Want To Buy GNS 530W 24v

Paveslave53

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paveslave53
Anyone have one for sale ? Seems some people want the same price as a 750.

try avionics source they are actually coming down in price since Garmin will not support them in the near future there an avionics shop in Minisota that sells them very reasonable If I find thier name I'll pass it along

Will second Avionics Source of Seattle. They’ve got a bunch they’re trying to push out, might pick up one myself to replace a GPS500 and old King combo. Don’t know when Garmin will quit supporting them but can’t be much longer.

People should not be worried about how long Garman is going to support.They have at least 10 to 15 years of spare parts left around not to mention another company will definitely pick it up with the thousands ofsystems that are out there and let’s be honest most of them never break they go for 10/15 years and you’ve never seen them in the shop.

People should not be worried about how long Garman is going to support.They have at least 10 to 15 years of spare parts left around not to mention another company will definitely pick it up with the thousands ofsystems that are out there and let’s be honest most of them never break they go for 10/15 years and you’ve never seen them in the shop.

please tell us your source for that 10 to 15 years worth of parts qoute, because from my sources in the avionics industry thats BS. also, due to the type of parts in those units, and the fact that they are TSOed units NO OTHER COMPANY CAN pick it up sevice must be performed using FAA approved manuals which garmin DOES NOT give to anybody.

Calm down, apparently your sources in “the industry” are better than mine. I work for a Garmin dealer but whatever. The fact that they stopped producing units when ? 2010? And they are still upgrading them to WASS and servicing them speaks for itself. If your worried about it buy something else, I am literally upgrading my 430 to W capability right now. A radio that has been in the airplane since the 90s and never has to be sent back for service prior to this. You don’t think maybe Garmin will sell the rights to the units another major company ? Any info right now is just speculation. Here is another reason I think it’s BS as you put it, I have a 250XL when did Garmin say it was no longer supported ? 2015 guess what last week they put a new display in it and overhauled the radio. But according to Garmin services for that we’re terminated in 2015 with a service life ending last month. So take it for what it’s worth. Not to mention a reputable company like Garman will take all their MTBF times and base that on how many spare parts they need to continue supporting the equipment.When they officially announced they were no longer supporting the 150,250,350 They still had five years of spare parts in the shelf that’s not a super common unit so what do you think they’re going to do for a piece of equipment like a 530 or a 430? I’m not worried about it.

Last edited:
Wh
please tell us your source for that 10 to 15 years worth of parts qoute, because from my sources in the avionics industry thats BS. also, due to the type of parts in those units, and the fact that they are TSOed units NO OTHER COMPANY CAN pick it up sevice must be performed using FAA approved manuals which garmin DOES NOT give to anybody.
Who said you can’t get Garmin maintenance manuals ? Same source I suppose. You can go in Garmin's website and get maintenance manuals.

Wh

Who said you can’t get Garmin maintenance manuals ? Same source I suppose. You can go in Garmin's website and get maintenance manuals.

Install manuals, yes. Maintenance manuals, which you need if you open the box, no.

Attachments

• 14A06C7A-AA32-4B8A-834E-B63E2581BC08.png
    14A06C7A-AA32-4B8A-834E-B63E2581BC08.png
    239.2 KB · Views: 13
That’s a screenshot, not a link. If you work at a Garmin dealer that has the authorization to work inside the box that’s one thing, but for Garmin to release such information to the public (and other manufacturers) is unlikely at best. Any copies of the maintenance manual that are out there would be unauthorized copies.

I just took that screenshot off the Garmin website. Not about to upload you an entire manual. You can log in and get it yourself if you want it. No service center required. This thread has completely derailed. Do you have a 530 for sale ? Or can help ? If not I’m moving on.....

try avionics source they are actually coming down in price since Garmin will not support them in the near future there an avionics shop in Minisota that sells them very reasonable If I find thier name I'll pass it along
Thank you !

I emailed garmin a couple weeks ago to ask if they had a set plan for discontinuing support of the gns 430 gps. Their response was very positive and basically told me they have no plans to stop support any time soon. I realize that is proof of nothing, but it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling so I bought a used unit and it's being installed now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As per my first post on this thread, try Avionics Source.

and if Garmin has indeed released the maintenance manual to the public that’s definitely something new.

That’s a screenshot, not a link. If you work at a Garmin dealer that has the authorization to work inside the box that’s one thing, but for Garmin to release such information to the public (and other manufacturers) is unlikely at best. Any copies of the maintenance manual that are out there would be unauthorized copies.
I did look up Seattle avionics and they ha e one 530W available. So thank you for that.

that is not a manual on how to fix the unit. note section 1.1:
1.1 MAINTENANCE/SUPPORT PHILOSOPHY Avionics shop repair is limited to replacing the parts listed in Section 6. All repairs can be made at the bench with an appropriate replacement spare part. Faulty parts listed in Section 6 (or a complete unit) can be returned to Garmin for repair. For information pertaining to spares stocking (suggested quantities, etc.) contact Garmin at one of the addresses listed on the inside cover. This manual is written for field shops not equipped with Garmin Automated Test Equipment (ATE) and not having access to Garmin proprietary repair documentation. Component level repair is not authorized. Send the unit to Garmin for repair when any troubleshooting, testing, or repair falls outside the scope of this manual (paragraph 1.3).
and section 4.2:
4.2 LIMITATIONS/SCOPE If any testing which is required and/or desired falls outside of the scope of what is described, return the unit to Garmin for repair.

and section 6: it lists the boards that can be replaced. NOT components. again, there will be NO service once garmin says its over. in garmins defense, the have done a great job of supporting discontinued equipment, but when the parts are gone, party over, and that time is coming sooner than later for the GNS series.

plane and simple, a new install of a gns unit is a stupid idea given the price of used GNS units vs the in production units. If you have one, great, keep it or by a use unit to keep going, but installing one now is not a good idea, spend a few extra bucks and get a in production unit.

