cheapest form of avaition

What in your opinion is the cheapest form of aviation? I love all forms of flying but hate the increasing cost year by year. Thinking about an changing my flying hobby.

Hang Gliding
Paraglider Non powered
Paraglider Powered PPG
Powered Parachute PPC
Hot air balloon
Glider Fix Wing non powered
Ultralight Single Seat
Sky diving
Wing Suit

Flight Sim.

Be this guy...

capture52.jpg

(sorry)

Since hang gliders and paragliders are part 103, there's no certificate to get from the FAA. Instead, you train to the level of Hang 2 or Para 2 as defined the the U. S. Hang and Paragliding Association. That will cost $1200 - $2000, with foot launch on the lower end of the range and aerotow (hang gliding only) on the higher side. Once you're rated, you'd want your own equipment. If I were starting out today, I'd buy a used single surface wing such as a Wills Wing Falcon or a North Wing Freedom. You can get a good one of those for $2500. I'd buy a new harness ($1000), a new helmet ($200), a new parachute ($700), and if I could find one, a used variometer ($350-$400). A new one is around $600. You also need some wheels for the glider in case you roll in a landing ($100). So that's about $5,000 all in. You'd also need some sort of roof rack for your car. After that, if you foot launch, you'd be paying for a USHPA membership ($150, includes some insurance), site dues, ($100 -$200), parachute repack ($30 or $60 depending on how often you get it done), and an (optionally) an annual inspection for your glider ($200 - $250). So you're looking at $550-$600 per year plus the depreciation on your equipment. If you do aerotow, you need a tow harness ($100) and tows are typically $25.

Paragliding costs are very similar. a PG wing is less expensive by $1000 or so than is a hang glider, but they aren't as long lasting so the costs of ownership are very similar.

If you wanted to go skydiving, getting your USPA A license will probably cost you around $3500 - $4500 depending how quickly you get through your levels. After that, the jumps will cost $25 - $30 each, and if you rent gear, that's $25. If you pay someone to pack the chute, I think it's $7 - $10 depending on where you jump. A new skydiving rig is in the $7000 -$8000 range, you can get used stuff for half that. You'd also need a helmet ($300-$400) and an altimeter ($250-$400). You may want a jumpsuit as well ($300)

You asked about wingsuiting. That's an advanced discipline of skydiving. The suits themselves are in the $1500 - $2000 range. You need a minimum of 200 previous jumps within the last 18 months, or 500 total jumps, before you start wingsuiting. It looks really cool but I'd think you'd have to be dedicated to keep up the skills needed to do it, as the wingsuit complicates emergency procedures, and most skydivers will have to use their reserve once every 500 - 1000 jumps. I suspect wingsuiting requires quite a lot of athleticism.

I've never flown a paraglider. I have a reasonable amount of experience with a hang glider, and a few skydiving jumps. Hang gliding is done a low speeds, the freefall part of skydiving is intense. It's not so much which is cheaper, it's which you'd enjoy the most. I had a PPSEL, I've done some dual in a sailplane, but I still liked hang gliding the best. I just couldn't get up to the launch enough to keep up my skills.

Paragliding for the win! About $7000 total for the lessons and equipment (usually purchased from the school you learn from).

I’m lucky enough to have flown a lot of categories of aviation, but by far I’m happiest in a paraglider. Here is a compilation video of some of the places I managed to fly while traveling for work. Yep, I bring along my 20 pound portable flying machine with me on trips:

My wife would kill me for yet another risky hobby, but I think flying ultralights would be amazing.

I’m in that boat. I would love an ultralight and they look like a ton of fun, but my wife is 100% against them.

The balloon was her idea, though. :)

Shop around and look for old classic certified planes. They are out there. A little diligence and TLC you will be flying cheap.

Dayum, I just found out ultralights can do acro :eek:......My life is a lie.
On the plus side, retirement just got waaaayyy cheaper. Holy smokes! :D

Shop around and look for old classic certified planes. They are out there. A little diligence and TLC you will be flying cheap.

You’ll get a fairly practical plane too, one that with a little patience can be flown all over. I sold my national Grand Champion Luscombe for $20K last year, and it didn’t need any TLC! On Barnstormers right now there’s the Porterfield Collegiate magazine cover plane that I remember reading about... for $16K.

Back