Toilet Paper

topgun260

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topgun260
OK, things are getting real. We didn't buy into the TP hysteria last week but now we are actually running low on this apparent precious commodity. I just placed an order on Walmart hoping that they get a shipment in overnight and will fill my order as they are restocking.

I guess I should have joined in the hysteria with everyone else.

Amazon just had some Angel Soft in stock and they ran out in like less than 5 minutes. The only ones available have to be shipped from China, cost like $30 for shipping and won’t get here for another 3 weeks.

Paper goods shelves here in PHX are barren. We’re OK, but our sons have families and they’re a little stressed. Our grandson is coming home Friday from University of Chicago, and he’s bringing five rolls with him. He said he didn’t know if it would fit in his luggage, so his dad told him, “Buy another suitcase!"

Son #1 texted about an hour ago, that his brother (Son #2) ...

“[...] met me at the house at 2:30 AM, got to Winco on Bell and 303 at 2:50 AM. We thought they opened at five as they said, but when we got there they said they didn’t open until seven. So we went to Walmart. They open at six. We lined up around 520. At 5:45 an employee came out and said they had no paper products. So we went back to Winco. At about 6 AM and employee came over and told us that the store didn’t open until seven. I asked him through the window if they had toilet paper and he said no, they had no shipment of anything. No meat, eggs, paper products, nothing. So we went to Fry’s on Camelback and Litchfield. There we stood in a long line that had formed inside the store awaiting the unloading of a truck. It was at that point that [daughter-in-law] texted and said that she was notified by Amazon that she could get 12 rolls of toilet paper delivered by Saturday. So I grabbed a few rolls of paper towels. [Son #2] did as well, went to Starbucks get a coffee, and went home.”

Makes me wonder if there’s anywhere in AZ convenient to an airport that has a supply. Can’t think of a better reason to fly today. Who’da thunk that the “$100 hamburger” concept would become the “$100 roll of T.P.”?

At the risk of sharing too much, I probably haven't used TP in 10 years, except in the odd emergency. My thought is that if you had **** on your face, you wouldn't wipe it off with dry paper and call it good; you'd be scrubbing with soap & hot water. How about your hand? Your leg? Where do you draw the line that a little **** residue is acceptable?

Now, I also have 5 girls under my roof who aren't going to shower every time they pee, so we still go through the stuff. Thankfully my wife keeps a month or so ahead on most things. What I don't understand is, are people really living hand to mouth (lol) with toilet paper? Buying a roll or two every couple days? Who doesn't have that stuff around?

Was just gonna say, just poop and then jump in the shower. How hard is that?

For the ladies, a washcloth would work fine. Or a sock you were gonna launder anyway. Or heck, a clean one if you’re picky.

I was born at a time when disposable diapers weren’t a thing. Suck it up you air conditioned twits (not aimed at the OP, just in general to myself and my friends and family).

One of our local grocery stores seems to always have some, not much, but they also have a 2-packs per customer limit. I have a feeling that I'll be going to the store on the way home from work every few days, and if they have any then I'll buy a pack so we can keep a small stock going. I hope the supplies quickly get back on track once the hysteria dies down. First it was the hoarders, and now it's people that are buying up what they can because they don't want to get caught needing things and not being able to find it.

One of the other problems we have are parents in a senior living facility. They need to provide their own supplies, so we find ourselves occasionally shopping for them, too. And now that their facility is on a lockdown, even if we get supplies for them we can't deliver it unless we work something out.

Paper goods shelves here in PHX are barren. We’re OK, but our sons have families and they’re a little stressed. Our grandson is coming home Friday from University of Chicago, and he’s bringing five rolls with him. He said he didn’t know if it would fit in his luggage, so his dad told him, “Buy another suitcase!"

Son #1 texted about an hour ago, that his brother (Son #2) ...

“[...] met me at the house at 2:30 AM, got to Winco on Bell and 303 at 2:50 AM. We thought they opened at five as they said, but when we got there they said they didn’t open until seven. So we went to Walmart. They open at six. We lined up around 520. At 5:45 an employee came out and said they had no paper products. So we went back to Winco. At about 6 AM and employee came over and told us that the store didn’t open until seven. I asked him through the window if they had toilet paper and he said no, they had no shipment of anything. No meat, eggs, paper products, nothing. So we went to Fry’s on Camelback and Litchfield. There we stood in a long line that had formed inside the store awaiting the unloading of a truck. It was at that point that [daughter-in-law] texted and said that she was notified by Amazon that she could get 12 rolls of toilet paper delivered by Saturday. So I grabbed a few rolls of paper towels. [Son #2] did as well, went to Starbucks get a coffee, and went home.”

Makes me wonder if there’s anywhere in AZ convenient to an airport that has a supply. Can’t think of a better reason to fly today. Who’da thunk that the “$100 hamburger” concept would become the “$100 roll of T.P.”?
Our EAA Chapter has a bathroom & shower at the end of one row of hangars....It's very well stocked right now. I wonder what the inventory will look like next weekend.

There is no TP shortage...only a distribution and stocking shortage to keep up with demand.

