FAA response to shutdown on Annuals other calendar items

patrick wentworth

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Patrick
I haven’t seen much yet on calendar based items like annuals. California is down for the count regarding mechanics and shops. Likely there will be a bunch of out of annual planes shortly. Any news on this and other calendar based fronts?

I wouldn’t be opposed to getting an extension on the annual,and IFR currency wouldn’t be bad either.

This is from our local "notification": Individuals working in "Critical Infrastructure Sectors" as defined by the federal government may continue work. This includes healthcare, energy, transportation, water and waste management, and more.

I hope the shops follow this following Critical Infrastructure Sectors guidance: https://www.cisa.gov/transportation-systems-sector I cleverly misread the inspection interval of two ADs as 12 calendar months vs. 12 months and it's been down since 3-4 with an annual scheduled 4-6. D'oh.

This is from our local "notification": Individuals working in "Critical Infrastructure Sectors" as defined by the federal government may continue work. This includes healthcare, energy, transportation, water and waste management, and more.

I hope the shops follow this following Critical Infrastructure Sectors guidance: https://www.cisa.gov/transportation-systems-sector I cleverly misread the inspection interval of two ADs as 12 calendar months vs. 12 months and it's been down since 3-4 with an annual scheduled 4-6. D'oh.
I doubt this applies to part 91 aircraft.

I doubt this applies to part 91 aircraft.
https://www.cisa.gov/transportation-systems-sector says:
Aviation includes aircraft, air traffic control systems, and about 19,700 airports, heliports, and landing strips. Approximately 500 provide commercial aviation services at civil and joint-use military airports, heliports, and sea plane bases. In addition, the aviation mode includes commercial and recreational aircraft (manned and unmanned) and a wide-variety of support services, such as aircraft repair stations, fueling facilities, navigation aids, and flight schools.

Just try and get a flight review now anywhere in NY state. I've been trying to schedule an IPC and flight review in anticipation of expiration and between weather and the viral outbreak I've been SOL. I've got a couple of months cushion on the flight review. Would be nice to get the IPC.

Yes, that very website that you cited is where it says recreational aircraft (manned and unmanned) and a wide-variety of support services, such as aircraft repair stations, fueling facilities, navigation aids, and flight schools.
View attachment 83785
Do you believe any of these references apply now?

I haven’t seen much yet on calendar based items like annuals. California is down for the count regarding mechanics and shops. Likely there will be a bunch of out of annual planes shortly. Any news on this and other calendar based fronts?
Lots of things are being worked on as we speak.

Completely irrelevant to regulations under Title 14. Any relief from the regulations will come from the FAA.

safe distance doesn't mean anything to you ? I wonder why the highways are vacant?
Highways aren't completely vacant. Gas stations are still operating. Auto repair shops are still operating. Signal lights are still operating. If those can still go on, then I would imagine aircraft repair can still operate, avgas can still flow and navaids will still work.

Highways aren't completely vacant. Gas stations are still operating. Auto repair shops are still operating. Signal lights are still operating. If those can still go on, then I would imagine aircraft repair can still operate, avgas can still flow and navaids will still work.

Essential services doesn't mean anything to you.

So are you saying that you are free to effect others with COVID-19, or you don't care who you infect?

Essential services doesn't mean anything to you.

So are you saying that you are free to effect others with COVID-19, or you don't care who you infect?
No I am not. I'm saying that the governors so far have not placed restrictions on aircraft/auto repair because they are considered critical infrastructure. Yet.

However, if a shop decides to shut down on its own then they still can. If you have a vehicle that needs service but elect to defer, you can do that too.

No I am not. I'm saying that the governors so far have not placed restrictions on aircraft/auto repair because they are considered critical infrastructure. Yet.

However, if a shop decides to shut down on its own then they still can. If you have a vehicle that needs service but elect to defer, you can do that too.
how can you do that and still comply?

one man shops maybe working in your hangar.

