Coronavirus hysteria is hurting every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not. The current "crisis" is being overblown and way out of proportion. Facts are the flu has had a more dire effect, yet we didn't see the extremes happening we see now. Even the swine flu was more devastating, and yet most don't remember it because the media and social media wasn't hyping it 24/7.

As far as risk mitigation and piloting, this would be lock the plane in the hangar and don't fly because of scattered afternoon thunderstorms. o_O

Yes, by definition, it IS straw mannish.

Whether or not the crisis is overblown is open to opinion. The thing that we are trying to avoid is overwhelming the healthcare system. And as far as comparing historical flu outbreaks and "now", well, the wave hasn't hit yet so that isn't a valid comparison as of this date. Maybe later, but not now. It's not a statistically valid comparison.

We should maybe also try to put this into perspective:

- 9/11: 2,977 victims
- Vietnam war: 58,220 American military casualties
- WW II: 407,300 American military casualties
- Dallas, TX population: ~ 1.2 mio

And now some people are seriously suggesting that we should just shrug our shoulders because of COVID-19, which has, according to our very own CDC, the potential to kill up to 1.7 mio people and to require hospitalization for at least 10 times as many, for what we are not the least prepared!? :eek::confused:

Yup. But I am washing my hands more often. This ain’t nothing. There is way, way worse coming.

Last edited:
According to my son, based on extensive experience with 'Plague Inc', Greenland is the place to be.

Until yesterday West Virginia was that place, but the health department just notified me that they have started testing so it wont be long until we see a surge in cases.

Our grandkids, ages 8 and 10, were already on Spring Break, and Karen had hoped to take them on a road trip to FL, hitting the Tampa and Melbourne areas. About a week ago that started to seem like a bad idea and she canceled. Now, just pretty much homing in, right now in N GA, but also shuttling back and forth to our TN home and practicing "social distancing" and good hygiene as much as possible.

To those putting 'crisis' or 'pandemic' in scare quotes should be ashamed of themselves. Within a month people may be dying on gurneys in hospital parking lots struggling to take one more breath with no ventilators available. Whether they're elderly or not is irrelevant, as are other causes of death. How bad this will become depends a LOT on actions we take now as individuals - don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Last year 'only' 36,560 people have died in car accidents: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor..._by_year#Motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

Still, measures are taken to further lower the fatality rates: Speed limits, driver's education, higher safety standards for new vehicles (which cost us money, btw.), not text and driving, seat belts etc...

Here’s the thing, it’s rare for those to make the national news.
But I’m willing to bet a Gulfstream G650 that when we develop true self driving car, the first few fatalities will become national news, with probably sensational headlines. Terminator cars!

Unfortunately this seems a situation that will be replicated everywhere.
The "transactional economy" can partially shift to distributed work from home. For a while.
The "productive economy" (physical goods related) has less ability to do so.
Right now we are aggressively shedding fixed costs such as equipment leases & rentals in an effort to try to conserve enough cash to get through this.
But if it lasts for months, with the type of lockdowns going on in Europe, it's going to get very ugly. A lot of businesses risk going under if this drags out.
I've seen forecasts of up to 10 million US job losses.

Lower interest rates and increased liquidity from Central Banks isn't going to be enough to offset the effects on the economy of health department closure orders.

This will spark a civil war.

I disagree. I have read and understand. Wife floor nurse, me chemist, I understand science. You, Go buy more TP.

Lmao. I actually just did the TP run and bought one pack. We were down to just a few days left...
Anyway, I am a computer scientist; and come from a family where I am the only one without post grad degrees. And yet I defer to the experts.
This book may change your opinion. I never did finish it, but read enough that my perspective did change.
https://www.amazon.com/Death-Expertise-Campaign-Established-Knowledge/dp/0190469412

Tim

Lmao. I actually just did the TP run and bought one pack. We were down to just a few days left...
Anyway, I am a computer scientist.

Tim

Good that you got the TP.

You know they just put scientist after the word computer to make you guys feel better. kind a like calling somebody a social scientist or psychology a science.

You know they just put scientist after the word computer to make you guys feel better. kind a like calling somebody a social scientist or psychology a science.

lol. And you just demonstrated your lack of knowledge of my field; yet you probably did a quick internet search to validate your preconceived opinions.

Tim

This will spark a civil war.

Doubtful, at some point as data rolls in a cost benefit analysis will be made.

Hopefully one outcome of this situation is for Americans to change to healthier lifestyles.

Doubtful, at some point as data rolls in a cost benefit analysis will be made.

Hopefully one outcome of this situation is for Americans to change to healthier lifestyles.

