Possible treatment for Covid-19

There is a very good video that goes into the science of that, along with another that discusses ARBs/ACE inhibitors. @TangoWhiskey posted the link on FB.

What is interesting is that the Chinese were giving 2 doses per day and the South Koreans were giving just one. Sure would be cool as it's been well studied already. Msybe but enough time until the vaccine is available.

Here's the video with the science of this:

For a younger person who was otherwise healthy, taking this as "prophy" would likely be worse than a COVID infection. But for oldies such as myself ... hey, I'm in.

But no Corona beer!!!!
iu

Hey look a cheap way to possibly create a vaccine..can't wait until they mark the price up 10,000%.

For a younger person who was otherwise healthy, taking this as "prophy" would likely be worse than a COVID infection. But for oldies such as myself ... hey, I'm in.
IIRC that was the stuff they issued to us when I served in Vietnam. Big orange pills - that upset my stomach. There were always bottles of them on the tables in the mess hall - along with the condiments.

Dave

I wonder what the infection rate is for all the rheumatoid arthritis patients who are already taking hydroxychloroquine on a daily basis?

There is enough evidence that hydroxychloroquine is safe and reasonably effective for this that Trump should order pharma to mass production of it immediately. It is cheap enough to make that even if we get a little farther in the research and find out that we shouldn't use it for this, we can throw it out. We need to have it on-hand asap to distribute rather than wait weeks to spool up production.

There is enough evidence that hydroxychloroquine is safe and reasonably effective for this that Trump should order pharma to mass production of it immediately. It is cheap enough to make that even if we get a little farther in the research and find out that we shouldn't use it for this, we can throw it out. We need to have it on-hand asap to distribute rather than wait weeks to spool up production.

Trump is speaking about this right now.

I am pretty sure that if this can get past the FDA slowing it down the free market will take care if it being manufactured as rapidly as possible. Hope Trump will helps clear the way.

There is also news from Japan that one of their existing flu vaccines appears to have an effect on the virus.

I am pretty sure that if this can get past the FDA slowing it down the free market will take care if it being manufactured as rapidly as possible. Hope Trump will helps clear the way.

There is nothing stopping the free market from doing it right now purely on speculation of use. It is completely legal for the drug companies to make as much of this as they want right now. There is no incentive for them to do it unless the government says they will pay for it. It is a cheap drug to make, and sells cheap, there isn't much profit in it. US pharma's record on doing things without a solid profit motive isn't really strong.

Trump announced that the FDA has cleared the way immediately for prescription for use.

There is no incentive for them to do it unless the government says they will pay for it. It is a cheap drug to make, and sells cheap, there isn't much profit in it. US pharma's record on doing things without a solid profit motive isn't really strong.
Give them a 10-yr tax break and there will be plenty of incentive. ;)

If it is cheap and easy enough to produce they should do it out of good will. Before you laugh the drug companies have been given a bad name lately it would seem they could really help their PR by just producing this in mass and giving it away. The cost would be far less than those commercials they run constantly on the TV.

If it is cheap and easy enough to produce they should do it out of good will. Before you laugh the drug companies have been given a bad name lately it would seem they could really help their PR by just producing this in mass and giving it away. The cost would be far less than those commercials they run constantly on the TV.

They can halt production of boner pills and ramp up this stuff.

There is nothing stopping the free market from doing it right now purely on speculation of use. It is completely legal for the drug companies to make as much of this as they want right now. There is no incentive for them to do it unless the government says they will pay for it. It is a cheap drug to make, and sells cheap, there isn't much profit in it. US pharma's record on doing things without a solid profit motive isn't really strong.

It has only recently, like last few days, had fair evidence of efficacy. If the FDA has cleared it, I don’t imagine there will be a shortage. Either for profit or charity organizations will likely be producing as much as needed.

Bear in mind though that at least the anti-malarials are fairly nasty drugs with a lot of side effects. People probably won’t be popping these just because they may have been exposed.

Trump announced that the FDA has cleared the way immediately for prescription for use.

Appears there may some delay “While Trump said that choloroquine would be available for COVID-19 treatment "immediately," the MSNBC and Bloomberg reports that the FDA has said the drugs need further testing before they are approved.”

It has only recently, like last few days, had fair evidence of efficacy. If the FDA has cleared it, I don’t imagine there will be a shortage. Either for profit or charity organizations will likely be producing as much as needed.

Bear in mind though that at least the anti-malarials are fairly nasty drugs with a lot of side effects. People probably won’t be popping these just because they may have been exposed.

The Chinese have known of it's efficacy since mid-February:
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-02/17/c_138792545.htm

The significant side effects from chloroquine I've been able to find are all from long-term exposure, not the acute-treatment dosages that would be given for COVID-19.

And now Bayer is saying they are sending 3,000,000 tablets of their chloroquine medication to the U.S., so there has to be a lot to this.

Back