Getting my Private Pilot Certificate in a Luscombe.

Flight #23, cont'd

Taxiing at KTIW
17 Taxiing at Tacoma Narrows.jpg

Departing KTIW
18 Takeoff at Tacoma Narrows.jpg

Fox Island bridge as I turn base
19 Fox Island Bridge.jpg

The Tacoma Narrows Bridges and Point Defiance Park
30 Narrows Bridges 2.jpg

Wright Park, downtown Tacoma, the Tacoma Dome (biggest wooden structure in the world)
40 Wright Park Downtown Tacoma Dome.jpg

The tide flats in Tacoma. These are just a few of many cranes.
50 Tideflats.jpg

Wild Waves and I-5
60 Wild Waves.jpg

Sunset over the Olympic Peninsula
97 Sunset 1.jpg

Final approach to Thun Field
98Final Approach Thun Field 1.jpg

Short final at Thun Field
99 xLanding at Thun Field.jpg

Last edited:
They're screen grabs from video from Sony FDR X-3000 action cams. That's why the quality is so horrible.

I thought your pictures looked GREAT myself, and if it's video they're always fun to watch/review. I didn't do any recording as a student (was only 11 years ago - but I generally don't get too many images or photos unless it's with the phone). I enjoy watching everyone's landing videos and did a few myself on some of the trips my son was on (he was the video guy - no mounts - fairly shaky low quality compared to all the heavy hitters like Aviation 101). Comes in handy when you can YouTube an unfamiliar field and see the environment prior to going (I did this with Fullerton KFUL and Catalina years ago). Keep up the "reporting" ;)... great thread.

I thought your pictures looked GREAT myself, and if it's video they're always fun to watch/review. I didn't do any recording as a student (was only 11 years ago - but I generally don't get too many images or photos unless it's with the phone). I enjoy watching everyone's landing videos and did a few myself on some of the trips my son was on (he was the video guy - no mounts - fairly shaky low quality compared to all the heavy hitters like Aviation 101). Comes in handy when you can YouTube an unfamiliar field and see the environment prior to going (I did this with Fullerton KFUL and Catalina years ago). Keep up the "reporting" ;)... great thread.

Thanks, Dan. I'm glad you think the pictures are okay. I'm a pretty serious photographer (better at stills, but working on improving my video skills) and plan on putting all my lessons on my YouTube channel when I get around to editing them. Ultimately, I'm hoping I can work things out and make some good quality videos. I'm glad you're enjoying the posts. When no one clicks "Like" on a post, I have no idea if anyone is even reading them, so thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

Flight #24 — 3.1 hours (38.3 total)

This was my longest flight yet and will probably be my last cross country before getting my certificate. I flew from Thun Field (PLU) to Yakima (YKM) to Ellensburg (ELN) to Wenatchee/Pangborn Memorial (EAT) and then back to Thun Field. Total distance was about 260 miles with 3.1 hours logged in Garmin Pilot, all actual flying time. No dilly dallying on this flight!

Let me first make the point that I never could've imagined that I would land at 16+ airports before even getting my Private Pilot Certificate! I have to say it's been pretty cool to land at all these places.

I planned for certain winds, but very shortly before the flight I called 1-800-WX-BRIEF. It was the first time I'd talked to them aside from with my instructor last week, but I was prepared, rattled off everything they needed, and the call went fine. He gave me higher wind figures, but it was a little late and I didn't get those figured in to my crosswind correction.

On the first leg of the trip, I was constantly being blown south of my desired course. On top of that, I was either over my checkpoints (and thus couldn't see them), or I had chosen a peak that appeared on the sectional but which was one of among a hundred peaks in the area, and which therefore was nearly impossible to pick out. Pilotage and dead reckoning have been much harder for me than I anticipated they would be. On the positive side, there were a few very good checkpoints available—and which I had chosen—for this leg. I was happy when I was able to locate those and when my times weren't too far off. Regardless, I was using my iPad to verify my course and position, since, if I couldn't locate a checkpoint or was off course, I wouldn't really be learning anything, other than that I was clueless, if I couldn't verify my actual position.

About 12 miles out from Yakima, I called the tower. I'm still quite inexperienced talking to tower and ground, but, truthfully, it has gone pretty well every time I've done it. This was no different, except for one minor glitch:

A few of the first words out of my mouth: "...12 miles east of the airport."
A few of the first words out of the controller's mouth: "...did you mean west of the airport?"

D'oh!

