Get really tired when flying?

asmith2023

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Peaches
Whenever I fly, I get really tired. Then afterwards I'm exhausted. I am just a student so I have not flown that much, so would this be something I will grow out of? Any suggestions?

Two words...”go pills.” Works wonders for acute fatigue.

Just joking of course. You’re tired because you’re working your butt off mentally and possibly, physically. A little bit of anxiety involved as well. Over time this will pass and you won’t feel so worn out after a flight. Probably start to get better right before checkride.

I remember instructing students in the Army, they would come back soaked with sweat. “Sir, could you turn the heater off.” Heater wasn’t even on. :D

It's stress. I've been flying 30 years and I'm tired after an an hour and a half flight.

May also have something to do with dehydration and reduced no oxygen, depending on altitude.

Yeah, you're just working hard. It's normal. When you finally catch up to the task, you won't be so drained after a flight. Primary flight training is stressful for the majority of folks. It gets better/less busy.

Do lots of aerobic exercise. Run at least a mile a day.

You will be tired all the time and it won't seem related to flying. Eat when you are hungry.

You'll feel better after a while...

If the CO detector is one of those cardboard things, check that it’s not expired. They really do have a limited,life. And stay hydrated.
It’s not unusual to be tired. The level of concentration takes a toll.
Altitude can also an issue with reduced O2 contributing to being tired.

I’m the only one getting tired, my flight instructor isn’t so I don’t think it’s expired... so do you think that this would be something I’ll get over?

Yeah, you're just working hard. It's normal. When you finally catch up to the task, you won't be so drained after a flight. Primary flight training is stressful for the majority of folks. It gets better/less busy.

Exactly. The only time I can remember being as physically and mentally drained as after some early flight training (and then later instrument) was SCCA track days and learning how to not be a buffoon on the track.

I think it's just the degree of focus as a student. It's all new so the simplest tasks take a lot of mental energy.

These days, I don't get that tired flying, but I do when instructing, for the same reason :D

Whenever I fly, I get really tired. Then afterwards I'm exhausted. I am just a student so I have not flown that much, so would this be something I will grow out of? Any suggestions?

Sounds like your adrenals are wound up tight.

It is most likely a combination of concentration, dehydration, and reduced oxygen (altitude). Like any activity the more you do it he more conditioned you will be.

Glider flying emphasizes the concentration and higher altitudes. I usually only fly about 6 months out of the year (best soaring weather/season). Even after 25 years of flying gliders the 1st few flights of the season tend to wipe me out, about a 3 hour flight is about the max I want to do. This even though I am flying power aircraft about 35 hours per month. By the end of the soaring season, 6-7 hour flights are pretty easy to do. Then I take. A 6 month break and start over. Been spending more time at the gym this year and have started using O2 above 5000 feet (I am getting older) so maybe I can start out with the 4-5 hour flights.

yes, it's common at your stage.
^ This.

Drink lots of water, breathe deeply but slowly, and the stress will reduce naturally as you learn more about what you are doing over time. You are putting your body through mental, and physical stresses that are not necessarily extreme but just different than you are used which makes them feel that way. It gets better quickly. We all felt it to some degree during training.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Be sure to stay hydrated - you don't need to take water with you, but keep your hydration level up, dehydration causes fatigue.

I'm going to presume you're not up at a huge altitude, but higher than regular altitude (+10k ft) will also cause fatigue. As will turbulence.

Keep at it - you're working hard and it will get easier when you've got it down and start relaxing a little bit.

You don't say how old you are, or any other factors. The CO monitor is a good start if you're getting a headache also (doubtful as your CFI would be in trouble as well).

I am surprised no one has suggested this, but noise is the biggest contributor to fatigue. Invest in a good ANR headset before you start looking for other reasons for fatigue.

If you are early on in your training, fatigue is common and an experienced instructor will observe the decline in learning and end the lesson.

In this CFI's view, I think it's because cognitively you are "fighting for it", which is exhausting. but I gotta say, the student for whom the "stick" seems natural, scare me a bit. I am much more comfortable with they guy who "fights for it".

If by tired you mean, about to fall asleep, perhaps you should have an ENT or someone similar evaluate you for sleep apnea (the FAA will love it if you did, but they'll make your life hell for the effort). If you mean, wrung through the wringer, you might try alternative instruction or shorter sessions.

Try teaching 18 year old chinese kids who dont speak english, who have never ridden a bicycle or dont have any hand to eye coordination or any motor skills how to fly a plane!

Vibration and noise don’t help either. Not much you can do about the noise (beyond a good headset) but vibration might be in your prop. You probably flying a rental so might have to live with it. Try flying in something different just to compare.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back