Coronavirus hysteria is hurting every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used 9 sheets of Sam's club TP today.
The package has 235 sheets per roll, and 45 rolls.

Math wise, I'm good for 3.21 years on one package... especially if the food runs out.

I've taken a lot of sheets, but not 235 per roll!

images

The top leaders of the travel industry were just advised by government officials to expect and be prepared for a 2 week national quarantine.

Not that I'm doubting it, but do you have a source. I've heard gossip and rumor from my wife's co-worker's cousin's brother-in-law's hairdresser's husband to the same effect.

Personally, I think 6 months from now, we’ll look back and say, man we really overreacted to this. COVID-19 will run its course like other viruses. Won’t be long before it peaks like in China and then starts a downward trend.
It took a LOT of effort on the part of the Chinese to get their new-case numbers headed downward. Much depends on how effective our prevention and response measures turn out to be.

I hope the stock market doesn't see this then...

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics
View the WHO’s infographics on road safety facts.

• Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
  • An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.
(interesting fact) Over 90% of all road fatalities occur in low and middle-income countries, which have less than half of the world’s vehicles.

Annual United States Road Crash Statistics
  • Over 37,000 people die in road crashes each year
  • An additional 2.35 million are injured or disabled
  • Over 1,600 children under 15 years of age die each year

Coronavirus??

View attachment 83637

Yep, and 250,000 die in the US every year just from medical malpractice. China has lost over 3,000 from COVID-19 in 4 months. They lose over 4,000 A DAY due to air pollution.

People need to look at the bigger picture and realize this is a drop in the bucket compared to other ways of dying prematurely. Take precautions but don’t panic.

It took a LOT of effort on the part of the Chinese to get their new-case numbers headed downward. Much depends on how effective our prevention and response measures turn out to be.

I don't know that Americans, even in the current state of panic, will have the tolerance for the containment measures China and Italy implemented.

I hope the stock market doesn't see this then...

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics
View the WHO’s infographics on road safety facts.

• Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
  • An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.
(interesting fact) Over 90% of all road fatalities occur in low and middle-income countries, which have less than half of the world’s vehicles.

Annual United States Road Crash Statistics
  • Over 37,000 people die in road crashes each year
  • An additional 2.35 million are injured or disabled
  • Over 1,600 children under 15 years of age die each year

Coronavirus??

View attachment 83637
Are the number of road crashes doubling every week?

Not that I'm doubting it, but do you have a source. I've heard gossip and rumor from my wife's co-worker's cousin's brother-in-law's hairdresser's husband to the same effect.

First hand from a client that was on the call. There is a ton back channel communications that go out and spread the word among industries before public announcements are made in scenarios like this that allow places like MGM and Wynn in Vegas to shut down ahead of time vs trapping people that are still out and away from home.

Companies like Disney do not just shut down Disneyland voluntarily...they get a heads up of what the imminent next steps will be prior to public announcements.

Yeah, that is counter to the above link but also not uncommon for an administration to put that out before plans are in place to keep panic at bay.

I don't know that Americans, even in the current state of panic, will have the tolerance for the containment measures China and Italy implemented.
The South Koreans also have gotten their new-case numbers headed downward. I don't know all the details of their control measures, but my impression is that they were less draconian than those implemented by the Chinese.

Personally, I think 6 months from now, we’ll look back and say, man we really overreacted to this. COVID-19 will run its course like other viruses. Won’t be long before it peaks like in China and then starts a downward trend.
I really hope so.. and I think you're right, people will realize they over reacted like when states go into full panic lock down over a snow storm that ends up dropping 3 inches and melts in 2 days. After thousands of years people still panic about the unknown

Life sucks.
I'm really sorry man. Nations and leaders are measured by how they react in times of crises. So far we've failed miserably. The economic losses will be massive. Time for the gov to start printing money and keep its people afloat.. deal with the inflation fallout later

I’m at Longhorns right now and it’s a ghost town.
You're lucky. Everything here is closed. Starbucks is open but they ditched all the tables and closed the doors. Most of the restaurants in my neighborhood have signs on the doors that they're closed for 2-3 weeks.. the ones with deeper pockets are still paying an hourly, or part hourly wage. The others, well they're just hoping they can pay their bills long enough to re-open

The top leaders of the travel industry were just advised by government officials to expect and be prepared for a 2 week national quarantine.
I think that's where we are headed. There's a fear that if this goes bonkers the hospitals physically will not be able to handle the influx. I'm personally dubious of that.. but that's the worry

Math wise
Given that I work in data I was very tempted to take inventory of the home and build a burn down dashboard with actual and forecast tracking

Apparently there is panic buying of firearms and ammo now.
https://wtop.com/consumer-news/2020/03/virus-fears-fuel-spike-in-sales-of-guns-and-ammunition/

And some of it seems like overreach - the Maryland governor has called out the National Guard to enforce closing restrictions on restaurants, bars, theaters, and entertainment venues (as well as the restriction against gatherings of 50 or more), CDC recommended that gatherings be kept below 50 - White House recommended 10 or less; Cincinnati mayor decrees that ALL persons must maintain a distance of 6 feet from any other person.

At some point the restrictions will do more harm than good. I don't know whether we're there yet or not.

The point is, no one seems to care if 1.25 million people die every year...as long as it's auto deaths and not covid-19.
That's an argument I see a lot these days. I don't know what the numbers are, but assuming yours are correct - just because one problem causes a large number of deaths and is being inadequately resolved, it doesn't follow that we should ignore other problems with high death rates.