Georgia-Pacific who is the major US producer said since the hotel and hospitality demand has tanked, there is plenty of product still on hand shifting that supply to the retail market and production will have no problem keeping up.

Enjoy tripping over that year supply all year...

People have stolen all of the TP from our work restrooms.
Remember a few years back when there wasn't a gas shortage but people in the media and social media said there was going to be and then they created one?

Feels the same.

Zuckerburg should turn FB off for a couple weeks.

There is no TP shortage...only a distribution and stocking shortage to keep up with demand.

Georgia-Pacific who is the major US producer said since the hotel and hospitality demand has tanked, there is plenty of product still on hand shifting that supply to the retail market and production will have no problem keeping up.

Enjoy tripping over that year supply all year...

83M rolls of TP are produced daily in the US.

Most grocers run a 3-day stock of most products on the shelves; one of the challenges with JIT supply chains is that absent forewarning, demand shocks can take a week or more to adjust to.

had to laugh out loud...clicked on sixpapacharlie'sbidet link
....currently unavailable!

I was at the grocery store yesterday and had to take a picture the long ailse for paper products incompletely empty.
I agree with doc holliday...non-problem.... but I think most folks here don't know how to live out of the 1st world....
folks that back country camp have a slight advantage I suppose

here's a little something taht might help some....

Got an airplane preferably a taildragger? I got a decent stock of the good stuff. Depending on what you have maybe your plane and some cash and I would be willing to part with a few rolls.

89765837_10100172537396474_4700662180133994496_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sitting here paranoid if the 12 rolls I have will be enough until the stupidity dies down.
Amusingly, I still also have plenty of bleach, isopropyl alcohol, latex and not latex gloves and dust masks... All for other projects purchased before this mess. I would sort of like to refill the hand sanitizer in the car, but worst case I'll take my horde of alcohol with me when I go out.

Most grocers run a 3-day stock of most products on the shelves; one of the challenges with JIT supply chains is that absent forewarning, demand shocks can take a week or more to adjust to.

Yup, I have just as much as anyone let myself get sucked into the "on demand" lifestyle and this is a bit of a wakeup call for a lot of folks with the pitfalls of that soceity.

Interestingly I just came home form an Alaska trip where my sister lives and we had a pretty good winter storm. She is a bit out there in a small town but relatively close to civilization yet I was stuck by the sense of both community and self reliance they all have to get by in normal day to day life with everyone digging and helping everyone else out...then I flew back home to California in the middle of this chit show.

Was just gonna say, just poop and then jump in the shower. How hard is that?

For the ladies, a washcloth would work fine. Or a sock you were gonna launder anyway. Or heck, a clean one if you’re picky.

I was born at a time when disposable diapers weren’t a thing. Suck it up you air conditioned twits (not aimed at the OP, just in general to myself and my friends and family).

We used cloth diapers for our first three kids, then got lazy. Still got all the diapers if worse comes to worse. That sink sprayer attached to the toilet meme that's going around.... yeah we have one of those.... they work great for knocking the big chucks off the diapers.

As others have said, just use the shower if needed. Add a shower wand if that makes things easier. If you need paper, the mounds of advertising you get in the mail will work also (just don't flush). May be rougher than 400 grit sandpaper, but it'll get the job done.

The stores are all restocking TP as there isn't really a shortage. It's just the roaming hoards buying it all up. The chain mega-marts (Costco, Sams) will have it, but you'll have to invest a few hours waiting in line before they open to pick it up.

Today in church the preacher said there is two boxes of TP in the foyer. Help yourselves to a couple rolls because it is the last two boxes of TP in town... :lol::lol:

It is also very similar to John Wayne TP...that is it can be used to sand the paint off your car.

l_8202320111026_johnwaynetp_001640x594.jpg

You can get a bidet, like a nice one with heated seat, air dry, etc from Amazon for a couple hundred bucks.

Then this problem goes away.

These work great. Add it to your existing toilet and you're set.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MLZR3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_i_vdOBEb8KBGHQA
OK Six. You have such a great way of explaining things. Could you give a blow by blow [sic] explanation of exactly how you are supposed to use a bidet????? There are a few of us rednecks on here that recently installed indoor plumbing and we need to know!!!! [asking for a friend]

Today in church the preacher said there is two boxes of TP in the foyer. Help yourselves to a couple rolls because it is the last two boxes of TP in town... :lol::lol:

It is also very similar to John Wayne TP...that is it can be used to sand the paint off your car.

l_8202320111026_johnwaynetp_001640x594.jpg
Pretty John Wayne paper was stocked by the Navy. Used that crap for 16 years but it wasn't marked though.

OK Six. You have such a great way of explaining things. Could you give a blow by blow [sic] explanation of exactly how you are supposed to use a bidet????? There are a few of us rednecks on here that recently installed indoor plumbing and we need to know!!!! [asking for a friend]
Surely there are YouTube videos. There has to be!

The first Americans lived here for centuries before toilet paper.

They also didn't shake hands....

Pretty John Wayne paper was stocked by the Navy. Used that crap for 16 years but it wasn't marked though.
Should have tried the "Institutional" stuff my Dad used to bring home from work. I didn't even *know* they made toilet paper with less than one ply.... :)

Ron Wanttaja

Back