Coronavirus hysteria is hurting every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas is big enough, we just need to all go find 100 acres and enough food for 3 weeks and let this thing die out... and yeah, I'm based in Dallas, but I hate big cities.

This morning I thought to myself how nutty it is that I can't get a cup of coffee in the community yet I have a waiting room with 70 and 80 year olds waiting for their diagnostic tests.

Interesting question...if infected by coronavirus, then recover , any ideas if 1) you can be reinfected or 2) you have antibodies or whatever so that you cannot get reinfected.

If 2) then those that have recovered could be a source of the vaccine.
There are reportedly two strains. I don't think enough is known yet about immunity, but the virologists have been talking "herd immunity" which implies that there will be some immunity.

So what. Statistically insignificant.
But you know what they say about statistics.

If I have a 1¢ today, and by next week I double it, I'll only have 2¢. Statistically and financially insignificant.

But if I double that penny every week, after 27 weeks, I will have $1,342,177.28.

Of course, that is ridiculous. But so is minimizing the impact of this virus.

A 12% increase in less than 24 hours. Yep insignificant.

The "increase" is from more testing being done. Of course it will increase, and many being tested are asymptomatic.

If a test was mandated for everyone to test for something like herpes, then we would see an "explosion" of herpes cases in the country, and then cries of "pandemic".

The "increase" is from more testing being done. Of course it will increase, and many being tested are asymptomatic.

If a test was mandated for everyone to test for something like herpes, then we would see an "explosion" of herpes cases in the country, and then cries of "pandemic".

This is a good point. The chart is not showing negative test results, or asymptomatic cases. Furthermore, tests are only being given to suspected cases in the first place (obviously).

I wasn't pointing out the increase in positive cases, I was pointing out the increase in deaths. We went from 7,000 to over 8,000 deaths in just 24 hours.

Here’s real-time stats worldwide. Pretty interesting YouTube live stream.

But you know what they say about statistics.

If I have a 1¢ today, and by next week I double it, I'll only have 2¢. Statistically and financially insignificant.

But if I double that penny every week, after 27 weeks, I will have $1,342,177.28.

Of course, that is ridiculous. But so is minimizing the impact of this virus.
How many would died of the influenza instead? How many over 70 years old?
Still not worried.

Last edited:
This has to be the most interesting thread drift in history. From deadly disease pandemic, to the flavor of bread and water.:D
Well, To paraphrase Matthew 4:4, in today's internet world, one cannot survive on pandemic and hysteria alone.

I wasn't pointing out the increase in positive cases, I was pointing out the increase in deaths. We went from 7,000 to over 8,000 deaths in just 24 hours.

The fatality count reflects the infection situation in Italy 3-4 weeks ago (and the ability of their healthcare system to react), not what is happening today.

Last edited:
Have you seen reports that Covid-19 was actually around before being discovered in Wuhan? Some have been saying they had COVID like symptoms last fall, but tested negative for the flu were sent home.

Have you seen reports that Covid-19 was actually around before being discovered in Wuhan? Some have been saying they had COVID like symptoms last fall, but tested negative for the flu were sent home.
As I stated in another post, I’m pretty sure my SO came down with this at the end of January. It wasn’t like the flu and it wasn’t like a cold. She was just real fatigued and it was all in her chest/lungs. It kept her in bed for a good 3-4 days. She’s a hairdresser and has many clients who are world travelers and have 2nd homes abroad.

As I stated in another post, I’m pretty sure my SO came down with this at the end of January. It wasn’t like the flu and it wasn’t like a cold. She was just real fatigued and it was all in her chest/lungs. It kept her in bed for a good 3-4 days. She’s a hairdresser and has many clients who are world travelers and have 2nd homes abroad.

Yep. That was me, too.

Near death for over two weeks, then two more weeks of fluid in my lungs.

I didn't die.

I talked to a couple docs about this possibility. They indicated that it is HIGHLY unlikely. If there are were numerous unexplained illnesses, hospitalizations, and likely deaths, the strain would have been identified.

I meant to reply to the thought that this had been circulating for many months...

