Virus affect on GA

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
GA is not immune to the effects of COVID-19, how is this affecting GA in your area. Not sure it has hit home here yet as people are still flying around and the FBO are still working. What if anything is going on in your area of GA, will this affect the used aircraft market, people to work on GA or whatever. This is not a gloom and doom post, it is only to know what's going on in GA around the country.

All restaurants and bars in the state have just been closed for dine in by order of the Governor here in Washington state. I just called the airport I fly out of and the school that rents planes is still operational. However, with no place to eat they suspect rentals will decline. I was actually thinking of flying my daughter up to Port Townsend to eat at the diner on the field this weekend but now I'll have to call ahead to see if they are doing take out. If so we could still fly up and get a to go bag, maybe eat it there on the grass off the ramp and have a small picnic. If not, it looks like flights will be sightseeing flights.

-edit to add: Just saw that you are in Oak Harbor so your aware of the governors order here in this state. If you want to share a few locations to fly to that might work out from Bremerton I'm all ears. I guess I could fly down to Oregon for a lunch run but I just got my Private ticket and was hoping to keep things a bit closer for a while as I get the family used to being in a small plane and no instructor up front. :)

I'm just happy I can go from my house to my car to my plane to the runway to the skies without interacting with a single person.

I don't think this will be good for GA or anything else...

There is some potential disruption of flight training depending on whether or not you think your instructor or student is ill, but otherwise our local airport is perking along with local owners, flight training, and some military traffic. What we have lost is income from the jet traffic to and from the college, which has closed for the year, in all likelihood. That's gonna hurt financially.

Short term won’t change flying a whole bunch, but the long term economics will make lots of long term, yet to be determined, differences. I think the value of my planes have decreased significantly. I certainly am pleased to be debt free. I would hate to be holding a loan for an airplane or anything else right now.

What about if you are in the market for a used aircraft? Good time to buy or just sit tight?

Hijackers restaurant at KFIN was nearly empty at lunchtime Sunday, having said that the ramp was FULL. Nearly everyone having lunch had flown in. Car parking lot was nearly empty. KSSI was busy, plenty of jets, pistons and people in restaurants and bars. Seems like pilots are flying, Jax approach was so busy Saturday, it took from St Augustine to CRG to pick up flight following. Puppy Mill at KFIN seems to be going full steam.

I fly at least once every week. I'm not seeing any increase or decrease in flying in my area. I haven't tried flying into any of the diners near me. In cold weather getting the Cub started is a crap shoot, so other than T&G and full stop and go I rarely get out of the plane.
Of course, all the social gatherings, club events, and FAA in person classes have been cancelled.

I have heard (but not confirmed) that some GA training schools have suspended flights or at least flights that aren't solo.

We have several people older than 75 at our airport. They are darned healthy but I have purposely been telling them that I'll keep my distance and not setup any group events until things settle. Our building is really small and there is a separate event this weekend. The organizer is hell bent on keeping the meeting. I'm gonna skip and just go fly solo.

I was talking to my future hangar neighbor for the first time on Saturday (fingers still crossed for closing May 1st). I think he's over 75 and in great health. He reached out to shake a hand like a battle hardened Korea war vet. When I didn't shake his hand I got this look like I'm not right in the head. Then I mentioned returning on a commercial flight from Boston 2 days earlier. He seemed to keep his distance after that :)

Wife and I flew yesterday. There were a few people up and about.

I fly at least once every week. I'm not seeing any increase or decrease in flying in my area. I haven't tried flying into any of the diners near me. In cold weather getting the Cub started is a crap shoot, so other than T&G and full stop and go I rarely get out of the plane.
Of course, all the social gatherings, club events, and FAA in person classes have been cancelled.
That's about were I'm at, just waiting for winter to go away. Lots of folks flying here when the weather is clear.

Of course the Alaska Marine Hwy has cut most of it's service so the outlying communities are getting their groceries by air.

I worked in the shop today, just like normal plus a little gardening.
traffic is normal, UPS was working.

But I-5 is a parking lot.
And Boeing is not working.

so the outlying communities are getting their groceries by air.
What about 135 flights out to the bush? I tried booking my annual flight out to SW AK last week and no one seems to being accepting reservations until after April 1? I took it as they might be waiting on possible restrictions due to the corona19?

What about 135 flights out to the bush? I tried booking my annual flight out to SW AK last week and no one seems to being accepting reservations until after April 1? I took it as they might be waiting on possible restrictions due to the corona19?
Here in SE AK the 135 flights are still up and going as far as I know

Boeing stock down to 129 from 400, and that is not all due to the 737 Max, this virus is going to take down lots of good companies.

