was not until the next morning that I was able to contact them. Early the next morning I had an entirely new table at my front door with instructions to do whatever I wanted with the original. They shipped across the country Next Day Air a 65lb box and did not blink an eye. THAT was not cheap for them...

I also had a performance issue that I caused by connecting to the wrong video port on the computer (onboard vs add-on video card). I called in, answered by a human, and immediately transferred to Rick in tech support who got me up and running and took the opportunity to poke around in my settings to make certain everything was setup correctly.

I did look at another, I do not recall who, but as I recall they were more expensive.
Thought I would follow up six months later to see how you liking your Redbird TD2 and ask a few follow up questions?
Are you using the simulator frequently?
Is it truly aiding proficiency?
Would you do anything differently?

I just completed another IPC and am promising myself never to need another one. I do not intend to eliminate future training, only the requirement.

Thanks for any additional information you can provide.

The virus has delayed my decision making, relative to acquiring a simulator, significantly.
I was going to visit the Redbird site at Sun and Fun but obviously that did not happen.

Now with a new IPC and a desire to never need one again I am ready to pull the trigger.

Will probably call Redbird this week and start the process.

Wife is fully onboard (lucky me).

Thanks for the info.

I believe so... That is 55 more approaches than I would have done without the simulator.

P.S. I typically complete two or three (sometimes as many as five) approaches each session. Every approach, with the exception of the final approach for the session, begins 15+ miles outside an IAF, goes through the entire procedure to the MAP, and continues to the hold where I setup for the next approach. The last approach in the session proceeds down to minimums where I usually execute the landing, sometimes circling to the appropriate runway.

Back