I talked to a couple docs about this possibility. They indicated that it is HIGHLY unlikely. If there are were numerous unexplained illnesses, hospitalizations, and likely deaths, the strain would have been identified.

I meant to reply to the thought that this had been circulating for many months...

I've seen a lot of people claiming to have had something similar in recent months. Doesn't mean it was COVID-19. There are lots of various colds, flus, and other bugs that cause similar symptoms. I was hospitalized years ago with some kind of viral pneumonia that damn near killed me then. Wasn't COVID-19 either.

Re: my census job...

I was scheduled to be fingerprinted and photographed this afternoon at an Office Depot contracted to do that for the census.

I thought about it last night, and given that my wife and I are attempting to “shelter in place” as much as feasible, I decided to not make the scheduled appointment, even if it put my employment in jeopardy. I sat down this morning to call to cancel and to let the census department know why.

First, I checked my email, only to find my appointment had been canceled. Relevant portion:

You are receiving this email to inform you that your fingerprinting appointment on March 19, 2020 at 01:22 PM at TN-0536-Knoxville-Office Depot has been CANCELED.

Beginning Wednesday, March 18th, in support of guidance on what we can all do to help slow the spread of coronavirus, 2020 Census field operations will be suspended for two weeks until April 1, 2020. The Census Bureau is taking this step to help protect the health and safety of the American public, Census Bureau employees, and everyone going through the hiring process for temporary census taker positions. In support of protecting the public and you, all fingerprinting operations are suspended effective today. This is a temporary suspension and while your current fingerprinting appointment has been canceled, please check the fingerprint website on April 1, 2020 to reschedule your appointment (https://fingerprint.2020census.gov).

Re: my census job...

I was scheduled to be fingerprinted and photographed this afternoon at an Office Depot contracted to do that for the census.

I thought about it last night, and given that my wife and I are attempting to “shelter in place” as much as feasible, I decided to not make the scheduled appointment, even if it put my employment in jeopardy. I sat down this morning to call to cancel and to let the census department know why.

First, I checked my email, only to find my appointment had been canceled. Relevant portion:

You are receiving this email to inform you that your fingerprinting appointment on March 19, 2020 at 01:22 PM at TN-0536-Knoxville-Office Depot has been CANCELED.

Beginning Wednesday, March 18th, in support of guidance on what we can all do to help slow the spread of coronavirus, 2020 Census field operations will be suspended for two weeks until April 1, 2020. The Census Bureau is taking this step to help protect the health and safety of the American public, Census Bureau employees, and everyone going through the hiring process for temporary census taker positions. In support of protecting the public and you, all fingerprinting operations are suspended effective today. This is a temporary suspension and while your current fingerprinting appointment has been canceled, please check the fingerprint website on April 1, 2020 to reschedule your appointment (https://fingerprint.2020census.gov).

Yeah I need to reschedule my appointment at DFW for my Global Entry interview. Not gonna be making that trip for a month or two.

Yeah, when it’s over, whatever that looks like, normal will be something quite different.

I think you give the average human too much credit. It might be a slower ramp but eventually people will be back to their ways.

Bill collectors are gonna busy when the dust settles, I bet every patient that passes through an ICU will be billed at least $10k to $50k a day.

I think you give the average human too much credit. It might be a slower ramp but eventually people will be back to their ways.

I have a feeling electronic meetings will become a lot more acceptable. We are already seeing how much more efficient and easier they are.

In the 1918 pandemic, roughly 50 million.
Well aware of the Spanish Flu. Affected the 20-30 age range as they did not have the historically acquired immunity. Sanitation was a joke. Different times/situation. But, Not what I was asking. But keep being afraid. That is what You are supposed to do, right?

We had two Computer Science degrees - BA and BS. The BS degree is the one that eventually became the Computer Engineering degree. I don't know if they still have two CS degrees.

I just checked:

From the School of Engineering: BS in Computer Science, and BS in Computer Engineering

I couldn't find a BA in Computer Science, so that's either been dropped or blended into something else. My guess is the BA Computer Science became the BS, and the BS became the Computer Engineering.

I went to MSU,,,,,,,(“make s%#t up”).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back