Coronavirus hysteria is hurting every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
so here’s an idea...how about quarantine everyone with underlying health conditions and over a certain age, and let the rest of us go back to normal? Add in a few PSA’s about hygiene. This is what Switzerland did.
Really? I have a good friend in Basel right now and he just sent me pictures of empty streets.

Folks, take a look at this website. One can scroll down and see a lot of data and charts. The log scale of new cases is an interesting one to watch. It will allow you to see the rate of new cases. When the curve bends over, we are on the backside of the bell curve the drs talk about.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Also, by looking at China and S. Korea data linked at the bottom, one can see they turned the corner at about the 4-6 week point.
The chart I keep looking at is the "New Cases vs New Recoveries". Because of the time gap between infection and full recovery, we haven't started seeing the recovery curve climb, yet. In the next couple days that should start to show a change.

I always said that if the 9/11 terrorists were smarter, they'd have interrupted our supply of caffeine, and we'd have all killed each other!

I have often said that the jihadists should just work on a chemical that they could put in the water supply to neutralize caffeine. The economy would collapse and they could take over.

One problem is that the longer we wait, the more expensive the solution becomes. I'm betting that the Italians are wishing that their lockdowns had been implemented sooner:

Italy’s reported coronavirus death toll grew to more than 4,000 on Friday, outpacing China, a country with more than 20 times its population. The Italian health care system is now buckling under the weight of the pandemic. Health care professionals are working day and night to keep critically ill Covid-19 patients alive, while wartime triage conditions have left doctors to decide who lives and who dies. The crematorium in the hard-hit city of Bergamo is so overwhelmed that the army was brought in to deal with the corpses.
https://theintercept.com/2020/03/20/us-coronavirus-outbreak-italy/
You can easily look back. And if you do, you'll notice differences including the "private" health care system in the US and the "public" system in Italy.

As a culture, the Italians are different that the US in the way the obey laws (including the payment of taxes) & handle crisis, so it's really not an apples-apples comparison.

My comment was really about those that don't care if we destroy the economy (completely) because "you can't have an economy if you don't have people".

Folks, take a look at this website. One can scroll down and see a lot of data and charts. The log scale of new cases is an interesting one to watch. It will allow you to see the rate of new cases. When the curve bends over, we are on the backside of the bell curve the drs talk about.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Also, by looking at China and S. Korea data linked at the bottom, one can see they turned the corner at about the 4-6 week point.

Keep in mind that the US is not really testing right now - a situation that will become worse as a few states have now given up the majority of their testing because of a lack of Personal Protection gear.

So the only real correct stat we have is number of deaths, which is unfortunate because that rate trails around 4 to 5 weeks behind whatever sociological changes we make.

So we’re fighting in the blind here.

Keep in mind that the US is not really testing right now - a situation that will become worse as a few states have now given up the majority of their testing because of a lack of Personal Protection gear.

So the only real correct stat we have is number of deaths, which is unfortunate because that rate trails around 4 to 5 weeks behind whatever sociological changes we make.

So we’re fighting in the blind here.

Agree, but the day over day the last two days went from approximately 1700 to 1000 new cases. So a slight change in the rate. Need to see a decreasing trend for several days to know if we might be turning the corner. Looking at S. Korea data, it appears that we may not see that corner for real for another couple of weeks. But let’s wait and see.

Costco here is back in business with most items available with limit of buying one per card. And wait for it

Yes they have TP too

Same with Sams club here. Almost normal. TP still selling out, but was a few around. Bleach is plentiful again.
The meat section is sparse though, except the high dollar stuff...which will probably spoil at $16 lb.

I guess I should have gone shopping today. Just got word our county is going on lockdown. Details tomorrow.

So here’s what Illinois looks like. How about they use the data of where it’s at. For instance, I’d be fine with shutting down Chicago and the collar counties and not letting people travel out/in there. But seriously, leave the rest of the state alone.

upload_2020-3-21_20-16-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-21_20-16-14.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-21_20-16-14.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 17
You can easily look back. And if you do, you'll notice differences including the "private" health care system in the US and the "public" system in Italy.

As a culture, the Italians are different that the US in the way the obey laws (including the payment of taxes) & handle crisis, so it's really not an apples-apples comparison.

My comment was really about those that don't care if we destroy the economy (completely) because "you can't have an economy if you don't have people".
Well, I guess there are arguments to support either view. My crystal ball isn't good enough to predict which is right.

Overnight, the number of infected people in the US increased by 11,000, about a 5-% increase.

All in New York.

They are testing more people now that the tasting kits are available.

Wait till California gets theirs!

Take heed people. Personally, I like the "small circle" aspect! (har!!!)