He was totally cool about it and the rest of our intercourse went what I would consider perfectly. One thing that Gene has taught me that I've appreciated is, when I talk to tower or ground, "just tell them what you want. Just have a normal conversation with them." I think that has helped me to relax some and is great advice. I'm anal enough on my own to worry about all the little details and the perfect phrasing. Gene's advice is just what I need. After parking next to the museum—which is next to CubCrafters—I got out, took a few pictures, and stretched my legs. I did the same thing at each of the 3 airports at which I landed.

From there, I took off, departed the pattern with a right turn to the north, and flew up the Yakima river through a valley to Ellensburg. As I was approaching, I called out my position well in advance of arriving.

Me: "Ellensburg traffic, Luscombe 1813-kilo, 10 miles south of the airport, coming up the river valley, Ellensburg."

Someone else: "Is that an 8A?"

Me: "8E."

Someone else: "48?"

Me: "46."

I have a really horrible time picturing wind directions and runway directions in my head. It helps to study the chart ahead of time, but when I'm approaching, I have to work really hard at picturing things in my head, like a map in my brain. I listened to the ASOS, held my hand up in front of my face to help me visualize the various directions, did a little math, and figured out which way I would land. I made a 45 to a left downwind for 29. Winds were supposed to be 10, gusting to 15, but they were just barely off the runway. If it was a bit too interesting, I thought I'd try a low pass, working on my lateral control and longitudinal alignment, then come back in. I came in a bit hot, planning on doing a wheel landing. Wind was no problem and I made a great landing. There was something like a Long-EZ over near the pumps. He fiddled around a while and took off as I was getting ready to go.

Next stop, Wenatchee/Pangborn. Pangborn Memorial airport is named after Clyde Pangborn, the first pilot to fly non-stop across the Pacific Ocean, which he did in 1931. Both my external video cameras died about 4 minutes before I landed, so there aren't any pictures of my approach. There's not much to say, though; it was another good approach and landing. The only runway of the trip which had a right-hand pattern was 12 at Wenatchee, and that's what the winds favored, so I flew directly into a 45 for a right downwind for 12. I spent the longest time on the ground here. Probably 15 or 20 minutes. It was so quiet and peaceful. I even enjoyed hearing the barely-audible distant gun shots in the hills. The weather was like a perfect summer day in Tacoma, probably low-to-mid 70s. When I was coming in, I heard a glider on the radio announce his position. Several minutes after I landed, I saw him approach and land. That was cool. I also enjoyed a delicious apple as I relaxed—not a Red Delicious, just delicious. Just as I was getting ready to fire up, a 185, who had been refueling, taxied past. We waved at each other.

"Wenatchee traffic, Skywagon 1-niner-charlie will be departing runway 1-2, be a climbing right down, er, yeah, climbing right downwind departure, uh, headin’ for Cashmere."

The last leg was the longest. I flew directly into the sun for more than an hour—1.4 hours, to be exact. That made it more difficult to locate checkpoints, but a few of them were really, really good checkpoints and were easy to spot. A couple big lakes—Cle Ellum Lake and Kachess Lake—and a radome were easy to spot. I added more crosswind correction than I had on the first leg of the trip and did a much better job staying on course (about 270, instead of the 244-246 I had planned). A few clouds had me concerned, but I was easily able to navigate around and over them. After getting past the Cascades, I flew into what I expected—lots of haze backlit by the sun. By that point, I wasn't even trying to use my map and checkpoints—I was referencing the GPS—but the last few miles, I just decided I would find the airport on my own, which I was able to do without difficulty.

It was a satisfying trip and is the kind of flying I am doing all this learning for. I absolutely love the mountains, but I love the desert, too! Flying right past Mt. Rainier was absolutely awesome! My navigation sucks, but I'll keep working at it. My flying is okay, but I need to keep working at that, too. At this point, I need to figure out what I have left. I have some more hood work, my instructor mentioned something about getting radar vectors from approach or some such thing, and probably a few others odds and ends. I'm preparing for my written and need to find an available DPE. Gettin' close. Onward and upward.

