Prepping for the Oral and Practical

Aaron Trueblood

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MontanaPilot21
Hi all. I'm taking my oral and practical test on March 28 and was wondering if anyone had tips for studying for these tests, besides just going out and flying. I'm feeling confident in my knowledge because I passed the written with a 88%.

i asked the chief pilot at the school to conduct a practice oral and check-ride. he didn't ho easy and it built my confidence.

DPEs often have a few favorite questions and scenarios for the oral. Talk with someone who recently used the same DPE and see what he advises.

Know the ACS.
That’s it right there. You basically are given the questions to the test right there. Walk down each line and openly talk about it at length. Take a look at your local maps too. My DPE got me on a weird MEA that existed with a discrepancy between the gps and the vor if I remember from a flight planning conversation

x2 on knowing the ACS. That’s the testing document right there.
If you can comfortably answer all the questions than can be posed from the first sections, you’ll ace the oral.

Other big tip is tab all the relevant parts of the FAR/AIM well enough that you’d think there is a naked piñata somewhere and you can find the bit you need.

DPEs often have a few favorite questions and scenarios for the oral. Talk with someone who recently used the same DPE and see what he advises.

Spot on. I asked a guy who had just done his oral with the DPE, and there were a few trick questions that I navigated well, as well as a few watch outs on the scenario that he gave us. Was VERY helpful.

The ACS/PTS is basically the questions to “the test”

Do a mock check ride with your CFI, relax, if you suck you will fail, and rightfully so, if you got it you’ll pass, no need to worry.

Presuming you are renting the plane in which you're taking the exam, be certain the business offers up all the documentation you'll need, and be able to show that the birdie is airworthy. More than one person has had to re-take because a plane had a problem that the business didn't see as "serious" or had paperwork out of spec.

Presuming you are renting the plane in which you're taking the exam, be certain the business offers up all the documentation you'll need, and be able to show that the birdie is airworthy. More than one person has had to re-take because a plane had a problem that the business didn't see as "serious" or had paperwork out of spec.
Literally touch each piece of paperwork you need to have!!! I know a guy who forgot his pilots license for an instrument ride...

Literally touch each piece of paperwork you need to have!!! I know a guy who forgot his pilots license for an instrument ride...
Pro tip related to this.

I have a “check ride” binder with several of the plastic page holders. First one or two hold my identity items. Next is an envelope with the payment. Next is my written exam(s) with the “wrong answer codes” decided. Next are photocopies of the required endorsements (I still have actual paper logbook tabbed and immediately available). Finally, a printed copy of the instructor signed IACRA form, in case the online is not accessible.

Next section is any items I was asked to prepare in advance such as W&B, flight plans, etc.

Last section is anything I printed out in advance from various sources that I want to have for the exam.

End result is I have a binder cross checked against the ACS checklist that has all the items I need to get the exam started. Plus some extra

Tabbing is a big tip? The FAR/AIM has an index/table of contents that makes it pretty easy to find things. Tabbing shouldn't be necessary.
Shouldn’t be. But really helps. And in more ways than just having a tab attached to the page.

This is probably the best tip so far. Just answer the question.
Rabbit trails and being handed the rope that will hang you gets ya in trouble each and every time.

(now if I could just plead the 5th amendment when I can’t remember the right answer)

We had one DPE known as "Easy name", and we had one that was often avoided because he just knew if you were good or not. Good guy, I took my practical with him, and even spun the Skyhawk for him (back when you could.)
If you know how to fly, and know how to navigate and communicate, no worries.

Tabbing is a big tip? The FAR/AIM has an index/table of contents that makes it pretty easy to find things. Tabbing shouldn't be necessary.

Yes, but it was very helpful for me. The act of highlighting the key rules in each key section and then tabbing with a mini post it note and writing the key on the post it note really help solidify the information. I easily flipped to the key section when needed, but felt very confident in knowing the answer half the time and didn't need to open the FAR AIM. When I did I went immediately to the section with my tabs.

If you find yourself looking up every answer via the table of contents you're not ready yet IMHO.

Get the book "Oral Exam Guide" (the blue book) by ASA, eleventh edition I think is the current one. This was an extremely helpful review.

