Kennry Rogers has passed

He finally escaped Ruby. If you don’t pick up on that, ask a Veteran of the sixties.

Rest In Peace Kenny.

Sad day... he was indeed a great musician.

We have recordings of his dated the 1970's, all favorites. Yes they are 8 tracks. :)

My friend Dolan Ellis, who since 1966 has been the "Official Balladeer" of the State of Arizona, was an original member of the folk group The New Christy Minstrels. He was listening to a jazz trio in the cocktail lounge of a Houston hotel, when the trio's bass player sang a solo number. Dolan was so impressed with the guy's voice that he phoned NCM founder Randy Sparks to recommend him for an open spot in the group. Two weeks later Kenny Rogers was on stage with The New Christy Minstrels.

In 1967 Rogers, along with Terry Williams, Mike Settle and Thelma Camacho, left NCM to form the First Edition.

I just a couple months back played the gambler for my kids (now 10 and 12) and they request it a lot.
When I was a little kid growing up in Oklahoma, KR was the first musician I ever heard of. Michael Jackson was the 2nd.
I don't like country music but KR is so nostalgic for me that this makes me sad.

It was weird to tell the kids "You know that guy we started listening to recently? He passed away"

I hadn't listened to KR in probably 30 years but my kids and I listening to the gambler and me thinking about the lyrics as an adult, I was thinking this is really deep lyrically.
The whole metaphor is really brilliant.

At any rate. It's sad but 81 is a pretty sweet spot to check out. Looks like he was able to work until close to the end.

RIP Gambler.

In 1967 Rogers, along with Terry Williams, Mike Settle and Thelma Camacho, left NCM to form the First Edition.

yeah, I wonder how many people know/remember that Kenny got his start in the psychedelic rock scene. This is a great old tune!

The words of The Gambler had meaning for me back when I was younger and deciding whether or not to quit a job.

So did you hold ‘em or fold ‘em?
Mostly walked away, which was my inclination in the first few years of my career.

Actually, all the way through my career, up to the final "walk away".

Last edited:
I've found I liked many of hits that I didn't know were his.

Also, I miss Kenny Roger's Roasters. It was really good.

RIP

Back