Montgomery tower is going to be running lower staffing, so pattern work will be reduced.

Glad I fly mostly uncontrolled fields.
I think problems at towered fields will go up as staffing goes down.

Im worried about my fbo closing. They are currently replacing the archer's engine, they hanger it, and they are the only source of fuel. At the rate IL is closing things, I'll be surprised if I get to fly again before July. At that point I'm guessing I'll need to take an instructor to knock off the rust.

Im also worried about my favorite couple airport restaurants. Those places seem to be hanging on by a thread in the best of times. Being closed for a month or more isn't going to help.

I'm due for a flight review this month :(

What about if you are in the market for a used aircraft? Good time to buy or just sit tight?

Sit tight for a bit, 4-6 months imo. It's a lagging indicator. Right now people are not gonna shed discretionary toys. The hit to consumption just occurred. 6 months from now, especially after the summer season grows colder and people emotionally part with their aircraft ownership for the remainder of the year, the impacts in the resale market will reflect the more pressing need/want to downsize the monthly ledger. That's when good discounts from market high (aka late 2019 early 2020) will be seen.

All restaurants and bars in the state have just been closed for dine in by order of the Governor here in Washington state. I just called the airport I fly out of and the school that rents planes is still operational. However, with no place to eat they suspect rentals will decline. I was actually thinking of flying my daughter up to Port Townsend to eat at the diner on the field this weekend but now I'll have to call ahead to see if they are doing take out. If so we could still fly up and get a to go bag, maybe eat it there on the grass off the ramp and have a small picnic. If not, it looks like flights will be sightseeing flights.

-edit to add: Just saw that you are in Oak Harbor so your aware of the governors order here in this state. If you want to share a few locations to fly to that might work out from Bremerton I'm all ears. I guess I could fly down to Oregon for a lunch run but I just got my Private ticket and was hoping to keep things a bit closer for a while as I get the family used to being in a small plane and no instructor up front. :)

I need to call up to the Spruce Goose and see if they are doing take out. Their pie is outstanding. The weather is looking great for VFR flying.

I need to call up to the Spruce Goose and see if they are doing take out. Their pie is outstanding. The weather is looking great for VFR flying.
Already sent them a message. They informed me that they will not be doing take out and plan to use this time for any improvements that are needed. So it looks like if I fly up there this weekend I'll take a picnic and the family and I will sit on the grass to enjoy the day.

Sit tight for a bit, 4-6 months imo. It's a lagging indicator. Right now people are not gonna shed discretionary toys. The hit to consumption just occurred. 6 months from now, especially after the summer season grows colder and people emotionally part with their aircraft ownership for the remainder of the year, the impacts in the resale market will reflect the more pressing need/want to downsize the monthly ledger. That's when good discounts from market high (aka late 2019 early 2020) will be seen.

Especially in the oil patch. Fracking is going to take a hit in the oil price war.

Already sent them a message. They informed me that they will not be doing take out and plan to use this time for any improvements that are needed. So it looks like if I fly up there this weekend I'll take a picnic and the family and I will sit on the grass to enjoy the day.

Thanks for the update. And the weather report for this weekend (at least last night on KOMO-TV) is looking really nice.

Thanks for the update. And the weather report for this weekend (at least last night on KOMO-TV) is looking really nice.
Agreed, I’m going to give the Cessna a whirl and see how different it is from the Piper this week. If all goes well, hopefully I’ll be able to convince the family to go for a flying picnic.

I’ll be flying on Saturday if the local weather improves as forecasted. Spare a thought for European pilots - VFR flying is being shut down in most European countries for who knows how long, forever wouldn’t surprise me in many areas, with no particular justification.

“Never let a crisis go to waste”

I’ll be flying on Saturday if the local weather improves as forecasted. Spare a thought for European pilots - VFR flying is being shut down in most European countries for who knows how long, forever wouldn’t surprise me in many areas, with no particular justification.

“Never let a crisis go to waste”

It probably irks them to see these rich boys in their rich toys (aka Cessna 150) flying around when the rest of the masses are grounded.

Let me know if Spruce Goose is doing that. I'd like to take my daughter up for the same while the weather is so nice, but kids do appreciate "something" at the destination

Bumpy below 3,500', smooth above that.
But......
One heck of a head wind flying back to Great Barrington from Sky Acres.
It took 45 minutes to fly 35 sm.
A lovely day in the Cub.

Back