To see all the pictures from this trip, go here:

https://www.jpwphoto.com/p1049287722

Flight #24: pictures

Mt. Rainier
08 mt rainier.jpg

Mt. Rainier
09 rainier bottom.jpg

Mt. Rainier and the Carbon River Glacier (I think)
10 Rainier Glacier.jpg

Mt. Aix
12 Mt Aix.jpg

Yakima Air Terminal
14 final at Yakima.jpg

Yakima
15 about to touch down at Yakima.jpg

Yakima
16 Yakima.jpg

CubCrafters
17 Yakima Carbon Cub.jpg

Yakima River
23 yakima river.jpg

Flight #24: pictures, cont'd

Ellensburg, 45 to a left downwind for 29. Wait, was I not supposed to land on the runway with the X's on it?
26 45 to downwind Ellensburg.jpg

Ellensburg, wheel landing
27 wheel landing at Ellensburg.jpg

Ellensburg
30 Ellensburg.jpg

Wenatchee
35 Wenatchee.jpg

Mt. Rainier, clouds, and the Cascades
46 clouds and rainier.jpg

Mt. Rainier, clouds, and the Cascades
50 clouds mountain.jpg

Last edited:
Flight #25 (aka Bite-me-Jay-Inslee) — 2.2 hours (40.5 total)

Between weather, the occasional anxiety maybe, and who knows what else, I didn't fly for a few weeks. Then my annual was due. I don't consider myself a slave to the bureaucrats and the plane wouldn't have fallen out of the sky, but I didn't fly for another couple weeks. Then my A&P had some spare time so we got together and, over the course of a week or so, we did the annual. Found a few things and got them taken care of, then...no more excuses.

The weather forecast in the area was okay—a little cloudy, but I need to start flying when the weather might challenge my comfort a little bit—so I decided to go (the weather was just fine). Gas is $2.80 at Chehalis, so I thought I'd go down there and fill up. I thought I had enough fuel to get down there—and back, in case they were out—but I decided that having to convince myself that I could make it back made me an idiot, so I added 5 gallons before leaving Thun Field. After one post-annual test-flight around the pattern, I headed out. Had a nice flight down and overflew some smoke stacks that I had used as a check point on my first cross country—it's a coal power plant. I listened to the weather and had decided on landing one way when I heard a conversation saying that people were landing the other. Then I heard a couple pilots talking, specifically one telling another that he had cut him off, the culprit being in a Maule. I announced my position and that I'd be entering on a 45 to a left downwind for 34. I saw a plane on a really wide downwind and asked if that was the Maule who had just announced his position. He confirmed it and I told him I'd follow him in, which I did. Interestingly, he generated a lot of wake turbulence and I got all cattywampus on short final and so did a go around. After pulling up to the pumps, I told him what had happened, and we had a nice chat. Next time, I'll probably just come in a bit higher. No need to try and hit the numbers every time (which almost never happens).

Decided to stretch my legs a bit on the way back and so called up Gray Army Airfield (Fort Lewis) and asked if I could do some circles over western DuPont over the Amazon distribution center. She was real nice, it was no big deal, and she just told me to let her know when I was leaving the area. My friend wasn't home—he lives right across the street from the distribution center—so it ended up just being some practice of turns around a point.

Left the area and said goodbye to the nice controller lady wearing fatigues (I presume) and headed north towards Tacoma Narrows Airport. Again, just forcing myself to do something that I'm slightly uncomfortable with. I checked the weather, then called up Tacoma tower. After doing several full-stop landings, I asked if I could do a right downwind, and then turn east over Route 16, departing the area over the Narrows Bridges, then over Tacoma. The controller asked me to confirm was I was asking, and I answered with a simple "Luscombe 1-3-kilo, affirmative."

The controller cleared me to take off and then told me that he'd tell me when I could turn east. I told him I'd wait for his call. I overflew the Narrows Bridges, enjoying a spectacular view, then continued east over Tacoma, doing some turns over our house. My wife later told me she heard a plane outside, but didn't come out. Lame. More turns around a point.

From there, I swung wide to the east around McChord Air Force Base's class D airspace and headed back down to Thun Field. All in all, I was very pleased with the flight. I thought, with my modest experience, I'd be rusty after 5 weeks without spreading my wings, but my landings were good and my flying good. It was a very pleasant flight.

Centralia Coal Power Plant
10 Centralia Coal Power Plant.jpg

Riverside Golf Club, Chehalis Airport in the background
13 Chehalis.jpg

Turning final @ Chehalis, I-5 dead ahead
15 Turning Final Chehalis I-5.jpg

Going around @ Chehalis, damn Maule on the left
20 Going Around Chehalis.jpg

Gas for $2.80 per gallon @ Chehalis
30 Fuel at Chehalis.jpg

Radio towers on the way back to Tacoma
35 Radio Towers.jpg

Amazon distribution center in DuPont, WA, Puget Sound in the background
40 Amazon Distsribution Center.jpg

Headed north over Puget Sound
42 Puget Sound Tacoma Narrows.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures, cont'd:

