Alodine Coating for Aluminum Tubing

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
It’s time to replace some aluminum fuel and hydraulic lines due to wear and neglect over many decades. Is there any reason or downside why I shouldn’t go to the extra step of dipping the lines in an Alodine solution to give them some added measure of protection? Looking for feedback from the many POA experts here!

It’s time to replace some aluminum fuel and hydraulic lines due to wear and neglect over many decades. Is there any reason or downside why I shouldn’t go to the extra step of dipping the lines in an Alodine solution to give them some added measure of protection? Looking for feedback from the many POA experts here!

Those lines are nearly pure aluminum and are not really subject to corrosion. It is the alloys that are more subject to corrosion. That being said, I don't support it hurts other than the waste of time. I have never heard of anyone doing it before, but then I have heard of everything.

It will certainly look odd to most people, (you have asked for downsides, and no denying - many will think it out of place ie commenters & resale value possibly)

Aluminum has a stable corrosion product when it oxidizes that then quite effectively protects the metal from further oxidation.

What sort of "wear" is causing you to have to replace the lines? Mechanical damage?

What sort of "wear" is causing you to have to replace the lines? Mechanical damage?
There was a lot of very poor workmanship at some point in the history of this aircraft - bad flares, poorly routed hydraulic lines, etc. However the critical issue was a few sections of galvanic corrosion due to improperly securing the lines.

Most of the tubing used in fabrication of hydraulic lines are 5052-0 or 6061-0 no treatment needed.

the critical issue was a few sections of galvanic corrosion
If it was actually "galvanic" then alodine will not prevent it. You would need a dissimilar metal barrier to prevent it. But as stated no alodine needed on new lines.

Most of the tubing used in fabrication of hydraulic lines are 5052-0 or 6061-0 no treatment needed.

The common soft tubing you see in GA aircraft for fluid lines is 3003-0.

You can look it up in AC 43.13-1B or do what I did and go to A&P school. Or you can amuse yourself on Aircraft Spruce's website:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/3003versatube.php?clickkey=883675
Hydraulic lines are made IAW with drawings not the 43.13. any of 5052-0/6001-0 are not to be used as pressurized lines.

https://www.flight-mechanic.com/rigid-fluid-lines-tubing-materials-material-identification-sizes/

I was a AMH for 22 years, the hydraulic lines I have made can be measured in miles :)

Since I am not a licensed aircraft mechanic I don't want to get too deeply in the middle of this debate (off topic from my original question). However as an experienced mechanical engineer I was intrigued to learn more about the different aluminum grades. There seems to be quite a bit of credible discussion on the web such as this one: http://mechanicsupport.blogspot.com/2011/01/comparison-of-tube-strength-for-common.html

I do appreciate the feedback on my question "to Alodine or not to Alodine". I am aware that it really isn't necessary because of the inherent properties of aluminum - I was simply wondering if there was any downside and I am certainly aware that it provides no barrier to galvanic corrosion. One of my hydraulic lines did in fact experience galvanic corrosion having come in contract with a wire from a ventilation scat hose. Vibration caused the tubing to wear through the fabric sheath and allowed the aluminum tube to lay in contact with the spiral wire. The galvanic effect eventually sacrificed the aluminum in favor of the steel wire resulting in a pinhole leak and 5606 fluid soaking the belly of the aircraft. I had heard about this kind of problem, but never experienced it firsthand on my aircraft. Now I have and it is a bit of a wake-up call. Fortunately the problem was with a hydraulic line and not a fuel line.

Hydraulic lines are made IAW with drawings not the 43.13. any of 5052-0/6001-0 are not to be used as pressurized lines.

https://www.flight-mechanic.com/rigid-fluid-lines-tubing-materials-material-identification-sizes/

I was a AMH for 22 years, the hydraulic lines I have made can be measured in miles :)

For hydraulic lines you are correct. I should have read the OP more closely. For the standard fuel lines etc, in common light aircraft the 3003 is the common usage. Since the OP seemed to be doing it himself, fabricating from a drawing didn't enter my conscientiousness and I still doubt that is what he was planning.

