Why you need a good carbon monoxide detector

Interesting. I went flying to figure out what the baseline was and saw up to 15ppm in the climb, full rich. Back to low single digits when leaned for cruise. Cabin heat didn't move the needle. I guess I'll be shopping for new door seals...

If you do a search on Mooneyspace, Dan is an advocate for Sensorcon. He has given out a discount code for anyone to use. It’s 20% off. His story is truly amazing. I’ve lost a close family member to CO poisoning and I know of several others too. It’s a seriously deadly problem.
This is the brand I bought. I hang it on the pencil holder suction cupped on the left side in plain view. I actually noticed it spiked up a bit when I had cabin heat on- around 15. I have a coal stove in an outdoor shed that I tested it in and it will spike in that room too.

That is because the typical pulse oximeter detects the Oxygen molecule of the CO and doesn't know the difference. We do have ones at our Fire Department that can differentiate, but they aren't cheap.
Well...no...pulse oximeters indirectly measure O2 saturation by measuring how much red light is absorbed by the blood (in the fingertip, earlobe, etc). Hemoglobin saturated with oxygen is “redder”, but so is that bound to carbon monoxide - that’s why victims of CO poisoning have “cherry red” lips and mucous membranes.
The oxygen of CO has really nothing to do with it.

I have this one. Just had to cross runway 21 to get it as they are made in Tucson.

13-07102.jpg
I really like the panel-mounted option. Always in your FOV. Are there any time sensitive components? It seems the portables need replacing every couple years.

I really like the panel-mounted option. Always in your FOV. Are there any time sensitive components? It seems the portables need replacing every couple years.
The sensor life is 7 years from date of installation.

This is Dan Millican, host of the In The Hangar show we did the interview with Dan Bass. I'm glad someone did a review of the three CO detectors. I had the Tocsin and had to replace it after about 18 months when it stopped working. Then the second one stopped working. I decided since it was made for the "aviation" industry, there was higher mark up, so went with the Forensics and its been okay (drawback is the battery, which is also a pain with the Tocsin). After interviewing Dan for the show, I ordered a Sensorcon and have received it (but haven't gone flying yet). Looking forward to trying it out. And BTW-- Dan, thanks so much for sharing your story. The fact that your out there telling your story does save lives, even if you can't measure it. So thank you for that.

Back