Corona Virus and Oshkosh?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Any word from the organizers on keeping or cancelling Oshkosh this year? Seems like most big public events like this are getting cancelled. Asking because I paid for a house...and have limited time to get a refund.

I’ve already cancelled hotel and car reservations but not in fear of the show being cancelled. Other things happening are preventing me from going this year. Interesting coinkadink.

It will be interesting to see, over the next few months, which vendors decide to cancel.

It'll either be over by then, or all the boomer pilots have been killed off. No way of telling right now.

I've seen events as far out as June be cancelled at this point due to the pandemic (E3 for example). Would not be surprised given the size of the event if they cancelled it in the next month or two. This isn't going to be resolved anytime soon and given the current state of things I'd be clearing my calendar through August.

Especially if I had a significant amount of money tied up in something.

I don’t know what the driver would be for EAA to cancel it so early. I wouldn’t see the downside to letting this play out for another few weeks or month or two, other than lost effort in current planning.

I don’t know what the driver would be for EAA to cancel it so early. I wouldn’t see the downside to letting this play out for another few weeks or month or two, other than lost effort in current planning.

I'd agree, but E3 is in June and they already killed it. July is not out of reach. Guess it depends on how much money they have tied up in it and whether or not they want to roll the dice. Waiting too long to cancel is a major problem for anyone with money invested like the OP.

Any word from the organizers on keeping or cancelling Oshkosh this year? Seems like most big public events like this are getting cancelled. Asking because I paid for a house...and have limited time to get a refund.

Maybe consider contacting whoever you booked through and discuss directly with them. You might be able to get an extension. This is a unique circumstance.

I'd agree, but E3 is in June and they already killed it. July is not out of reach. Guess it depends on how much money they have tied up in it and whether or not they want to roll the dice. Waiting too long to cancel is a major problem for anyone with money invested like the OP.

True. I was not looking at it from an attendee standpoint.

We can certainly hope it will be over. But this isn't a seasonal disease. I'll do my part to try not to be a boomer statistic.

Not in the sense of a seasonal disease. I am still hoping that we are more like korea than italy and that the control efforts keep this from marching through 1/3 of the population.

Not in the sense of a seasonal disease. I am still hoping that we are more like korea than italy and that the control efforts keep this from marching through 1/3 of the population.
I agree completely. The thing that concerns me is that the 1918 flu pandemic lasted two years. Different disease, different times. But it's still something to be aware of.

They just released the initial list of performers today. My guess is it is still on. Sun n Fun released a statement that it is still happening as usual.

I agree completely. The thing that concerns me is that the 1918 flu pandemic lasted two years. Different disease, different times. But it's still something to be aware of.

There are a lot of things we learned then but forgot since.
When I did my medical training, the children's hospital still had separate exam rooms for any kid with a rash or fever. The rooms had doors to the outside and the patients never went to a waiting room. You called them in, looked at the kid and discharged them if you could without them ever setting foot inside of the hospital. Our 'infectious disease wing' had a catwalk outside of the windows and a phone for each room. During any kind of outbreak you could isolate the infectious patients from the visitors etc. Now we have one or two 'AIIR rooms' per hospital, not nearly enough if we ever have an outbreak of truly airborne disease .

I would expect them to cancel Sun & Fun before they pull the plug on OSH and they're already said they have no plans to cancel S&F even though vendors are starting to pull out.

If the warm weather doesn't put the kibosh on the virus we're all likely to get it. If it's as lethal as has been reported it'll be a good time to be a mortician. That said, I remain skeptical of the actually mortality. A lot of the infections are sufficiently mild as to not be counted, thus you're looking at the cohort of things that show up. Moreover, we're just at the tip of this thing. There's still only about 1000 cases reported so far in the CONUS.

One thing's for certain. If this epidemic is still raging by the time of the Show, even if they have it I bet lots of folks won't show up.

Sun n fun is still scheduled, but if the vendors pull out ,how much of a show will it be?

Sun n fun is still scheduled, but if the vendors pull out ,how much of a show will it be?

Exactly, I think that's a real problem. Many large and small companies are pulling their staff out of events with big turnout because they don't want to risk them getting sick and being down and out for a month.

Co-worker of mine has a spouse that works for Nationwide and they are limiting meeting sizes to 20 people or less for in person meetings and just now started rotating staff out to work from home a few times a week to limit how many people are actually in the office at one time. Nothing like that has happened where I work, but we do now have forms people have to fill out if they want to visit the office. So if my wife wants to visit me she has to fill out and submit a form for permission, she can't just show up. That or I leave and go meet her somewhere of course.

I'm surprised Sun n Fun hasn't pulled the plug yet. I'm guessing that happens within the next week. It's irresponsible not to do so. New York state is cancelling crowds of over 500 people. Sun n Fun is what....200k?

Last edited:
It'll either be over by then, or all the boomer pilots have been killed off. No way of telling right now.
If all the boomer pilots [me!] are killed off, OSH will be a graveyard of two sorts.

It's a long time out. The viral outbreak will probably peak within 8 weeks, but the virus is not likely going away at all.

I'm surprised Sun n Fun hasn't pulled the plug yet. I'm guessing that happens within the next week. It's irresponsible not to do so. New York state is cancelling crowds of over 500 people. Sun n Fun is what....200k?
Ohio just cancelled all events with crowds over 100 people. Which kills a series of bluegrass concerts I have tickets for.

Bike week in Daytona is in progress now, and there are around 500,000 bikers here. This is only a short drive to Sun n Fun. A huge majority of bikers are boomers, so if it hits here, you can expect the mortality rate to surge, in which case they will have to cancel SNF.

Last edited:
Bike week in Daytona is in progress now, and there are around 500,000 bikers here. This is only a short drive to Sun n Fun. A huge majority of bikers are boomers, so if it hits here, you can expect the mortality rate to surge, in which case they will have to cancel SNF.
Not to mention all the communities the infected bikers return to.

Last edited:
Co-worker of mine has a spouse that works for Nationwide and they are limiting meeting sizes to 20 people or less for in person meetings

The irony is that based on what the virus has done so far, this is the opposite of what you would want to do. The 'superspreading' events in Boston and New Rochelle have been at relatively small affairs where people get in close contact with each other (management meeting, religious family event). It doesn't appear that it's the NBA game where you need to worry, it's the 20 person seminar where everyone shakes everyone else hand and engages in direct face to face interaction.

This. I can well imagine small vendors with less than 10 employees total saying I ain't afraid of no virus and still showing up. But I have to expect any company with deep pockets is not going to want to open themselves to the inevitable law suit they will face when a staff member is assigned to work the show and tests positive afterward. I could be wrong but I suspect Garmin and the like do not want that kind of liability exposure.

How do we know it's not seasonal? Where was it contracted? Here in Aspen people have been infected by a lady that was found to have it when she got to Australia but she must have contracted in cold WX here to have infected people hetre.

We're certainly a company of well over 10 employees and we are watching things proceed very carefully. Our show booth is scheduled to ship on the 16th. o_O Many conversations have been had with other vendors who share similar concerns.

Last edited:
Waiting for used airplane prices to fall next year. Too soon?

Yup. I imagine these will be like houses. Everyone will be fixed on the prices the last 2 years and eventually they might come down, assuming there's people who have to sell their toys. Don't hold your breath.

Back