Checklist Bullet Markings

Richard WOODS

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Richard W
I have noticed that some checklists use numbered items, some use bullets and other use nothing. What should be used based upon human factor studies?

I’m not sure a paper checklist can be made “best” for human factors.

If you want a “best”, I’d suggest a grease pencil and marking a box to indicate “done.”

People are not good with numbers compared to visual displays of information, and numbered items are only as good as the persons usage of them.

I’d say the best checklist is one that you make yourself, incorporating a physical “flow” in the movements or locations to be checked, and ensuring that all variations are consistent. I just built my own for my Cessna, and it is customized to my systems (e.g. I have 2 altimeters to set) and also incorporates the same physical “flow” starting from the fuel selector and moving up, then right to left.

Human beings get used to routine, which allows them to spot exceptions.

I find the worst checklists have different routines for different phases of flight, increasing mental/pilot load.

I also use a “Verb” to indicate what should be done, so that the checklist is more of a command:
Fuel Selector BOTH
Trim SET FOR TAKEOFF
Cowl Flaps OPEN

Etc.

Hope that helps - I printed mine on plastic at signs.com, and have found that since my checklist is exactly aligned to what I need to do, and doesn’t have anything that needs to be ignored or anything that I need to remember to modify from what’s written, it is super fast, and kind of fun, to crank through it as part of my routine.

So here’s my list, in order of priority
* everything can be done, literally, in order, as written
* the same tasks, in the same order, with the same words, for all phases of the checklist to ensure flow
* easy to read, with style conventions like CAPS for status, and lowercase for the item, or some other consistent convention
* tables with no borders, using alternate shading to distinguish rows, so the text pops
* clear sections / section breaks
* consistent borders
* emergency sections in RED, on their own sheet/side
* one sheet, front for std and rear for emergency

That’s my 2c.

Last edited:
Back