Coronavirus hysteria is hurting every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
If you mean his point about the signature lines, we decided a long time ago not to police them unless they are way over the top. Too much work. You can hide signature lines as an option in your settings if they bother you so much.

Never said they bothered me, merely that he had a point. Thanks for letting us know why they're (at least sometimes) allowed to slide.

Political Correctness is out of control and has been for a long time, but I find it amazing that when we are in a situation like this with people dying, someone can consider it so important as to how we name the disease. Unbelievable. No matter what you call it, it is what it is.

Sorry, but some guys need to grow a pair.

:rofl:

So calling it "Chinese Flu" makes one more manly? :rofl:

I don't care what you call it. I'm merely telling you that if you call it "Chinese Flu" you sound like a bigot. Do whatever you want.

Depends on usage. Every one of the people on the team are a member of everyone.

So, if we to allowed to use Cheeto-head now, is Obummer still out? Keynan Kowboy? BoBo the Clown?

YOU ARE SO WRONG!!!!! Everyone knows it's BOZO the Clown!

So calling it "Chinese Flu" makes one more manly? :rofl:

I don't care what you call it. I'm merely telling you that if you call it "Chinese Flu" you sound like a bigot. Do whatever you want.[/QUOTE]

That is about as silly as anything I ever read. Being so sensitive that crying over what something is called is what makes one unmanly to use your terms.

I’m of German descent. Does calling the German Measles German Measles make it bigoted toward me?

It’s this kind of nonsense that makes Political Correctness so stupid. If you would have had to be in the Army when I was, you would have either had that silliness removed or you would still be in the low crawl pit.

Anyone who’s feelings are hurt by such silliness needs sensitivity therapy.

Last edited:

It’s this kind of nonsense that makes Political Correctness so stupid.

Anyone who’s feelings are hurt by such silliness needs sensitivity therapy.
It doesn't hurt my feelings if someone wants to use language that certain groups might be offended by. But their choice to use such language will likely inform my opinion of them. Don't read more into it than what's being said.

You need to understand that I have no tolerance for racial slurs. Never have. It’s the silly political correctness that makes me mad. An example; in the late seventies I worked with a Japanese American. He was a great guy and we were good friends. He referred to himself as “Oriental.” I went for years assuming that Oriental was the right term to use. In about 2005 I again worked for a California company and when I used the term in conversation, not in the presence of someone with such heritage thank goodness, one of the people hearing me was horrified and quickly corrected me to use the term Asian. I meant no disrespect of any kind to anyone. I immediately started using the requested term, but I still don’t understand why someone would get wrapped around the axle over such a thing. It seems to me that some people just like having a chip on their shoulder.

Having grown up in Texas, I have always been disgusted by the N word. When I was a kid it was one of those words that was not always because of the word itself, but about how it was used and the tone used.

You need to understand that I have no tolerance for racial slurs. Never have. It’s the silly political correctness that makes me mad. An example; in the late seventies I worked with a Japanese American. He was a great guy and we were good friends. He referred to himself as “Oriental.” I went for years assuming that Oriental was the right term to use. In about 2005 I again worked for a California company and when I used the term in conversation, not in the presence of someone with such heritage thank goodness, one of the people hearing me was horrified and quickly corrected me to use the term Asian. I meant no disrespect of any kind to anyone. I immediately started using the requested term, but I still don’t understand why someone would get wrapped around the axle over such a thing. It seems to me that some people just like having a chip on their shoulder.

Having grown up in Texas, I have always been disgusted by the N word. When I was a kid it was one of those words that was not always because of the word itself, but about how it was used and the tone used.
Context is everything. Yes, people should have thicker skins, but other people should not deliberately use terms just to be annoying, or to brand themselves as part of a tribe who think in a certain way. Both sides do this. Not saying that you did this deliberately, but others here on this board did.

As far as "oriental" goes, I thought it was strange when brands of ramen noodles recently (within the past year) changed their named flavor from "oriental" to "soy sauce". Suddenly it dawned on me why. I come from Japanese ancestry, but I consider myself an American only.

Yes, my ex-mother-in-law is Japanese and refers to herself as Oriental, too. It never was a derogatory term. People were looking for things to be offended by and figured that was a good target. So, arbitrarily, Oriental became Asian. Oriental simply means people from the "orient", a geographical area. Now we have to use a broader and less meaningful term. It's silly.

Yes, my ex-mother-in-law is Japanese and refers to herself as Oriental, too. It never was a derogatory term. People were looking for things to be offended by and figured that was a good target. So, arbitrarily, Oriental became Asian. Oriental simply means people from the "orient", a geographical area. Now we have to use a broader and less meaningful term. It's silly.

There certainly is plenty of silliness out there with regard to such things... My mother insists on "African-American" but I know there's a lot of people who would prefer "Black" because they're Americans, not Africans... Or they merely have dark skin and no African at all (for example, Jamaicans).

It doesn't hurt my feelings if someone wants to use language that certain groups might be offended by. But their choice to use such language will likely inform my opinion of them. Don't read more into it than what's being said.

THIS!!! That's exactly what I'm saying. Doesn't hurt my feelings any...

Not sure if they're still there or not, I don't pay much attention to signature lines these days.

I also ignore most signature lines. However, I finally read yours. President! I am a founding member!

Tim

Yep, Fauci's days are numbered. He's too quick to speak the truth.

Yep, Fauci's days are numbered. He's too quick to speak the truth.

