A Corona Sim-Challenge - Fly when you’re grounded

wayneda40

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
waynemcc

Many of us are currently sheltering-in-place, but that doesn’t mean we can’t be doing some zero-risk flying, keeping our skills sharp, and maybe even generating some entertainment value. All it takes is a modest home simulator and the desire to e-travel.

This short video is a challenge derived from “World’s Most Dangerous Airports” on Stefan Drury’s excellent YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG1HLA8IEqZ09_C_7u5tUjQ

On this low-production-value video I kick it off, rather imperfectly, with visual approaches to two challenging Caribbean airports, St. Barthélemy (TFFJ) and Saba (TNCS). What airports have been challenging to you in the past or are on your wishlist? Post your thoughts… or better yet, fly a visual or instrument approach on your home simulator, capture a quick video (in X-Plane… File, Toggle Video Recording), and post the link here to your video. Ping me here if I can address any logistics questions.

Thoughts, questions, and suggestions? I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for your insight and enjoy the video! Wayne, the GeezerGeek Pilot

Excellent, Wayne. Good post. Gold Seal has a live stream scheduled on April 1 about using sims while quarantined. A couple of high-profile guests are on the docket.

Excellent, Wayne. Good post. Gold Seal has a live stream scheduled on April 1 about using sims while quarantined. A couple of high-profile guests are on the docket.
Thanks for watching. I like the Gold Seal stuff and will check out the April 1 event.
Thanks,
Wayne

Are we grounded?
I'm flying again this week, weather permitting.
Had a great flight last Thursday.

I may rejoin Pilot Edge and work on my instrument communication and skills. It’s a live person and simulation so it’s helpful. I may try these approaches as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are we grounded?
I'm flying again this week, weather permitting.
Had a great flight last Thursday.
Shepherd, assuming it's in one's own aircraft (not a rental or club plane) and you fly solo or with people with whom you cohabitate anyway, then I personally consider that pretty low risk (you could still have a mechanical somewhere)... and indeed I flew IRL last week with my wife in our DA40.
Wayne

I may rejoin Pilot Edge and work on my instrument communication and skills. It’s a live person and simulation so it’s helpful. I may try these approaches as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a big fan of PilotEdge!... real person ATC that runs with all the leading sim systems. Provides an unbelievable feeling of "real", including the adrenaline rush. Another nice part of PilotEdge.net is that you can suspend your monthly subscription (e.g. for many months) and then resume and it's immediately ready to go.

So far everything is still open here. Flew today, lately all I've been doing lately is touch and goes. I wanted to take the wife to Sitka for lunch, that trip did not happen for obvious reasons.

Shepherd, assuming it's in one's own aircraft (not a rental or club plane) and you fly solo or with people with whom you cohabitate anyway, then I personally consider that pretty low risk (you could still have a mechanical somewhere)... and indeed I flew IRL last week with my wife in our DA40.
Wayne

I fly 82 year old rental Cubs out of a private airport.
Imagine the condition they are in.
Nope, worse.
No, a little more worse than that.
Two weeks ago I lost a spark plug and parts started separating off the right wing on the plane I was flying.
Just another day in the office.
Flying Cubs in the Berkshires in the dead of winter with no heat, no electrical system, and doors that don't close is not for the faint of heart.
I'm the only person who rents them all winter.
COVID-19 is the least of my problems.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Flying Cubs in the Berkshires in the dead of winter with no heat, no electrical system, and doors that don't close is not for the faint of heart.
I'm the only person who rents them all winter.
COVID-19 is the least of my problems.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Wow, indeed, not for the faint of heart. Be safe... and warm.

Cool idea! I have vr and xplane. I actually bought a pay ware Saba and St Baarts scenery pack a while ago. Have to dust those off tomorrow during a work from home break.

Cool idea! I have vr and xplane. I actually bought a pay ware Saba and St Baarts scenery pack a while ago. Have to dust those off tomorrow during a work from home break.
Deelee, gotta love the work-from-home breaks :)! Secret at Saba is a slow plane (C172 or slower) -- or dial up the headwind -- with the 994' runway.

Back