Chambers Bay Golf Course
45 Chamber Bay Golf Course.jpg

Day Island, Tacoma Narrows Bridges, Tacoma Narrows Airport, "The Narrows"
48 Day Island Tacoma Narrows.jpg

Tacoma Narrows Airport (KTIW)
50 45 to Tacoma Narrows.jpg

Tacoma Narrows Bridges (formerly "Galloping Gertie")
55 Narrows Bridges.jpg

Narrows Bridges
60 Narrows Bridges 2.jpg

Allenmore Golf Course
65 Allenmore Golf Course I-5 16 Interchange.jpg

I-5 / SR-16 Interchange
70 I-5 16 Interchange.jpg

45 to a left downwind for runway 35 @ Pierce County Airport (aka Thun Field)
75 45 to Thun.jpg

Short Final
80 Final at Thun.jpg

My Home Parking Spot
85 Back at the Tie Down.jpg

Last edited:
...A few of my approaches were quite high, so I got some practice slipping, although with that long runway (just a hair over 5,000 feet), I didn't really need to. I did the extra circuits because I didn't want to have to slip because I suck. I wanted to actually have a few good approaches. My last few were much better. Glided right down just past the numbers, no slippage necessary.

With no flaps, it's good practice to always come in a little high and plan to slip on short final. Otherwise, if you misjudge and are a little low, and then the engine decides to load up and quit on final (it can happen), you're in a bad situation. Altitude is your friend.

With flaps, on a stabilized approach you can always take some flaps out to stretch your glide, but these old planes are different.

Flight #26 — 1.3 hours (41.8 total)

I need only another hour-and-a-half of hood time (unusual attitudes and getting radar vectors), and then I should be ready for the flying test. We'll do that after I get it scheduled which will be when the DPE decides to start scheduling tests again, based on the virus situation here in WA, government recommendations, and her own judgement. In the mean time, I'm studying, and will plan on taking the written sometime soon. Doin' some flyin', too.

On this flight, I decided I would practice some power-on turns to stall. I have to admit to being somewhat uncomfortable trying to stall my Luscombe at full power. It feels like I'm pointed straight up. On the plus side, its manners are quite mild. With full power and the stick all the way back, I began turning, increasing the bank angle until something interesting happened. The high wing began to drop. I don't really understand why that was, but the solution was quite easy—release back pressure. This plane is pretty tame. I practiced this multiple times in both directions.

Next, I practiced some power off descents at moderately high angle of attack. What I wanted to do was to mimic coming in slow, as I'd like to be able to come in at shorter fields or over trees and get stopped relatively shortly. I practiced these descents just above stall, but I didn't plan on coming in to land that slowly—at least not yet. I then added a little power to arrest my descent, as if trying to contact the runway with less vertical speed. Nothing crazy happened upon adding power.

Then, over to Mt. Rainier to enjoy the sights of one of the most beautiful things on the face of the planet. I climbed up to around 10,700 feet, the highest I'd ever flown in my Luscombe (so far). I puttered around the west side of the mountain getting what felt like close enough to reach out and touch it. It was absolutely awesome!

Then, back to the airport to try some slow approaches. I reduced power slightly and descended at a bit higher-than-normal speed. When I got to the edge of SeaTac's class B airspace, I wasn't quite low enough, so I did a 360 and got down just low enough to squeeze under the 5,000-foot shelf. I continued descending and announced my position. I wasn't low enough to enter the pattern, so I did several more 360s. I then announced I was on a 45 to a left downwind for runway 17. I had heard another plane announce, but for some reason thought he was farther along in the pattern. He volunteered to do a 360 so I could get into the pattern. I would've been happy to do a 360, but he did it first. I let him know that I thought he was farther along, but he said it was no problem. That wasn't the last time I would employ imperfect pattern skills on this flight.

I did several landings, including a few touch and goes for efficiency's sake. I tried coming in about 65 mph—5 to 10 mph slower than normal—and did quite so-so. Once, I had a sinker on short final, added power, and got it down okay. On a few others, I struggled with flying a good glide slope. I'll keep working at it.

On one of my full stop landings, I taxied back to the north end of the runway, just in time to see a twin go zipping by and land. The 172 that I had cut off earlier was just turning final. I'm confident enough that I know I can get out on the runway in short order and be long gone before the next guy comes in, so that's what I did. However, after I pulled out on the runway and applied throttle, I began to wonder how long the twin was going to take to pull off. He was near the far end. At that point, he was absolutely down and wasn't going back up. I could've just plowed ahead and I would've been way over him if, for some reason, he'd stayed on the runway. However, even with my tail in the air, I reduced throttle some, figuring I shouldn't fly over another plane on the runway, even though I wouldn't have been anywhere near him. After what seemed like an eternity, he was off, I was full throttle and lifted off, and the 172 behind me did his touch and go without issue.