I hope that is the case, but if we (the government) continues down this path, we are headed for a real life apocalyptic downfall.

And our restaurants and bars are closed now, carry out only. I'm not sure how this "carry out" will work for a lot of places other than any place that already has a drive-through.

Yesterday I was talking with the manager of a local bar and grill that does a pretty good lunch business. He said he expected to get shut down sometime this week. His biggest concern was with the ability of his staff to be able to live without a paycheck until they could re-open.

Pretty much all service and retail is going to be shut down now - either by order or because nobody is going to their store. If delivery companies (UPS, FedEx, and even USPS) shut down there's not going to be a way to even order anything online. And what if Amazon closes their fulfillment warehouses? If grocery stores get shut down because of social distancing concerns, then I dunno what will happen, have drive through food banks?

As far as I know our liquor stores are still open.

Our grocery stores sell booze, (0600-2359)

Lucky bastard. Only wine and beer here. Liquor stores closed all day Sunday and no package beer/wine sales before noon Sunday.

Went to get some groceries over lunch today, still no paper products but a car was on fire in the parking lot so..there was that.

Lucky bastard. Only wine and beer here. Liquor stores closed all day Sunday and no package beer/wine sales before noon Sunday.
Our grocery stores, on the Kansas side, can sell beer. On the Missouri side they can sell anything.

On the KS side the liquor stores are open Sundays, I'm pretty sure the MO side is the same.

Nah, it's just to differentiate them from us Computer Engineers. (And yes, I did even take like 2 Engineering classes to get that degree.)

Nah, it's just to differentiate them from us Computer Engineers. (And yes, I did even take like 2 Engineering classes to get that degree.)
My degree is Computer Science. At the time I graduated, the CS department was still being weaned off from the Math department. It was starting to get moved into the Engineering department. If I had gone to that school a year or two later I would have had a Computer Engineering degree, but at the time that degree didn't exist there.

Well, that does it. My local donut shop is closed down indefinitely. The horror...

We deal with the NAVY exchange, we buy our booze dis-count.

Class Six is my preferred place, but it’s way inconvenient for me to head over there routinely. If I’m on base for a medical appointment, I’ll stop by and pick up whatever we’re short on though.

Well, that does it. My local donut shop is closed down indefinitely. The horror...
I wonder about places like QuikTrip? They profit more from the food and other items they sell inside than they do the gas they sell outside. It's pretty common to see a LOT of workers there in the mornings getting breakfast, a case of water bottles for the crew for the day, and then lunch around mid-day.

Where did you get your data? A quick search came up with something different.
But the US data is from 11 years ago and the Asian data is from 3 years ago. Not the most accurate, but not sure if the other data is any different.

My degree is Computer Science. At the time I graduated, the CS department was still being weaned off from the Math department. It was starting to get moved into the Engineering department. If I had gone to that school a year or two later I would have had a Computer Engineering degree, but at the time that degree didn't exist there.

To be fair there were actually 3 degrees with 'Computer' in the title where I went to college: Computer Science(a degree from the college of Letters and Sciences) Computer Science Engineering(my degree from the school of Engineering) and Computer Engineering(also from the school of Engineering, with much more emphasis on the Engineering part)

Psychology is a science; it wouldn't work at all if humans weren't predictable. But humans are very, very predictable (as are all animals). Criminals, governments, and ad agencies have relied upon that fact for eons.
BTW, the real danger isn't wide-spread sickness from which most will recover; it's having sooooo many copies of this virus that a truly nasty mutation will occur. As nature works, most mutations hurt rather than help an organism. But with hundreds of trillions of copies, just one that causes real sickness in younger people could devastate the earth if it gets loose. In my life I've never worried about any other virus; I also know the numbers, as some like to say, and truly understand that what is happening now hasn't happened before in my 63 years.

To be fair there were actually 3 degrees with 'Computer' in the title where I went to college: Computer Science(a degree from the college of Letters and Sciences) Computer Science Engineering(my degree from the school of Engineering) and Computer Engineering(also from the school of Engineering, with much more emphasis on the Engineering part)
We had two Computer Science degrees - BA and BS. The BS degree is the one that eventually became the Computer Engineering degree. I don't know if they still have two CS degrees.

I just checked:

From the School of Engineering: BS in Computer Science, and BS in Computer Engineering

I couldn't find a BA in Computer Science, so that's either been dropped or blended into something else. My guess is the BA Computer Science became the BS, and the BS became the Computer Engineering.

So it's okay to cause mass starvation by cutting off the food supply network?

Wars get started over crap like this.