Do a mock check ride with your CFI, I did and it was lot more challenging than the actual ride

Do a mock check ride with your CFI, I did and it was lot more challenging than the actual ride
Spot on. A mock check ride and a mock oral, which includes having ALL maintenance, AD’s, and documentation on the table in front of you and you being able to touch, point to, and understand each part. Be able to answer thing like if an annual was done before the next 100 hour check, when is the next 100 hour check due. And then point to the log book entries to show when something is due

Spot on. A mock check ride and a mock oral, which includes having ALL maintenance, AD’s, and documentation on the table in front of you and you being able to touch, point to, and understand each part. Be able to answer thing like if an annual was done before the next 100 hour check, when is the next 100 hour check due. And then point to the log book entries to show when something is due
I would add, if possible do the mock checkride with a CFI you’ve never flown with. I was super comfortable with a few of the instructors during my training as I didn’t always get to stick with my primary CFI due to scheduling. Flying with an unknown person or a person that intimidates you is a great way to prep for the DPE. You’ve also never flown with them so most of the anxiety you’ll get from him or her you’ll likely get with an unknown CFI.

EFB's tend to cause problems on the Oral, because they don't tell you what they are doing in the back ground. Trying to explain navigation basics or even finding basic navigation information using an EFB can be challenging. If you can do it, it shows an exceptional understanding of the Navigation principles but is often requires a better understand than what the ACS or most examiners require.

A couple gotcha type questions that are easy on paper and can be challenging on some EFB's.

What is the True Course from the airport to the corner of this lake (not a defined waypoint)?
What will be the wind correction angle when flying to the corner of that lake?
What would the correction angle be if the winds were from x degrees at x knots?
Is that course shown on a your EFB a Magnetic or True course?

I recently observed and applicant plan his cross country using a paper navigation log.
That is good and I recommend it because it make you think about all the components of navigation that go in to getting a magnetic heading to fly.
But he used his EFB to get the True Course, but didn't realize the EFB was showing him Magnetic course. So then of course he applied the Magnetic variation to that course again, in fact doubling the error (30 degrees now) .

Also know how to read a sectional chart.
pick a random airport and just read every little mark, letter, asterisk of the data and explain what it means. Just read the data block, don't skip around.
On the chart especially around airports you should be able to describe what every marking is. Use of the legend will only be allowed for a few items. This is in part due to how hard it is to find legends on your EFB.

know your airspace, cloud clearances, and required equipment in each airspace.
launch an imaginary rocket at a give point on the map and describe what kind of airspace, equipment and cloud clearance requirement are at each altitude above that airspace. The more complex the airspace the better.

know your minimum required equipment. Tomato Flames. Hint it may help some people to draw an instrument panel. Mark which instruments are electric, which are Vacuum, which require a Pitot system and and which require a static system. Mark on your drawing which are required instruments. Maybe draw and extra little block of instruments that are required in some airplanes, but not yours. If you can draw this from memory you will do fine on the oral.

Know how to explain an Minimum Equipment list. Hint, it has nothing to do with Minimum Equipment.

It may have have sounded like was was bashing EFB's, I wasn't, just pointing out limitations when used during the oral. I highly recommend using one if you are familiar with it during the flight portion of the practical. In fact depending on the airplane you use, it may be required. Use all the tools you have available but always plan for any one tool to fail.

Good luck on you check ride.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

EFB's tend to cause problems on the Oral, because they don't tell you what they are doing in the back ground. Trying to explain navigation basics or even finding basic navigation information using an EFB can be challenging. If you can do it, it shows an exceptional understanding of the Navigation principles but is often requires a better understand than what the ACS or most examiners require.

I agree with this. I am often asked if electronic nav logs are acceptable. The answer is yes, of course they are. But the applicant may be making things unnecessarily challenging for him/herself, as it's not always easy to answer some of the questions you highlighted in your post when the manual calculations were not made in preparation of the nav log.

Ironically, it's probably more challenging to present an electronically-generated nav log than a hand-created one.

I agree with this. I am often asked if electronic nav logs are acceptable. The answer is yes, of course they are. But the applicant may be making things unnecessarily challenging for him/herself, as it's not always easy to answer some of the questions you highlighted in your post when the manual calculations were not made in preparation of the nav log.

Ironically, it's probably more challenging to present an electronically-generated nav log than a hand-created one.

I'm sure this is all true, but my DPE wanted me to plan the way I actually fly, which meant using FF. Now, it's possible that because I had already been a SP for a couple of years, he was less worried about me showing him how to do all the manual calculations. He seemed more interested in how adept I was at using all the tools available in FF.

Thumbs up on this one. When I was a designee back in the day I had to send several applicants back home because they did not bring the aircraft and engine logs.

Bob Gardner

Very important you verify the prop wash reservoir is full before your examination flight.

Very important you verify the prop wash reservoir is full before your examination flight.

...and do not forget to make sure the relative bearing grease has not exceeded its expiration date.

Some examiners are cancelling and not scheduling due to the virus.
One local examiner I spoke with mentioned it was time for his turn in the barrel being observed by the FSDO inspector and having the virus creating difficulty to schedule that. He said that if the observation is t scheduled in the next 14-ish days, he times out and can't do check rides until the observation is scheduled and completed

Back