Not a close call, no danger, but definitely dumb.

One more lap. On downwind, I heard a helicopter announce his position, but couldn't locate him. I announced my position an extra time when I was abeam the numbers and asked again where the helicopter was, saying I couldn't find him. He answered, but I still couldn't triangulate his position. The 172 then asked where the whirly bird was and stated that he couldn't locate the him. The 172 then stated that he would do a 360. I don't know if that helped or could've hurt, as I have no idea where the helicopter ever was. The helicopter departed the area and the rest of us breathed a sigh of relief—or at least I did.

I made a fine approach and then proceeded to land hard—in reality just dropped it in from about a foot up, but it always seems more like 10 feet to me—uttered words which are here unutterable, and taxied back to my tie down. I left my master on a bit longer, however, watching the 172 make yet another touch and go. After the 172 had lifted off, climbed out, and turned downwind, I hopped on the radio:

“And a quick message to that, uh, Skyhawk. This is the Luscombe. I apologize for pulling out in front of you when that twin landed. That ended up being a bad decision.”

“That’s alright, sir. Appreciate it, though.”

Time and again, he showed good judgement and was a very gracious pilot. I continue to be impressed by the excellent communication among planes around my home airport, and if that 172 pilot is a student headed for the airlines, then that's very promising.

Gettin' ready to go
10 Preparing to Taxi from Tie Down.jpg

Departing Thun Field
15 Takeoff at Thun Tail View.jpg

Power-on, turn to stall
20 High AOA Turn Tail View.jpg

Power-on, turn to stall, although not straight up, kinda feels like it.
25 Power on High AOA Turn 2.jpg

The incomparable Mt. Rainier
30 Rainier 2.jpg

Again, just wow!
32 RainierFromLuscombe.jpg

Facing north up the Cascades
35 Rainier 3.jpg

Heading back to Thun Field, Mt. St. Helens in the background.
40 Rainier 4 Tail View.jpg

Heading home
45 Rainier 5 Tail View.jpg

Almost back to Thun Field
50 Rainier 6 Tail View Almost Back to Thun.jpg

About 1" before touchdown
55 Split Second Before Touchdown.jpg

Heading around the pattern again
60 Takeoff at Thun.jpg

Trying not to groundloop. I was victorious!
65 Trying Not to Ground Loop.jpg

Jay,

You make me happy. As a looong time Luscombe owner I find your flights, pictures and progress just delightful to read. Thank you.

Scott

Jay,

You make me happy. As a looong time Luscombe owner I find your flights, pictures and progress just delightful to read. Thank you.

Scott

Oh! Wow! How nice!

Excellent write up and photos, if I was not already a pilot this would make me want to learn! Be careful in the mountains out there, weather can change very quickly. For sure learn to safely recover from IIMC. I flew Army MEDEVAC out of FT Lewis for several years in the mid nineties, it could become quite challenging usually due to weather. It great to see all though airports again! Nice work, keep it up!

Just passed my written. Considering I've always been a terrible student, I can live with an 85. Another guy who was already there when I started finished before me and got a 72—for his drone cert. I'm tempted to quote the hockey coach in Letterkenny, but don't want to offend sensitive ears.

There were a couple questions about which I was completely clueless, and there were a few others about which I had a clue, but which were worded very trickily. A multiple-choice test can be made extremely difficult, if so desired. At the end, I felt pretty good, but knew I hadn't aced it.

I think I finished in just under an hour-and-a-half. I'm not used to reading charts in the POH (mine doesn't have any), and had to figure out several questions using some of those charts, so that burned up some time. Although I ticked off a majority of the questions fairly quickly, the fact that I have a horrible time focusing didn't help any. I'm sure I burned 5 minutes or more with my mind wandering off into completely random and unrelated subject matter.

I thought about a calculator ahead of time and tracked down an old HP scientific calculator I had around the house. I happened to have some batteries that fit. I didn't know if they'd let me take in a scientific calculator, but they did. In the end, however, there were two calculators on the desk already (one of which I used), and there's a small calculator built in to the test website.