It’s not always better to love the one you’re self-isolating with.

The New York Department of Health issued guidance Saturday on ways to stay COVID-19-free when the birds and bees beckon amid the coronavirus pandemic.

First and foremost: self love is the best — and least dangerous — kind of love.

“You are your safest sex partner,” the document reads. “Masturbation will not spread COVID-19, especially if you wash your hands (and any sex toys) with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after.”

But the agency did not entirely throw cold water on the idea of bumping uglies with another virus-free human.

“The next safest partner is someone you live with,” officials offered. “Having close contact– including sex — with a small circle of people helps prevent spreading COVID-19.

“Having close contact– including sex — with a small circle of people helps prevent spreading COVID-19.”

I need to show that quote to my wife. Maybe she’ll become a bit more open minded....

:devil:

and it's notable that there's no mention of one at a time.

“The next safest partner is someone you live with,” officials offered. “Having close contact– including sex — with a small circle of people helps prevent spreading COVID-19.

Hmmm.... would think this would be helpful with the "herd immunity" aspect.

"Yes, Young People Are Falling Seriously Ill From Covid-19
In the U.S., 705 of first 2,500 cases range in age from 20 to 44."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ng-people-is-it-dangerous-data-show-it-can-be

I don't doubt that there will be fewer deaths among the younger groups, however.

Correct. People are starting to realize that younger folks are only statistically better off. There is still a significant chance of getting a severe case even if you're under 50.

Correct. People are starting to realize that younger folks are only statistically better off. There is still a significant chance of getting a severe case even if you're under 50.
I was just talking about this the yesterday. I wonder if the prevalence of the younger crowd to be vaping at a high rate here in the US is going to affect their outcomes if they contract this virus.

I was just talking about this the yesterday. I wonder if the prevalence of the younger crowd to be vaping at a high rate here in the US is going to affect their outcomes if they contract this virus.
Good question, and I don't know the answer.

I was thinking about that myself. All those cases they were talking about a few months ago with severe lung damage from vaping... Those are gonna be the ones that SARS-COV-2 kills. It sounds like those who are dying in China are often the ones who smoke.

I'm surprised they didn't talk about which positions were least likely to transmit the virus! :rofl:

I am perplexed by the low death rate here in Germany. Germans still smoke like chimneys. Surprised that the rate isn't higher due to that.

I am perplexed by the low death rate here in Germany. Germans still smoke like chimneys. Surprised that the rate isn't higher due to that.
Dying from this is "nicht möglich."

I did see that Angie said that there is going to be a €25,000 fine if you are caught breaking the social distancing rules and that they are indeed "rules and not suggestions."

Obviously due to the inspirational words of the German chancellor:

“There has been no such challenge to our country since German reunification – no, not since the Second World War II – that relies so heavily on us all working together in solidarity.”

Press conference going on in KC right now. 30 day “stay at home order” starts Tuesday, I’m waiting to hear how it will be enforced.

We have 63 days until we are supposed to pack up the house. I sure hope these bans work quickly.

We have 63 days until we are supposed to pack up the house. I sure hope these bans work quickly.
Well, four months for China in the hot spots and only now are starting to slowly lift quarantines.

Tim

Press conference going on in KC right now. 30 day “stay at home order” starts Tuesday, I’m waiting to hear how it will be enforced.
Self enforcement, otherwise it’s a code violation for companies that stay open or threaten employees with reprisals if they don’t come in to work at a place that shouldn’t be open.

I have spent a good bit of time in Germany in my life and even lived there for two years. Yes, they smoke like crazy over there even now. There is another characteristic of the German people that I expect is working in their favor. They are generally a rule following, law abiding people. I think maybe they are quicker to follow instructions about this than many other societies. I might not be right, but I just suspect that to be the case.

Interesting video from a guy in China. He discusses how foreigners are being treated and how the government handles the situation. Holy smokes! :eek:
He also bets that there will be a second outbreak. I think he has a point:

I have spent a good bit of time in Germany in my life and even lived there for two years. Yes, they smoke like crazy over there even now. There is another characteristic of the German people that I expect is working in their favor. They are generally a rule following, law abiding people. I think maybe they are quicker to follow instructions about this than many other societies. I might not be right, but I just suspect that to be the case.
They are good at following rules....I’ll give you that.

Interesting video from a guy in China. He also bets that there will be a second outbreak. I think he has a point:

I think the concern of this appearing in a series of waves has been there all along. At least among the academics. That is what happened in the 1918 flu, and it went on for close to two years.

Ohio shuts down tonight at midnight. It won't make much difference, as the governor was early in getting the word out and putting some restrictions. We hunkered down 'cuz we know the numbers, and they ain't pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back