I'll beg to differ. Fauci is but one of a good number of government employees that are truly good at their job and dedicated to service. Whether one loves/hates the President, one trait he does have, is recognizing what is in his best interest. Fauci and the team are necessary to the President.

I'll beg to differ. Fauci is but one of a good number of government employees that are truly good at their job and dedicated to service. Whether one loves/hates the President, one trait he does have, is recognizing what is in his best interest. Fauci and the team are necessary to the President.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies."

I remember in the 1980s a lady who worked for the same company had a running joke (feud?) with an technician in our department. He referred to her as an "ornamental" and she referred to him as an "accidental". Nobody got all bent out of shape by it. Whatever...

Why Japanese American, why not just American? I just took the census. Amazing how many sub groups they now have. Talk about identity distinction! I guess this just allows justification for identity politics.

"Freedom Flu"?
FWIW: Funny thing is the main Chinese media called it the "Wuhan's viral pneumonia" up through the end of January until it became suddenly "unfashionable." Now the same media condemns its use. And it wasn't because some person in the US was offended.

What's ironic is that the actual name of the virus (pathogen) is SARS-CoV-2. But they also determined the prefix "SARS" was not socially acceptable either so they invented a new name to call the disease the virus causes CORVID-19. But don't let a few facts get into the way of a good debate.;)

So today, Trader Joe's is limiting the number of people in the store. One in, one out. The rest are forced to stand in a Soviet-style line until their turn. It was about a 60 minute line, meaning you're standing inches from the persons nearest you as you wait to get in.

No thanks. That's a higher risk than just going in the store.

Noticed a couple of other things that likewise indicate "no common sense".

This is why people panic-buy.

Simpler translation.....soap is a surfectant, which disrupts the surface tension of the virus, hence breaking it apart into pieces that get flushed down the drain.

Never doubt the benefit of the Food Channel!
Go, Alton Brown! :)

That’s a CEO’s job! Find the right people for the job and listen to them. Sometimes that means replacing them. That’s why it is MASSIVELY important to elect a president with actual executive experience.

Context is everything. Yes, people should have thicker skins, but other people should not deliberately use terms just to be annoying, or to brand themselves as part of a tribe who think in a certain way. Both sides do this. Not saying that you did this deliberately, but others here on this board did.

Amen on context. One of the interesting things about innuendo is that technically correct wording often gets politicized from its usage by political partisans. When that happens, people often get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that a speaker or writer is trying to make a political point while preserving plausible deniability.

As far as "oriental" goes, I thought it was strange when brands of ramen noodles recently (within the past year) changed their named flavor from "oriental" to "soy sauce". Suddenly it dawned on me why. I come from Japanese ancestry, but I consider myself an American only.

Something I've been wondering about is whether objections to the term "oriental" came from the people who used to be referred to by it, or did the objections originate from others who were objecting on their behalf.

The majority of my ancestry is Swedish, and while I've never had any doubts about being an American, I also consider myself to be one of those "stubborn Swedes" that my mom used to talk about! However, I don't consider it my place to be the arbiter of how others wish to be referred to, whether it makes sense to me or not.

Why Japanese American, why not just American? I just took the census. Amazing how many sub groups they now have. Talk about identity distinction! I guess this just allows justification for identity politics.

I checked "other" and wrote in "Mutt". We will see if I get a call.

I do get where you're coming from but I don't think it's silly. Maybe its just me and my own silly fascination with certain syntax but I've heard these sorts of conversations many times and I always find myself focused on the same word. Have. As in now we have to use a broader and less meaningful term.

No you don't. You don't have to do anything. No one is holding a gun to your head. Its a very simple matter. You are either interested in being respectful or you are not. Simple as that.

If my friend Jimmy whom I've known all my life and always called by the name Jimmy came to me and said hey look, my Dad was very abusive to me and he really eff'd me up and he always called me Jimmy so I prefer to be called Jim now, I'm going to want to respect that. I'm not going to bi*ch and moan about how now I have to call him Jim because its not PC to call him the name I've been calling him all my life.

Its not a big deal at all. You want me to call you Jim instead of Jimmy, consider it done. Just remember that for my whole life I've seen your face and thought Jimmy so I might screw up a few times because I can be a screw up like that, but know that I'll try my best to remember and eventually I'm sure I'll get it down pat yada yada yada.

I don't get butt hurt about it. I don't complain about it. I could care less, and if he told me he wanted to be called Butterbean, that would be just fine too. He's someone I care about and I want to be respectful so if that's what he wants, then Butterbean it is.

So if I can do that for my buddy Jim, I can do it for anyone or any group and honestly, I'd kind of feel like hypocrite if I didn't. Point is I could really care less what anyone wants to be called by, I just want to be respectful. If I know that some folks might find it disrespectful to call COVID-19 a Chinese virus, I'm not going to call it that. It doesn't mean I need to grow a pair. It doesn't mean I need therapy. It means I'm interested in being respectful. Pretty effin' simple. Not sure why some seem to find that so hard to understand or why they seem to want to argue it so much.

Amen on context. One of the interesting things about innuendo is that technically correct wording often gets politicized from its usage by political partisans. When that happens, people often get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that a speaker or writer is trying to make a political point while preserving plausible deniability.

Something I've been wondering about is whether objections to the term "oriental" came from the people who used to be referred to by it, or did the objections originate from others who were objecting on their behalf.
I honestly have no idea. In fact I didn’t know it was an issue until I heard a relative complain about it. Obviously, she and I don’t agree on this matter, or much else when it comes to these sorts of subjects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back