I had gotten adequately skilled with an aluminum E6B I had purchased several years ago during my test preparation, but, although I'd gotten the idea into my head that I wouldn't used a GPS during my private pilot training and would just keep it old school until I had my certificate, that idea has already fallen through. I honestly don't see myself ever using that E6B again. I like to think of myself as old-school in some ways, but I'm clearly just not that hard core.

Birdus, thank you for the highly detailed description of your journey so far. I read anything I can find written by current Luscombe fliers. Reading your play-by-play was a treat:)

I just posted the first video in what will be a series detailing my Private Pilot training. For anyone who's interested, here it is:

Total Hours: just over 50
Actual Flying: just over 40

Since Lord Inslee shut our state down for a while, the DPE had cancelled all tests and wasn't making appointments. For that reason, there was no great motivation for my instructor (84 years old) and me to polish off the last hour-and-a-half of my hood work, so I continued merely to putt around on my own a bit.

However, around 6/11, the Emperor bestowed upon us a bit of additional freedom. At that point, I was able to schedule my check ride for Thursday, July 2nd. The first thing Gene did was to inquire as to the status of my 90-day solo endorsement, something which hadn't crossed my mind. I may or may not have been flying around on an expired solo endorsement and therefore my instructor and I may or may not have done three full stop landings so that my instructor may or may not have been able to give me a fresh 90-day solo endorsement.

It took three flights for me to finish the simulated instrument work. On the first flight, we mainly discovered that I didn't know how to use my ADS-B/transponder. It had somehow changed modes to something other than ALT. Additionally, my almost-brand-new Stratus ESGi wasn't communicating properly with my iPad, which was to act as my artificial horizon, so that flight got cut short.

After learning how to use my Stratus transponder and trying a factory reset on the Stratus 3i, I went up again alone just to do some testing. Things seemed to be working okay.

Gene and I went up again, I got radar vectors from Seattle Approach, and we flew around for an hour-and-a-half all while staring at a piece of glass. I freely admit that flying on instruments takes loads of concentration and is therefore quite tiring. We did run into a bit of turbulence, too, which really got our attention at one point. Gene gave me vectors all the way to final approach, which was pretty cool. I didn't adjust quickly enough and so swung wide on final. After ripping the hood off, I got lined up and landed. I really enjoyed that.

We did one more flight after that one, just for some practice of basic maneuvers. We did power-on and power-off stalls, S-turns, and turns-around-a-point. It was clear to me, and Gene stated matter-of-factly, that my S-turns and turns-around-a-point were marginal.

I did one more flight after that, but alone. I flew dozens of turns-around-a-point in both directions and dozens of S-turns. To begin with, I was still sucking, but, by the time I was done, I was doing well. I felt pretty good about it.

Next flight? Check ride. (at least after ferrying myself to Jefferson Count International Airport)

I hate tests. As the big day drew closer, I felt more and more stressed out. I don't really show it on the outside, but I'm not happy on the inside.

I feel like I'm a bit weak when it comes to weather, so I was putting in some extra work trying to understand what the weather would be like on the big day. My sister, who is an experienced pilot, helped to acquaint me with the 1-800-WX-BRIEF website. Apparently, it's what FSS uses. I really like the idea of being able to see the graphics and mull over all the information at my own speed. I plan on using it in the future, but I guess I can always call them to get their expert interpretation and input.

Long story short, the clouds were low and covered both the hither and the yon. I was in touch with the DPE, so she knew I was looking closely at the weather. Both the ATIS and the webcams at Jefferson County (JeffCo, if you're cool) showed low ceilings and poor visibility. I said "long story short," so I'll get to it. I cancelled. After I texted the DPE my decision, she didn't mince words: "Listen, you are the captain. Always and period. If you aren't feeling comfortable, then it's a no go. That will vary a bit as you gain experience, but it is always wise to treat weather with a great deal of respect. Those that don't, and many with tons of experience, can pay a high price. This is a great set up with external pressure and it's awesome you're aware of it. But that shouldn't affect your decision. Only you make the call. And none of us can control the weather. Only what we do about it. So treat this as another great learning experience. It's better to worry about weather on the ground than in the air."

...and just a bit later in the conversation of texts: "You're the boss. Own it."

The weather lowered over the next couple hours, and didn't improve until later in the day, so my decision was the right one. I felt very encouraged at her response to my cancellation. She texted me several days later and we rescheduled for July 14th, so, on the plus side, I got another couple weeks to study. I hadn't felt ready, but felt better the next time around.