No martial law has been declared in any area of the US, and as far I’m concerned nothing less than martial law has clear authority to legally restrict people’s movements. Until martial law is declared I would expect (and even hope, since it would be silly) that FAA do precisely nothing to provide ‘relief’ for those who can’t keep up on flight reviews, aircraft maintenance etc. Lots of things are inconvenient in certain periods, it doesn’t mean we need government to adjust every law in real time.

Until martial law is declared I would expect (and even hope, since it would be silly) that FAA do precisely nothing to provide ‘relief’ for those who can’t keep up on flight reviews, aircraft maintenance etc.

Total red herring.

Right now I'm not going to share the air in a tiny cabin with anyone who doesn't live with me, and that has nothing to do with martial law, martian invasions, or any other imaginary thing. It has to do with wanting not to get infected, and wanting not to get somebody else infected.

And that’s your choice, do what you want or must.

My flying rarely involves flying with passengers with whom I don’t have sex, and my aircraft maintenance involves working in a large hangar, one for which only I have the key. It involves at most one other person, who is a personal friend as well as an A&P IA. The same guy is the CFI with whom most of my Flight Reviews have been done.

one man shops maybe working in your hangar.
my avionics shop just verified they can stay open from . now how they will comply with 2 people inside a cessna cabin 6 ft apart is a different story

Some imagination, creative solutions and a can-do attitude. And/or limiting the scope of work that will be accepted.

Some imagination, creative solutions and a can-do attitude. And/or limiting the scope of work that will be accepted.
Most states are in stay in place required, I guess you won't comply for the safety others.

Most states are in stay in place required, I guess you won't comply for the safety others.
Essential services are exceptions to the shelter-in-place order. Auto repair and aircraft repair (including part 91) are defined as essential by the DHS.

No martial law has been declared in any area of the US, and as far I’m concerned nothing less than martial law has clear authority to legally restrict people’s movements. Until martial law is declared I would expect (and even hope, since it would be silly) that FAA do precisely nothing to provide ‘relief’ for those who can’t keep up on flight reviews, aircraft maintenance etc. Lots of things are inconvenient in certain periods, it doesn’t mean we need government to adjust every law in real time.
Maintaining your medical certificate means using healthcare resources, something that will likely be in short supply as numbers continue to increase.

My medical is good for another few years and my BFR is current til the end of July, so I’m not too worried about that part... let’s just hope this chaos doesn’t extend that long.

My medical is good for another few years and my BFR is current til the end of July, so I’m not too worried about that part... let’s just hope this chaos doesn’t extend that long.
Maybe they'll allow a remote-BFR by July. :)

Since we are a Shelter in Place county / state it seems the mechanics here put their lives over my dear 172 (good call from my perspective).
No matter your personal persuasion on the virus the risk reward in the minds of these folks is theirs to call. Bottom line, a lot of services will be in short supply and this is a time that has significant departure from the norm. That and we are down 2 shops that work on recip due to retirement ... we are running out of those with the skill sets. Arg.

Nope, I will use my common sense and my personal judgment to guide me thru this so called “crisis”
I will avoid crowds of people and situations where I can be exposed to this particular or any other virus , but on the other hand I will not stay home just because somebody said so and will go about my business as best as I can.

Nope, I will use my common sense and my personal judgment to guide me thru this so called “crisis”
I will avoid crowds of people and situations where I can be exposed to this particular or any other virus , but on the other hand I will not stay home just because somebody said so and will go about my business as best as I can.

Common sense says you're wrong.
number of sick prove it.

Who will you blame if one if your dear one gets sick?

Common sense says you're wrong.
number of sick prove it.

Who will you blame if one if your dear one gets sick?

None of your business really ... besides, I am a lot more invested in making sure that my loved ones are safe than you , and frankly any governor or other officials , ever will be.

For the record there ARE part 91 guys doing more than recreational flying. I've got one semi-critical contract and guys like pipeline inspections need to keep monitoring - probably more-so in uncertain times than not.

Figures! to hell with every one else.

My suggestion ... cut these idiotic attempts at virtue signaling , instead of worrying about others keep taking care of yourself and your loved ones and given that great majority of others will very likely do the same, things will work out just right.

Last edited:
Back