I wonder about places like QuikTrip? They profit more from the food and other items they sell inside than they do the gas they sell outside. It's pretty common to see a LOT of workers there in the mornings getting breakfast, a case of water bottles for the crew for the day, and then lunch around mid-day.

QT will be fine. They still make plenty off of the gasoline, even if it's not as profitable as the food/drink items. Easy solution in the short term is to raise fuel prices a few cents to help cover costs.

https://www.gisaid.org/epiflu-applications/global-cases-covid-19/

Been watching this off and on all day (not a lot to do at work right now with all of this). Globally since this morning, 13,000 new diagnosis, and several hundred deaths being reported. Not sure where all the deaths have been reported, this tool doesn't give a lot of search options. I know the US went from 79 to 94 so far today.

Psychology is a science; it wouldn't work at all if humans weren't predictable. But humans are very, very predictable (as are all animals). Criminals, governments, and ad agencies have relied upon that fact for eons.
BTW, the real danger isn't wide-spread sickness from which most will recover; it's having sooooo many copies of this virus that a truly nasty mutation will occur. As nature works, most mutations hurt rather than help an organism. But with hundreds of trillions of copies, just one that causes real sickness in younger people could devastate the earth if it gets loose. In my life I've never worried about any other virus; I also know the numbers, as some like to say, and truly understand that what is happening now hasn't happened before in my 63 years.
If psychology is a science, how do you get An expert psychological witness for the defense and an expert psychological witness for the prosecution to come up with two completely different answers to the same question?
I’ve taken psychology classes. Its bs. Psychological experimenters are delighted when they get a correlation coefficient of 0.6. Where The chemist would call that a failure and wonder what went wrong.

I'm tired of every ****snack company I've done business with in the last 15 years emailing me to inform me about their coronavirus strategy.

Perhaps we should bar any torts against any entity in their dealing with this stuff, across the board, since clearly nobody has a correct answer, and "limiting potential liability" has come to the fore. Rationally so, since some idiot wrongful death lawsuit has the most harm potential, financially ("you didn't let your minimum wage cashier work from home, you owe us all the $moneys!"). Then companies can stop covering their ass and start covering their balance sheet and solving real problems, not perceived ones. And those lovely attorneys looking feverishly for pockets to burn can find something else to do. Like die of a respiratory infection.

Our grandkids, ages 8 and 10, were already on Spring Break, and Karen had hoped to take them on a road trip to FL, hitting the Tampa and Melbourne areas. About a week ago that started to seem like a bad idea and she canceled. Now, just pretty much homing in, right now in N GA, but also shuttling back and forth to our TN home and practicing "social distancing" and good hygiene as much as possible.

To those putting 'crisis' or 'pandemic' in scare quotes should be ashamed of themselves. Within a month people may be dying on gurneys in hospital parking lots struggling to take one more breath with no ventilators available. Whether they're elderly or not is irrelevant, as are other causes of death. How bad this will become depends a LOT on actions we take now as individuals - don't let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Not attacking you or anyone but just consider immunity for a minute, everything that the government has done is basically having negative affects on people’s immunity. We have crap tons of panic and uncertainty about infection and the consequence alone, now they just basically threw a huge chunk of the population on unemployment creating HUGE financial stresses, voiced by some of our very own members on this board.

45%+ of the over 40 years of age population are obese. Huge % of the population are nutrient deficient in some way, Vitamin D being high on the list coming out of winter, among many other issues. Couple that with diabetes and pre-diabetes, aka metabolic syndrome. Very large population of elderly and over 65... telling extroverts they need to social distance, another great plan

it’s almost like the media is cheering on the virus more than anything, intended or not.

45%+ of the over 40 years of age population are obese. Huge % of the population are nutrient deficient in some way, Vitamin D being high on the list coming out of winter, among many other issues. Couple that with diabetes and pre-diabetes, aka metabolic syndrome. Very large population of elderly and over 65...

And your point is???

We just got word that the KS Governor has ordered all public K-12 schools closed for the remainder of the school year. They were already planned to be closed for at least another week, so they have some time to figure out how they are going to work this and how to get the Seniors to graduation.

I was starting to go crazy with sources of cooked food down to the Scheetz gas station. Roads are empty , everyone hunkered down even though the closest case of 'community spread' is 80 miles down the road. So I drove 20min into WV and found a Denny's where it is 'business as usual'. The usual crowd, old folks, families and more old folks. Now they are keeping people spaced through the restaurant and there is a staff member whose only job is to clean tables and chairs after each party, other than that it's normal.

If you hear the world is coming to an end, come to WV, the end will arrive a bit later ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back