Millenials: Learn to dial your phone here

I remember about 1970 a lady from the telephone company came to our elementary school class and gave a similar presentation. But by that time the presentation emphasized the difference between local, long distance within our area code, and long distance to a different area code, and how to do 1+ dialing.

We have an old dial desk phone. When we had a land line we had it in the living room, and young folks that visited wondered what it was and how it was used. They were used to cordless phones and cellphones.

I had a device in my car that allowed me to plug a regular rj-11 connected desk set into my cell phone. I had a plane old phone with about 50 feet of cord that I would occasionally take out and set on the hood while I was making calls.

I had to crank the little wooden box.

I had to crank the little wooden box.
Yup me too, three shorts and a long. Kept a piece of leather on the top of the phone so we could wrap it around the gong on Sunday afternoon - then all the calls on the party line didn’t bother us as much.

When my kids were little we went to a furniture store and there was an Ameche as part of the display. I realized they had never seen one and showed them how it worked.

The oldest phone I remember... Motorola Startac circa 1996

17AD27E4-06D6-44F4-859D-C9D72CD69BCF.jpeg

The oldest phone In our house. My dad converted it into a lamp.
16cfc1a32cc2dd0924091c83dbde0c4a.jpg

MTS (mobile telephone service) was rolled out in 1946. Essentially there was only three channels and dialing was all handled by a mobile operator (note the lack of a dial in the phone in the movie). In the sixies the IMPROVED Mobile Telephone Service added. This allowed direct dialing both to and from the mobile set, but shared only a dozen or so channels across an entire metro area. I had a friend who had one of these. This was eventually replaced by the ADVANCED Mobile Telephone System which was the beginning of the modern cellular phone. I had a car mounted AMPS unit though I had friends with handheld cells (Motorola Dynatacs) that were the size of a brick.

One of my favorite scenes in the movie "In and Out" was the supermodel (I still have to shower and vomit) who can't figure out how to work the dial phone in the motel.

One of my favorite scenes in the movie "In and Out" was the supermodel (I still have to shower and vomit) who can't figure out how to work the dial phone in the motel.
Like Star Trek 4 when Scotty picks up the computer mouse and talks to it

Back