I got a second set of cross-country endorsements from my CFI, but this time I actually went. The flight up was a non event. We spent the first while going over paperwork and fiddling with the IACRA website. Then the test began. We talked for probably a couple hours and I felt like it was going pretty well. I didn't nail everything, but I felt pretty good. The extra study definitely helped. There's a lot to learn. She asked if I wanted to take a break, get some lunch, or whatever. I took her up on that.

I walked over to the restaurant on the airport and she did some other things. She was going to join me, but got distracted with other pilots and planes. After a while, I went back over to the office she uses (the office of a mechanic's hangar) and we continued. After some more questions, it was time to go over the cross country I'd planned. It was a catastrophe. I used a simplified worksheet I'd come up with and she said she was accustomed to seeing a lot more information. I also had forgotten to figure in declination (I always forget what pilots call it, but I know what it is). That was just a stupid mistake. The other big problem was the way I had planned the whole flight. I had initially figured I should just plan a straight-line flight from 0S9 to KSFF, but then decided that that wouldn't be realistic. Why? Because that's not how I would do it in real life. When I travel, I do a lot of research, but then am flexible during the actual trip. I've traveled to about 40 countries, and that's just what I do. I also like visiting new airports. So, I had gotten familiar with the route and decided that I would land at a number of airports along the way. The airspace surrounding Paine Field was also in my path. I could talk to the tower and fly through their airspace, veer slightly north and fly around their airspace, or I could fly over it. I explained these options. It would be easy enough to pick one on the way.

I soon discovered that she wasn't happy about that at all. She wanted me to tell her exactly what I was going to do, and that included not landing at various airports along the way. So, I just began to rattle off a definitive plan. I felt pretty bad about that, but that's what happened. That didn't last much longer. We moved on to some basic questions about the VFR chart. I'm pretty comfortable with that and did fine. Apparently, my poorly-planned cross country didn't warrant a flunk, so we went flying.

I did steep turns (45 degrees) both directions, climbs, descents, and a turn around a point. My turn around a point was total crap—and I had even practiced them recently! I basically just flew half a turn, then she had me head back to the airport. Next was a short-field landing. I've never been great at nailing a spot, but hit my spot pretty closely (not a great touchdown, though). She pointed out that a short field landing included applying brakes and coming to a complete stop. I did neither. I mentioned my instructor (she knows him) and pointed out that we had actually never done that. When I first started flying in the left seat (my plane has brakes only on that side and so I started out in the right seat), my instructor said "don't touch the brakes." I understood and didn't. Over time, I got comfortable using the brakes, but still had never practiced the explicit short-field landing. The truth is, if I perform a good short-field landing and have to use the brakes, then I think my plane will have just found a new home. Anyway, mistake number two.

We took off again and were going to do the simulated instrument. You know what happened. The Stratus 3i wouldn't communicate AHRS info to my iPad correctly. I was going to try and do a factory reset back on the ground, so we landed and I did a reset. We'd get back in the air and try it again.

On my recent practice flight with Gene, we had done a short-field takeoff and I did it well, but what did I do on my test? I got right up against the end of the runway, applied full throttle, got the tail up to streamline the airfoil, rotated, and then—pushed over to accelerate in ground effect. WTF????? That's right. I invented a new maneuver—the combination short-field soft-field takeoff. Good grief, Charlie Brown! She said she'd count it as my soft field takeoff.

Although we didn't zero out the iPad in straight and level flight, it wasn't really looking as though it was working. She told me to go back and land. I had thought we would try to calibrate it in the air and see about the hood work. Since she just told me to go back and land, and then taxi back to the hangar, I was sure that was three strikes, and I was out. I had been flying like crap. I was surprised. She said that it had been a long day and I was probably tired, and that I could try and figure out the AHRS issue and come back to finish up. A discontinuance.

I always fly with a video camera rolling, and I always talk to myself. I plan on posting videos of my flying, so that will probably work out well. On my flight home, however, I hardly said a word. You'd think I'd be happy. I felt like a fraud. Although I wanted to be done with it, I didn't really want to have it given to me, and I certainly didn't want to do a terrible job.

We rescheduled for just a week later. I ended up using Gene's portable, battery-powered Stratus. My iPad worked fine with that. I did okay with the simulated instrument work, including turning climbs, descents, and unusual attitudes. She told me that the test was over, barring wrapping the plane around the wind sock or some such catastrophe, and just to fly it back to the airport, enter the pattern however I would normally do it, and land. When I was about to do a tear drop, she may or may not have asked for the controls and done a balls-out wingover to get us turned around and onto the 45.

"The Luscombe is a really nimble airplane."