Heath Ledger's Joker character in The Dark Knight summed it up best.

original.jpg

Went to the grocery store today around 11am. Shelves were pretty well stocked besides cleaning supplies and toilet paper. Starting at 8pm all restaurants and bars in NY will be closing until further notice. Delivery is still available. Time to apply as an uber eats driver!

That's an argument I see a lot these days. I don't know what the numbers are, but assuming yours are correct - just because one problem causes a large number of deaths and is being inadequately resolved, it doesn't follow that we should ignore other problems with high death rates.

I 1000% agree. What's funny to me is that 1.25 million deaths per year proven by annual numbers, is business as usual.. but the 'thought' of a million 'possible' deaths is a global meltdown.

Reactions: cdb
I 1000% agree. What's funny to me is that 1.25 million deaths per year proven by annual numbers, is business as usual.. but the 'thought' of a million 'possible' deaths is a global meltdown.
I get where you're coming from. But in this example, there isn't much we can do about automobile fatalities. People already complain about loss of the freedoms. People wouldn't stand for further driving restrictions. With this health problem, there is something we can do. Yes, it comes with a price, but in the long run may be the cheapest way out.

If people get sick, they're going to go for medical help. If we overwhelm the hospitals, we just exacerbate the problem. I just don't think we can reasonably compare this to deaths from other causes.

Ok. What is a high death rate?

/rant
I am going to be in panic mode soon most likely. I just got off the phone with HR at my soon to be new job. Instead of starting March 30th, the earliest start date would be April 20th now.

Yeah, we pushed a lady's start date from today to March 30. When we hired her she told us she didn't want to start until 3/16 because she had a spring break trip planned. So Friday asked if by chance she had gone out of the country. She said she had just returned from Holland. If she was an employee we would have told her to quarantine for 2 weeks; instead we just pushed her start date.

Anyone else suspect that the great space in Asia, with only one dot in it, is a bit suspect?

-Skip

I've been thinking the same thing.

Tortilla chips are tortilla chips.

No they are not! But that is a discussion for another time and place.

Ok. What is a high death rate?
I don't think there is an objective answer to that. And with all due respect, I don't think it's particularly important to my comment. Whatever you would consider "high", I'm good with that.

The point is, no one seems to care if 1.25 million people die every year...as long as it's auto deaths and not covid-19.
What an absolutely ignorant statement. Everyone and I mean everyone absolutely cares about those numbers. Everyone. That is why we have lots of laws regulating who can hold a drivers license and who cannot. That is why we have lots of officers policing the roads and doing things like conducting roadside sobriety checkpoints. That is why we have laws that require auto manufacturers to have certain safety devices on every car they sell. In short, that is why we put tons of effort into getting that number lower.

This virus has very real potential to kill many more than 1.25 million people this year if it is left unchecked. The actions being taken by government that I've seen so far are very appropriate given the risks we are facing.

What an absolutely ignorant statement. Everyone and I mean everyone absolutely cares about those numbers. Everyone. That is why we have lots of laws regulating who can hold a drivers license and who cannot. That is why we have lots of officers policing the roads and doing things like conducting roadside sobriety checkpoints. That is why we have laws that require auto manufacturers to have certain safety devices on every car they sell. In short, that is why we put tons of effort into getting that number lower.

This virus has very real potential to kill many more than 1.25 million people this year if it is left unchecked. The actions being taken by government that I've seen so far are very appropriate given the risks we are facing.
BS, You still aren’t scaring me. You can be scared. I am still going to work, fly my plane, drink beer with friends. If I catch it, which I may as my wife is a floor nurse, oh well. I have been sick before. I will be sick again. This bug just isn’t that scary to me. Not like it is some hemorrhagic fever. It is the flu. Big hairy deal. But don’t let me stop y’all from being scared

Same here, I also have boxes of MRE's and still some equipment from my days in the military. (pro masks and what not.) It is a bit crazy here in Alabama. we just got the state of emergency and the schools state wide are closed.
Not to mention Costco, sam's club and Wal-mart are insane right now. People are fighting over toilet paper.

The silver lining in MRE's, you won't need TP because you ain't poopin'.

BS, You still aren’t scaring me. You can be scared. I am still going to work, fly my plane, drink beer with friends. If I catch it, which I may as my wife is a floor nurse, oh well. I have been sick before. I will be sick again. This bug just isn’t that scary to me. Not like it is some hemorrhagic fever. It is the flu. Big hairy deal. But don’t let me stop y’all from being scared
Did I say I was scared? You're assuming that. You should not make assumptions about things you no know nothing about. I am not scared. I am still going to work. I am taking appropriate precautions at home and at work so as to minimize my chances of contracting and therefore minimize my chances of spreading infection to coworkers who may be less able to weather an infection than I.

That would be the equivalent of doubling the number of traffic deaths. I think people would sit up and take notice if they were told that was going to happen.

Did I say I was scared? You're assuming that. You should not make assumptions about things you no know nothing about. I am not scared. I am still going to work. I am taking appropriate precautions at home and at work so as to minimize my chances of contracting and therefore minimize my chances of spreading infection to coworkers who may be less able to weather an infection than I.
You sounded scared to me “(+1.25 mil dead if left unchecked)”. My apologies.

The evidence so far suggests that the death rate per case is far higher than the flu. If better data comes along that proves otherwise, we can celebrate together. Until then, the point of recognizing the danger implicit in the currently-available statistics is not to make people scared, it's to get people to take appropriate action.

The evidence so far suggests that the death rate per case is far higher than the flu.

Only if you are over 70 years old, so far. This bug is highly contagious, not necessarily highly lethal. The CDC is run by bureaucrats who say what they are told by their UN handlers... :p:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back