I was intrigued to learn more about the different aluminum grades.
FYI: if the lines you replaced still had the original colored ID tags/decals installed that stated which system it was part of, the color code of that tag relates to the type material the line was mfg'd from. For example, a tag with a blue/yellow color band indicates 6061 aluminum.

As to any downsides to alodining your new lines, technically there's not. But for the work involved to properly alodine the lines I doubt you'll gain any noticeable advantage over the life of the line. I've alodined in-service aluminum lines as part of a aircraft refurbishment process, but mainly to treat after an abrasive cleaning process plus the aircraft operated in a salt-laden environment.

...Since the OP seemed to be doing it himself, fabricating from a drawing didn't enter my conscientiousness and I still doubt that is what he was planning.
What might seem unusual for a 1960 vintage certificated aircraft is the fact that factory drawings, or a useful service/parts manual does not exist for my model aircraft. I own four of this same model plane and at least one of them contains virtually all of the original parts (including the flexible hoses) from 1960. So no, I am not fabricating from any drawing, but I am trying to replicate the configuration and routing of the various lines, making common sense improvements when appropriate and which conform to 43.13-1B standards. I don't recall seeing any color-coded tags on any of the numerous lines, however I am going to double-check this. As an engineer, the lack of documentation really frustrates me but does not stop me from making good decisions. Diligent research and (usually) good advice from the forums is a tremendous help.

I don't recall seeing any color-coded tags on any of the numerous lines,
The newer tags look like this. Couldn't find pics of older versions. What model aircraft?
7-13-.gif

The newer tags look like this. Couldn't find pics of older versions. What model aircraft?
Interesting... thanks for this info! Plane is a Bellanca Cruisemaster.

Bellanca Cruisemaster....the fact that factory drawings, or a useful service/parts manual does not exist for my model aircraft.
On the drawings, have you tried contacting the National Air and Space Museum Archives to see if they have copies? Their collection on Giuseppe Bellanca is rather large and includes "drawings." The archive people may either be able to provide copies or perhaps know of some others? Great group of people. Here's a couple links. Hit the "contents" button in the 1st link for more detail. The 2nd link is a PDF version of the 1st link.
https://sova.si.edu/record/NASM.1993.0055
https://sirismm.si.edu/EADpdfs/NASM.1993.0055.pdf

On the drawings, have you tried contacting the National Air and Space Museum Archives to see if they have copies?
Yes, I have been in contact with them over the years. Giuseppe sold the company in the mid-50's and what information the NASM has relates mainly to the older models - valuable information for sure. The later Cruisemaster type certificate and assets were not part of the package donated to the NASM. These newer assets, drawings included, still exist with a surviving organization operated by a couple of old-timers that have been extremely helpful to myself and other owners. They stock various spare parts and have quite a collection of drawings. However there is a fundamental problem: every Bellanca built was handmade and slightly different. Drawings for many parts simply never existed, or the actual parts used on any specific ship did not conform to whatever documentation might have existed at the time. Many component parts were acquired as war surplus or from whatever source happened to be available with what little cash the company had. Then there is the fact that most every aircraft built in the decades of the 50's & 60's has been modified or hacked up by a succession of mechanics or owners that did whatever they wanted to do, and for the most part without documenting these changes. For those accustomed to the detailed documentation produced by the likes of Cessna, Beech, Piper and other manufacturers, many would wonder how a production aircraft could exist - or be certified - lacking these resources. Bottom line is that we love these machines, but keeping them in first class condition is challenging.

has any tried duplicate the line?

has any tried duplicate the line?
I am examining the size and layout of the hydraulic lines in all four of my aircraft (all four are the same model and vintage). All four are different, however I am using my best judgment on the correct fabrication and routing of these lines. Actually they are all 3/16 tubing, so that's one common factor... surprise!

I am examining the size and layout of the hydraulic lines in all four of my aircraft (all four are the same model and vintage). All four are different, however I am using my best judgment on the correct fabrication and routing of these lines. Actually they are all 3/16 tubing, so that's one common factor... surprise!
creating a new line should not be a problem.

Back