A
that is not a manual on how to fix the unit. note section 1.1:
1.1 MAINTENANCE/SUPPORT PHILOSOPHY Avionics shop repair is limited to replacing the parts listed in Section 6. All repairs can be made at the bench with an appropriate replacement spare part. Faulty parts listed in Section 6 (or a complete unit) can be returned to Garmin for repair. For information pertaining to spares stocking (suggested quantities, etc.) contact Garmin at one of the addresses listed on the inside cover. This manual is written for field shops not equipped with Garmin Automated Test Equipment (ATE) and not having access to Garmin proprietary repair documentation. Component level repair is not authorized. Send the unit to Garmin for repair when any troubleshooting, testing, or repair falls outside the scope of this manual (paragraph 1.3).
and section 4.2:
4.2 LIMITATIONS/SCOPE If any testing which is required and/or desired falls outside of the scope of what is described, return the unit to Garmin for repair.

and section 6: it lists the boards that can be replaced. NOT components. again, there will be NO service once garmin says its over. in garmins defense, the have done a great job of supporting discontinued equipment, but when the parts are gone, party over, and that time is coming sooner than later for the GNS series.

plane and simple, a new install of a gns unit is a stupid idea given the price of used GNS units vs the in production units. If you have one, great, keep it or by a use unit to keep going, but installing one now is not a good idea, spend a few extra bucks and get a in production unit.
A few extra bucks how do you figure? People are getting GNS units for five maybe six k that have already been upgraded to wass and then installing them if you do a brand new install on a 650 you’re looking about 12,000-$14,000 with parts unless you do it yourself. Not to mention Garman has done 2 price increases already this year. I like the 650 don’t get me wrong if I didn’t already have a good 430 I probably would’ve installed one like you said. But for some people the price point just isn’t there. Garmin is expensive. I sent an email to extremely reputable avionics shop in the Dallas area and they believe the same thing I do, another company will pick up the rights to the 430/530 series and continue to maintain them. Mid content or Duncan ..... we’ll see. How long ago did they stop making parts for a narco mark 12 but guess what you can still get that fixed. (Not sure why you would) but people do it. Garmin makes over $1000 on every unit that they fix that’s a huge revenue for them they’re going to look at their MTBF times and they’re gonna stock up on those parts when they say they’re discontinuing service for them. Like I said I just had a radio that was discontinued service in 2015 its end of service life was at the beginning g if the year that they fixed two weeks ago.

I find it hilarious that in a world where a very large number of us apparently don't hesitate to purchase, own and fly airplanes that have been out of production for 40, 50, 60 years or more, that someone is actually concerned there "won't be support" for the 20 year old GNS series; the runaway best-selling IFR navigators ever made (likely never to be surpassed in installed numbers).

Most of these airplanes, like my 1979, are not going to see another upgrade from a 430/530 to a different IFR navigator in the remainder of their life.

A

A few extra bucks how do you figure? People are getting GNS units for five maybe six k that have already been upgraded to wass and then installing them if you do a brand new install on a 650 you’re looking about 12,000-$14,000 with parts unless you do it yourself. Not to mention Garman has done 2 price increases already this year. I like the 650 don’t get me wrong if I didn’t already have a good 430 I probably would’ve installed one like you said. But for some people the price point just isn’t there. Garmin is expensive. I sent an email to extremely reputable avionics shop in the Dallas area and they believe the same thing I do, another company will pick up the rights to the 430/530 series and continue to maintain them. Mid content or Duncan ..... we’ll see. How long ago did they stop making parts for a narco mark 12 but guess what you can still get that fixed. (Not sure why you would) but people do it. Garmin makes over $1000 on every unit that they fix that’s a huge revenue for them they’re going to look at their MTBF times and they’re gonna stock up on those parts when they say they’re discontinuing service for them. Like I said I just had a radio that was discontinued service in 2015 its end of service life was at the beginning g if the year that they fixed two weeks ago.

your talking apples to oranges with the mark 12. those older radios were discrete thru hole designs. the GNS is a UHD surface mount design. very tricky to replace a component on, sometimes impossible. its a different world electronically. the new stuff is also very software intensive. lots of programmable chips in them. garmin will NEVER sell the source codes for them. for the most part, even garmin is a "pull the whole board" and replace it." when the supply of boards, and even more problematic, screens, dries up it is really game over. that is just the way it is in the electronic world now days. the days of component level repair is long gone.

Back