I was lost

L

Lost one

I'm 82, live on an airpark, have 2 planes and am an IA.
Tonight I was watching the news with my wife. When the news ended, I told my wife that I was a bit congested and was going to get some nasal spray.

I stood up and for about 10 seconds, I was lost! I didn't know which way to go, where I was, what I was going to do--- nada!

Do I have a problem? Is it time to bag it?

Nothing like this has ever occurred to me before.

I do admit to my thinking having slowed down a bit, but I'm still smarter than most. :)

I don’t know who you are or where you are, or what you’re going to do either, so I guess we’re both in trouble.

82 years of cognizance, 10 seconds of being lost. Not a bad ratio.

You have noted it, you will watch it (and everything else) going forward, you will consult with your Primary Care Doc as required, and your AME if needed.

Get it looked at right now. Yes it could be nothing, but.... why take the chance. It could be a TIA(transient ischemic attack) which could be a precursor to a stroke. Your brain was not getting enough blood for 10 secs, it has never happened in the previous 82 yrs. now is not a time to be worried about flying, or to be gambling with your brain. Hope I follow this advice and not play Russian roulette. After a complete vascular work up, then one can get an answer.

Go see your Doctor, might be time to be flying with another ratedpilot.

Who over, say the age of 60 (even 50), can say they've never walked into a room fully intending on doing something specific and forgetting WTF they were going to do?

OP: (for now) monitor don't panic... IMHO

Never said to quit flying ,that’s your personal choice.

Did you ask for directions while you were lost? If you did, time to turn in your man card....but OK to keep flying

were you then able to get a bowl....and find the vanilla ice cream? You'll be fine fella. ;)

I’m 46 and this has happened to me . . . Every week? I get up to do something very specific and there is some distraction and . . . POOF.

I’m thinking “WTF?” What was I going to do? Usually it is something that HAS to get done and I can’t remember for several beats.

I go into my workshop to get something, and then I can't remember what I came in there for. Should I see a doctor, and quit flying?

I’ve heard as people get older, they start believing in the hereafter.

Like in your case, when you go to your workshop, and then wonder “What am I here after?”

As to when to worry, Karen tells me that if I misplace my keys, that’s normal. If I ever forget what they’re for, that’s problematic.

Like painless, orthostatic hypotension was my first thought. Might be a good idea to test for low blood pressure or other cardiac issues if it’s an ongoing issue.

Last edited:
I go into my workshop to get something, and then I can't remember what I came in there for. Should I see a doctor, and quit flying?
I would say that’s a little different than not knowing where you are, as the OP stated in the first post. You know you are in your workshop...

When my father got older, he complained of such things. We told him that he'd always been that way, but was now simply more cognizant of such occurances.

My father talked about this happening once at home. He said he knew he was in a house and sitting in a chair, but he had the sense that he needed to get up and figure out how to get home. He had no clue who owned the house or where the house was. He described it as terrifying.

I suspect he was headed toward Alzheimer, except his kidneys and liver got him first.

If you are lost again and see a light. DON'T GO TO THE LIGHT. I REPEAT DO NOT GO TO THE LIGHT. :D

Dang I hope I am flying at 82. Hec, hope I am breathing at 82.

I'de fly with you. ;)

Happens to me occasionally in the middle of the night when I get up to go to the bathroom. I usually figure it out after a few seconds, sometimes after starting off in the wrong direction! :<)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back