No air traffic over southern OH?

donjohnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Don
I was wondering what effect Covid-19 was having on air traffic. Pulled up FlightRadar24 and there's still a lot of traffic. But there's a huge hole over southern OH, western WV and northeast KY.

What's up with that?

upload_2020-3-20_15-50-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-20_15-50-14.png
    upload_2020-3-20_15-50-14.png
    813.1 KB · Views: 15
Indy Center is ATC Zero thanks to the coronavirus. All traffic that isn't landing/departing there is being re-routed around.

From FAA's ATCSCC:

ZLA WILL ASSUME LAS VEGAS AIRSPACE FROM 07Z-12Z TONIGHT. THE ARRIVAL RATE
WILL BE 5. WE CONTINUE TO WATCH LAS DEMAND AND CANCELLATIONS 06Z AND
BEYOND FOR THE NEED TO DO A REVISION. ZID WILL BE ATC ZERO FROM 07Z-09Z
TONIGHT IN ORDER TO DO A FACILITY CLEANING. EXPECT TRAFFIC DURING THAT
TIME TO BE TOWER EN ROUTE AT LOW LEVEL. EXPECT THE ICR AND SUPPORTING
ROUTES TO BE EXTENDED. ZID ADVISES THAT THEIR IMPACTED SECTORS WILL REMAIN
CLOSED UNTIL 1000Z ON MARCH 27TH. THERE WILL BE 0915Z AND 0315Z PLANNING
TELCONS STARTING TONIGHT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

I have to ask, with states ordering everyone to shelter in place at home and businesses, factories, and more all shut down completely, and no one going to work or the store, US, airports are open, it would seem that this is a good way to infect more people, why are they not shut down like everything else if you want to keep a distance from others, oh politics and money I would guess

I have to ask, with states ordering everyone to shelter in place at home and businesses, factories, and more all shut down completely, and no one going to work or the store

That is not actually the case, “orders” in those areas you’ve described are analogous to “mandatory” service bulletins issued by aircraft manufacturers. Both are worthy of consideration, and in general neither have force of law in the US. I drove solo to and from work today in one of those areas, traffic was pleasantly reduced, and I spent the day as always in relative isolation at my office. We’re not yet being treated like children under martial law.

Last edited:
This kind of blanket order really can only apply to businesses. To quarantine individuals, the rules are a lot more restrictive and there are both due process requirements and significant limitations.

I have to ask, with states ordering everyone to shelter in place at home and businesses, factories, and more all shut down completely, and no one going to work or the store, US, airports are open, it would seem that this is a good way to infect more people, why are they not shut down like everything else if you want to keep a distance from others, oh politics and money I would guess

air travel is the reason Coronavirus has spread. Flight from China never stopped. Only American and green card holder were coming back. But back from a place the infection quickly got out of control. Flight from Europe still coming in. Then from the international airports on to domestic flights. And there you have it, the world is infected.

hope the next time they just lock out all travel to the source country, even if Americans are there. They will have to tough it out.

I guess it depends on how much you want to chip in for the bailouts. We'll be in it for a trillion before this is over.

The Brush Creek and Buckeye MOAs hot?
A lot of folks avoid them, regardless, but I've never seen such a 'hole' and I look once or twice a day. (Having been based at LUK, I've flown through them hundreds of times.)

There are a lot of businesses still open, regardless of these State “orders”. They’re called Essential Critcal Infrastructure:

A85297C6-EB2D-4B60-B404-D7AE103F1D98.png

The Brush Creek and Buckeye MOAs hot?

Nope. Three areas of Indy Center are ATC Zero.

I heard that New York Center went ATC Zero a couple of hours ago, but it'll probably take some time before the airborne traffic is all down/rerouted.

Yikes.

Not all of it, but the eastern part of it. Anything en route above FL230 is being rerouted. FL230 and below is being handled TEC.

TEC? Help make me smarter -what would that be?

Back