Bummed

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
I just found out the airplane that I have been training on (53 hours) was just sold. This particular Australian Jabiru J230 SP is the same plane I used for my solo and cross-country.

The airplane that I will now be using is the Ukrainian AeroPrakt 22. I will now need to learn how to fly it, learn the POH, the numbers, Everything…

I was going to be taking check ride soon, but this has changed everything. How long does it take to get acclimated to a new airplane in this situation?

Shouldn’t take too long. It’s still an airplane. Pay attention to sight picture sitting in it on the ground to help adjust for the flare, and you’ll be fine.

This is practice for adjusting to new planes. Becoming able to hop between planes makes you a better pilot.

I just found out the airplane that I have been training on (53 hours) was just sold. This particular Australian Jabiru J230 SP is the same plane I used for my solo and cross-country.

The airplane that I will now be using is the Ukrainian AeroPrakt 22. I will now need to learn how to fly it, learn the POH, the numbers, Everything…

I was going to be taking check ride soon, but this has changed everything. How long does it take to get acclimated to a new airplane in this situation?

Depends on how different they are I guess. Picking up a new airplane is not really a big deal. Most general concepts transfer over. If you can fly one single engine light aircraft you can fly pretty much any single engine light aircraft given some "warm up" time depending on how different they are.

I learned on a Cessna 162, probably 40-50 hours into it I had to switch to a 172. Heavier but no big deal. I then flew a Cherokee, again no big deal. It's not like you have to start all over again, just learn the minor differences, update your speed references, weight and balance, possibly emergency procedures and then go fly and learn how it handles.

Really no big deal at all.

Thank you everyone. Sounds like it will not be as rough as I expected.

Thank you everyone. Sounds like it will not be as rough as I expected.

Nope..piece of cake. And as others have said take advantage of this because you will probably NOT be flying the same plane for the rest of your life. Learning to hop into something else and pick things up is a part of flying :).

The panel might be the most challenging, if it's much different. Going from steam to a G3X touch is quite a learning curve, for example, but I found going the other way to be a non-issue. If you're going to have new avionics, get the manuals and do some studying ahead of time.

The first switch or two is a bit daunting, but good practice and soon you won’t be as worried about it.

Back