My approach was crap, my landing was so-so, but I was right on the center line, which she pointed out.

Although I still feel like some mix of fraud and mediocre pilot and can't help but consider the DPE to be very gracious and merciful, I have to believe that she wouldn't have passed me if she thought the statistics favored my killing someone else or myself. I may not be proud of my check ride, but I'm glad it's over.

On the way home, I landed at Vashon Municipal Airport (I can land wherever I want now!). Although I was thinking of an excuse not to (still feeling a little fear and trepidation), I figured I'd kick myself later for not following through with my plan. On final, I maneuvered between some trees and just above the tips of other trees and made a good landing on the grass strip. No needles in my wingtip lights and no needles in the landing gear. That was exciting! My takeoff was solid, I got off quicker than I was expecting, and I was well above the trees by the time I got to the far end of the strip. Glad I did that.

Onward and upward.

Woo Hoo!! Congratulations! I've had my private certificate for 56 years and you're ahead of me; you have a tailwheel endorsement. :cheers:

Woo Hoo!! Congratulations! I've had my private certificate for 56 years and you're ahead of me; you have a tailwheel endorsement. :cheers:

Funny thing: I DON'T have a tail-wheel endorsement! So, you're still ahead of me. :D

Joking aside, thanks for the congratulations!

(For those who don't know—and there's no reason most folks would know this—when you learn to fly in a plane with conventional gear, you don't get an endorsement for it.)

I did get a tailwheel endorsement when learning to fly in my Luscombe in 2002, if I recall correctly prior to solo. I remember there was a small amount of discussion. It might be useful to have one recorded in your logbook at some point, just to head off nonsense from insurance companies or an over zealous FSDO at some time in the future.

Congratulations on passing your check ride! Now you can forget much of that stuff like many of us have done over time :)

@birdus Jay, from my reading of 14 CFR § 61.87 - Solo requirements for student pilots it appears you're right:
14 CFR § 61.87 (n) said:
Limitations on student pilots operating an aircraft in solo flight. A student pilot may not operate an aircraft in solo flight unless that student pilot has received an endorsement in the student's logbook for the specific make and model aircraft to be flown by an authorized instructor who gave the training within the 90 days preceding the date of the flight.

I could be mistaken, but since your pre-solo instruction was in a Luscombe 8E, and that make and model is a taildragger, it would seem no separate taildragger endorsement is required. I learned something.

The solo endorsement for a specific aircraft is a different thing from a tailwheel endorsement. If a student is endorsed to solo in an airplane that is a taildragger, it would seem that a separate tailwheel endorsement would be redundant... though it can't hurt to record it separately just to avoid any future questions.

I don't have a tailwheel endorsement either, but I'm grandfathered.

@birdus Jay, from my reading of 14 CFR § 61.87 - Solo requirements for student pilots it appears you're right:

I could be mistaken, but since your pre-solo instruction was in a Luscombe 8E, and that make and model is a taildragger, it would seem no separate taildragger endorsement is required. I learned something.

Don’t know if he was correct, but the DPE that did my Private checkride In a taildragger some years ago, after the checkride told my instructor that he needed to add a tailwheel endorsement to my logbook.

Don’t know if he was correct, but the DPE that did my Private checkride In a taildragger some years ago, after the checkride told my instructor that he needed to add a tailwheel endorsement to my logbook.
For sure, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add the endorsement in the pilot's logbook.

Congratulations on passing your check ride! Now you can forget much of that stuff like many of us have done over time :)

Oh, yeah! I'm all over it! :D

Congratulations, Jay!! I've enjoyed reading all our posts and seeing all your photos. Its been an exciting journey. What a great plane to learn in and great beautiful scenery too. I miss living up there in Steilacoom. You have been to so many of the airports around there and the history was cool too. I bet your sister is so proud! I am impressed! Bryan in TPA.

Congratulations, Jay. Your story has been inspirational. I learned to fly and soloed in a Luscombe 8F 40 years ago, but got my PPL in a C150. I was about to bust medical due to HBP a couple of years later so I let it lapse and quit flying until the light-sport license came about. I bought the lovely Aeronca Chief in my profile in 2009 and loved flying it until it was destroyed in a derecho windstorm in 2011. I haven't flown since, but I've got my eye on an 8A that's fairly nearby and next weekend my A&P/CFI friend and I are flying up to check it out. Now to see if I can still get insurance at age 74 with less than 200 hours. Oh, BTW...if you ever run across N9922C, give her a pat for me. According to the records, she's still flying in WA.

Back